Cop Told me to stop and I said...

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bypassing him merely turns you into a jackass who bypassed him & this will guarantee that you will never get away with only a warning if he ever pulls you over for a traffic violation

And how would that make YOU the "jackass?"
I'm not directing this at YOU, just the situation.
See, this is the problem and why people loathe cops.

Ever have one behind you in your car, and you were doing NOTHING wrong?
How did you feel in the pit of your stomach? Do you think that's right to feel like that?
Do you think they feel BAD because you feel that way even though you have done NOTHING?
No. They get off on it. It's intoxicating to them.
You should HEAR the things that they say to each other when they think that they're alone with just "other cops" It would blow your MIND and disgust you.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
bsloan has the same thoughts as I do...

Collect up a bunch of trash, can's, nails, busted glass, some cheesy rusty costume jewelry and about 4 crappy pennies.

Dump said crap on City Clerks desk. Explain that Barney Fife instructed you to turn this all in. Request a receipt.

Do this three or four times. Think of the fun!

Don't forget to scan and post the receipts on TN for everyone to enjoy.

Pretty soon, NOBODY associated with the city want's to talk to you ever again. You're now free to hunt unfettered.

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You should HEAR the things that they say to each other when they think that they're alone with just "other cops" It would blow your MIND and disgust you.

I agree and should clarify that it doesn't make you a jackass in general, but it might make you a jackass in the cop's opinion.

I know a number of cops and know the cop mentality well. If one tells you not to do something and you go around him and get permission without him knowing you are doing it, you have knocked him off of his "pedestal" and thus will never be in his good graces again. Regardless of how one feels about the police, it is always smart to stay in their good graces. (especially if you don't always obey the posted speed limit)

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How did you feel in the pit of your stomach? Do you think that's right to feel like that?
Do you think they feel BAD because you feel that way even though you have done NOTHING?

Most of the time they don't even think about what YOU are thinking or feeling. They are too busy trying to figure out how to get to the next call without getting into an accident themselves when 3 lanes of interstate is blocked up for 5 miles. Or maybe they are thinking about the last wreck they just worked where a small child had just been killed....about how they wished they were home hugging their own. Yes, there are bad cops...but one should not put all cops in one category. If we as a society despise them soooo much...get rid of all of them....then see what you feel in the pit of your stomach when someone is bashing in your door at 2am in the morning....Guess I need to stay away from this post..Cheers all:occasion14:

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the time they don't even think about what YOU are thinking or feeling. They are too busy trying to figure out how to get to the next call without getting into an accident themselves when 3 lanes of interstate is blocked up for 5 miles. Or maybe they are thinking about the last wreck they just worked where a small child had just been killed....about how they wished they were home hugging their own. Yes, there are bad cops...but one should not put all cops in one category. If we as a society despise them soooo much...get rid of all of them....then see what you feel in the pit of your stomach when someone is bashing in your door at 2am in the morning....Guess I need to stay away from this post..Cheers all:occasion14:

You make good points.
Don't get me wrong, there are good ones. I have represented one against OTHER cops.
And I FEEL for those guys. They are ostracized and pushed out of the departments a LOT.

It's a hard job, it's just a shame that it has been overrun by a lot of bullies.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Diggit said:

Criminals fear cops as they should. ( well i hope they do) You have never been in law enforcement. You are so far off in left field on this one. Intoxicating. Please dude you have know idea. I only speak of my twenty five years of experience in the field. (retired).

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Criminals fear cops as they should. ( well i hope they do) You have never been in law enforcement. You are so far off in left field on this one. Intoxicating. Please dude you have know idea. I only speak of my twenty five years of experience in the field. (retired).
Thousands of hours of recorded evidence and sworn testimony of dozens of officers and departmental employees in three separate cases I have represented, as well as my OWN years before that?
YOU may have been an excellent officer, but I'm sorry, what I saw disgusted me.
I respectfully submit that your judgement is clouded.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I have know idea if you know what respect is. Oh a thousand hours is about forty days or so.

Last edited:

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have know idea if you know what respect is.
I think I DO. It is UPHOLDING that oath they took.
Do I have "automatic" respect for someone just because of their JOB? No. Absolutely not.
I have seen too many that abuse that.
I'm a realist, and I respect those that are honest.
try being on the OTHER side of the "Blue Wall of Brotherhood" some time.
Try being lied about, assaulted, and have your property seized by those who are SUPPOSED to protect you.

But that's ok. When the case came to court, the offenders were charged, and fired, and that department paid for my third degree, and it was in law.

And they have an enemy for life.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Diggit said:
I think I DO. It is UPHOLDING that oath they took.
Do I have "automatic" respect for someone just because of their JOB? No. Absolutely not.
I have seen too many that abuse that.
I'm a realist, and I respect those that are honest.
try being on the OTHER side of the "Blue Wall of Brotherhood" some time.
Try being lied about, assaulted, and have your property seized by those who are SUPPOSED to protect you.

But that's ok. When the case came to court, the offenders were charged, and fired, and that department paid for my third degree, and it was in law.

And they have an enemy for life.

There are two sides to a story somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Um yeah. I should say that being caught red handed with stolen evidence, planting evidence (taped) and being caught on video and audio surveillance abusing prisoners and lying about things is pretty much cut and dried.
I should think that was pretty "truthful"

I'm done with this, it is just back and forth bickering, I like you ticm and I respect your opinion, but you unfortunately I can't make you see what I saw.
That they're not all "good" nor are they all "heroic."
Which is a shame, because the good ones have to deal with that.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you had that encounter. Must have been a slow day law enforcement wise. I was LE for 25 years. Only once did I get crossways with a detectorist, and that was while working as a state park ranger. Some strange folks decided to shut down the meth lab for the day and cruise yard sales, where they picked up a very cheap metal detector. They came to the park armed with a few long handled shovels and dug big holes in one of the day use areas, threw out the beer cans they found, and left the holes. I very seriously took care of them. I hear they have a TV show based on that sort of activity now, but who would have known. Metal dectecting in Oklahoma state parks is allowed at the discretion of the park manager. We never worried much about it. I detected in my off duty hours. We did move the novice detectorists off the swim beach areas, and would tell them to come back when people weren't around. I detect the parks up here, but I do it in the off hours. Never a problem with the cops, so far. I detect or 'prospect' in the national forests here, but just mainly modern campsite areas. Had one encounter with a ranger there, who said 'Well, how's that square nail collection comin along?' (Smart a$$. I guess you're famous when even park rangers know what you find.)

Oswald

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm lucky cause in my area cops only talk to you if signs are posted against metal detecting. Usually even if there are signs they still don't care.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
another thought occured to me, along the lines of Terry's advice of "never hunt parks before 9am". The notion being, of course, is that we md'rs need to use a little .... uh .... "discretion" to simply not be in busy-bodies lines of sites, to begin with. Like nose-picking, you're ok if you don't parade it around, but no........ no one asks "can I pick my nose?".

And I notice that you say this is a one-cop town. That said, wouldn't it be logical to assume he's got a particular shift? Ie.: 8 to 5, or noon to 9, or whatever? So in the same way none of us would expect to parade ourselves in front of fidgety landscapers on their day to mow and maintain a park, then so too would I discern when other such lookie-lous (the cop in this case), is slated to be on duty.

Some may say "this is lawlessness" and so forth. But no, in the case of no actual written prohbitions in city code (and simply a case of a cop who nilly willy decides or morphs other things just 'cuz he's bored), then ....... I see nothing wrong with simply avoiding "just that one person". I mean, why kick a hornet's nest? Just avoid that one person's shift in the future. This is assuming, of course, his house isn't right there across the street or something.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I somewhat disagree with that old adage. Yes, there are 2 ides, but I normally tell both. I'm good like that :laughing7:

Here's another old adage that would fit. It's all in the luck of the draw.. Like many said, there are good officers, bad officers and officers that just want to be a pain. Learn how to deal with all of them :laughing7:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, this turned in to a cop bashing thread.

How about, instead of pissing and moaning about cops, we do something constructive and give GoldenEagle some useful advice.

Like perhaps how to go about getting permission to hunt in his local parks.

Maybe a lawyer type could even help him draft a proper letter to the Mayor.

Come on guys, I thought this was a forum for learing and helping each other out with treasure hunting, not the OPRA show.

John Silvered

Apr 18, 2012
Arrrrgh.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick story that is a life lesson. When I was 18ish two friends and I got VERY drunk and were looking for trouble. One of the friends got the idea that we should get on top of the High School roof and drink more there. (brilliant I know) So we did just that. Surprise, surprise the police showed up. We got off of the roof and "talked" to the two policemen. My friends were EXTREMELY abrasive and I was "yes sir, no sir, sorry sir" They got hauled off to jail. I was told to walk home.

The end.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Like perhaps how to go about getting permission to hunt in his local parks.

Only if there is a specific prohibition, to begin with. Otherwise, thinking you "need permission", is like thinking you "need permission" to fly a frisbee, or skip stones on the pond.

Sure, this doesn't stop a cop from morphing something ELSE to apply (like that they think you'll leave a mess, etc...). So too could the cop stop someone from flying a frisbee ('cuz you might poke someone's eye out), or skipping stones on the pond (because it disturbs the fish and wildlife mating).

Because the thing I would be afraid of, thinking I need to "pre-empt" potential morphings by busy-bodies, is that I might end up with a "no", from a deskbound bureaucrat, and simply preclude myself from hunting a park, where no one would actually have cared. This happened, for example, in my town: a newbie took it upon himself to waltz into city hall and "ask permission" (afterall, you can't be too safe, eh?). He found someone to tell him "no" (perhaps someone had images of geeks with shovels?? who knows!). But what was odd was, the parks here had simply been detected for ages, and no one cared! So now all of the sudden, when news of this newbie's answer circulated around, it was as if ...... "oh no, does this mean we can't hunt parks here now?". You see how it can back-fire, and simply become a self-fulfilling "squeeky wheel"? And then guess what will happen the next time that deskbound bureaucrat passes the park, and see another md'r out there (whom they'd probably never have noticed or given second glance to)? They'll remember the earlier inquiry, and start booting others! I've seen this happen.

So ... no ... if there's no specific prohibition, then just go. But for pete's sake, be a little discreet on timing issues, as just 'cuz there's no prohibitions, doesn't mean we should go kick hornet's nests.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA,
I see your point. It's a good one.
Then I guess the best way to go about it and not have your rights infringed would be to find out the local laws and ordinances.

I looked up the rules for my states parks.
I know in NJ they can always use this rule if youre digging in state parks and your town may have something on the books like this one.
Look at (A) & (C)

7:2-2.10 (Damage to Propert/tampering [digging])
(Rangers use this rule for digging)
(a) A person shall not abuse, mutilate, injure, destroy, move or remove any plant or animal or natural resource on lands and water under the jurisdiction or control of the State Park Service without having first obtained the permission of the Superintendent or designee. Authorized fish, game and wildlife activities are excepted.
(b) A person shall not deface damage, move or remove any furniture, equipment, structure, or physical feature of any kind on lands and waters under the jurisdiction or control of the State Park Service without the permission of the Superintendent or designee.
(c) A person shall not dig up, deface, or remove any soil, rock, historic or fossil materials or artifacts without written permission of the Director of the Division of Parks and Forestry or the Assistant Director of the Division for the State Park Service.
(d) A person shall not disturb, remove, damage, destroy or interfere with the pumps, pipes, gates, wires, dams, works and equipment of the State Park Service incident to the flow of water.
(e) An unauthorized person shall not open or enter any manhole or confined space without the specific approval of the Superintendent or designee.

If you can hunt there, when you dig, make the smallest plug you can making a V shape and flipping it over so as not to cut all the roots and possibly kill the grass in the plug. Put all the dirt on a rag or plastic sheet then use it to dump the dirt back in hole leaving no dirt on the adjacent grass and no trace of your plug. Maybe even spray the roots with water before replacing the plug.
Take all trash out of holes dug and dump in trash can. Also use trash to show people when asked what you are doing that you are helping by taking the trash out of the park.
Hunt in the early morning hours when the park first opens and there are very few people in it. That's called discression, you may have the right to hunt the park, but not flaunting that right in the middle of the day will help avoid problems and inconvienienances for you.
Also hunting early you might run into park workers. If they approach you, explain MDing to them, show them that you are not killing the grass, not leaving a trace of your digging and cleaning up the trash found. Be friendly with them. I have heard where people have done this and been told by the grounds keeper where there are good places to hunt and where people used to gather in the old days for big town events and fairs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions