Top Ten New Detectorist Mistakes

dwentzel228

Greenie
Jun 25, 2011
Having ProPointer would keep many a newbie happier in the beginning. Taking the time to read the manual and fully understand your machine is a close second. Learning how resresent onself to the public is very important also. Clean plugs and common sense will be right up there also. I think number on for the general newbie stop watching all those auction and finding treasure shows, they don't realize that 98% of the time all we find is junck.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dwentzel228 said:
Having ProPointer would keep many a newbie happier in the beginning. Taking the time to read the manual and fully understand your machine is a close second. Learning how resresent onself to the public is very important also. Clean plugs and common sense will be right up there also. I think number on for the general newbie stop watching all those auction and finding treasure shows, they don't realize that 98% of the time all we find is junck.

junk adds up for the scrap yard,, one 13 old car batts got 850 bucks

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dwentzel228 said:

i like junk i found 13 car batterys once fews years back and got 850 bucks for scrap

S

stefen

It might be a good idea to outfit an emergency packet to be on the safe side...

Obviously batteries are the Number One primary concern as mentioned elsewhere in the post...

Toilet paper comes in handy at times...beats using oak leaves or poison ivy...

Bottled water, aspirins, gloves, hat and sun-screen, sunglasses should help round out an emergency packet...

Bandages, matches maybe...and anything else is up to each individual depending on their hunting techniques...

A bottle of Wild Turkey for that celebratory event :laughing7:

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
They say, it takes 10,000 cast to get a muskie. It probably takes 10,000 swings to get a good find. However, the main thing is to enjoy getting out and have fun not knowing what you will find. I've gone out on hunts and found very little. I'm tired and frustrated. Just before I leave I try one more spot and bingo... you hit the jackpot. Your whole day is made. There isn't a better feeling.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few givens in metal detecting. To make find a good it has to be there first, you have to put your coil over it, have your detectors set right (not discriminated out), dig without damaging, and recover the find.

Seems easy. Anyone with a few outing under their belt know it is not.

Some say it takes time:

Time to research, time to detect. The more time time you put in the more successful you can be.

Ed D.

cladHatter

Oct 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not bringing extra batteries!lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread