mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kind of on the same page as LSmorgan.

When I hear "vacant lot" I don't picture anything in particular except property that belongs to someone else.

I will admit to being "touchy" about private property - I've had many folks hunt on my land without permission - and then try to throw me off it,
I've had folks - many, many, many times - bring their detectors to my mining claim - without permission - and its been an issue for me over and over again.

Just because my house isn't there, doesn't mean its got stuff there for you to take. Heck, our house burned down in 1989 - and it did not take long for some jerk to come and try to steal what hadn't been burned down - starting with my lawnmower. (he was surprised that I was there, since I didn't have my truck with me).

As far as trash-strewn, junky lots - I make it a habit to buy those kinds of lots - clean them up, and sell them to folks who are looking for a decent place to live. On the other side of the coin - I've had people DUMP their trash on lots that I've owned. (that's always fun, to have to clean something up 10 times).

Which, is part of the reason why I said, in the beginning - if it was MY lot - I'd be turning you in.

But - I will tell you something else - and there are folks here, who know this - I have only turned down one person who wanted to detect my properties.
And, the one that I turned down - I actually gave him permission - and he showed up with an entire metal detecting club. (not the deal I gave him permission to do).

Beth

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Beth: I think this is one of those issues where perspective comes from experience.

Kinda like how you view your parents one way, until you have kids yourself...
Or how you view landlords a certain way, until you have tenants of your own to deal with...
As a boy, I always viewed incoming hurricanes as "exciting", until I grew up and personally had property that was almost in the path of one...

People who own land and have had to deal with inconsiderate trespassers are usually much more mindful of others private property rights than those who haven't.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LSMorgan,

You know - I think you might be right. I hadn't considered that - but, now that you mention it - I think you hit the nail on the head.

Beth

(PS: I remember the very first time I said something to one of my kids, that sounded vaguely familiar - and then I realized where I'd heard it from - my mother. And, for the first time, I said to myself - THAT'S why she said that) :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
LS morgan, you're right: a persons perspective on whether they'll detect a vacant abandoned lot, etc.... is often shaped by their own past, as per if they own property, had past "trashing" issues, etc.... Same, as you say, how we human's develope our attitudes towards landlords, if we are merely renters, verses if we've ever had rental properties and tennants of our own.

I would add to this, that the degree to which a person assesses risk, is also tied up in how badly they love detecting, how badly they want to find old coins, etc... The more addicted to this hobby you are, the more likely you are to simply "go", when things seem "innocuous".

I saw this first hand years ago, when our club eyed an upcoming demolition project, slated to go on at our old-town high school. Prior to the start of the demolition project (where turf was slated to be torn out), several of our members thought it was appropriate to go to city hall (or school district offices, or whatever), and ask permission. Others in the room bristled at this concept, saying "it's a public school, so why do you need to do that?" or "just go after 5pm when the workers cut out for the day, and I'm sure no one will care", etc...

As I looked around the room at the different persons chiming in their opinions on the matter, it was easy to see the division occured at the element of how hardcore a person was. Casual hunters, who tended to come in to the meetings with less old coins (ie.: only hunted beaches, sandboxes, etc...when the "pickens were easy"), tended to be on the side of only hunting this demo. if city officials signed off on permission. But the guys in the club who routinely came in with the oldies (ie.: the hardcore relicky type guys), tended to be the ones who said "just go".

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im currently faced with the same problem.

Empty unmarked lots where kids play pick up soccer games and whatnot.

Most of the properties are either so old that hunting up records will provide me with info of people long dead. The upside of this could be that the city has taken the property as the old homes were condemned and went undealt with by the owners. So.... I'll head over to the city find out which ones are in fact owned by the city.

A few months back I stopped in a small town where there was an old church that had fallen in. Next door was city hall so I popped in to see if anyone knew who owned it. The mayor himself told me the person who owned it had been dead for 80 years, I could hit the county records up, but I shouldnt hold my breath about getting info to contact next of kin etc. He called the chief of police over and we chatted. The mayor said go for it. The police chief told me that if they received a call, he would come and let me know that I would be warned off the property and I would leave.....end of story.

I certainly would at least make a showing at finding out and getting the blessing of the appropriate government office if you can. If the cops know what you are doing ahead of time, they are likely to leave you alone unless theres a complaint.

I live in Texas where trespassing can get you shot dead. So I do have a healthy appreciation for ownership and respect for it. However, I am trying to figure out where that comes to an end regarding neglected properties where the owner has effectively "abandoned" it.

I dont want to give detecting a bad name by doing this, but I sure hate to pass over a good hunt. Leaves me in a bit of turmoil.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Well the just go and do it, and face what ever risk may come:
Remember: 'ignorance is no excuse when it comes to the law.'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread