Ticks

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lay out all my stuff I am wearing and spray all my outer clothing with this stuff.
It contains a chemical called Permanone.
31qJf8jC2wL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Learned this from my old deer hunting days.
The ticks will literally drop dead when they climb on your clothing.
Just do not spray it on your skin!
Read the directions.
Spray any exposed skin with regular bug or mosquito spray.
Also wear a hat and spray the outside of it.
Spray it on your boots.
And finally use an elastic band on the ends of your sleeves and pant cuffs to make a seal to keep them out.:thumbsup:

You can buy it at most Walmarts and department stores.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This worked for me. Move to an elevation above 9,000 ft.

OP
OP
L

lost hunter

Ace350 said:
I lay out all my stuff I am wearing and spray all my outer clothing with this stuff.
It contains a chemical called Permanone.

Learned this from my old deer hunting days.
The ticks will literally drop dead when they climb on your clothing.
Just do not spray it on your skin!
Read the directions.
Spray any exposed skin with regular bug or mosquito spray.
Also wear a hat and spray the outside of it.
Spray it on your boots.
And finally use an elastic band on the ends of your sleeves and pant cuffs to make a seal to keep them out.:thumbsup:

You can buy it at most Walmarts and department stores.

Thanks Ace Butler County was named number 1 in the state for Lyme

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard flea collars work against ticks. Just strap one on each leg. Warning, they will not stop chiggers.

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim , I must be getting better tasting as I get older the "old time" bug stuff's not working for me either. Tried some "Repel 100" I got in a sporting goods place and it seems to work real well! It's 100% DEET so I spray it onto a cloth and pin it to my hat so s to not get it on my skin and it works like a charm!

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
im amazed how often i hear about people getting ticks from the woods... since i was around 6 or 7 i have always wandered through the woods & tall grass and have yet to obtained a single chigger or tick :dontknow: always gotten plenty of mosquito bites though... they always swarm me lol.

OP
OP
L

lost hunter

Donovan.flannery said:
im amazed how often i hear about people getting ticks from the woods... since i was around 6 or 7 i have always wandered through the woods & tall grass and have yet to obtained a single chigger or tick :dontknow: always gotten plenty of mosquito bites though... they always swarm me lol.

I did a lot of hunting,camping, in Pa since I was very young. Never had a problem with ticks Only until the last few years did we see an increase in the ticks Now you even see them in the city parks and back yards

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deet is the secret, the chemical Permanone is probably good also I just can't say havent use it before. I'm from a place in NJ that is infested with them, alot of friends have the lymes disease and need medical attention full time because of it. Thee old timers will tell you if you are naturally attracting them you need garlic in your diet ? I personally love garlic so its not a problem for me, but if your trying to hunt deer garlic is not so good : (. Just try and keep your sleeves tight and wait for winter !

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Permethrin is the answer. The Walmart product mentioned above probably contains Permethrin. Soak your clothes in it and wear them when dry. The ticks should die on contact. Still seal socks and sleeves as added protection. Deet is not totally effective.

I invite anyone who believes they are naturally repellant to ticks to trail blaze thru NJ's pine barrens in June. I'll stand in my permethrin treated clothes at the roadside lint roller in hand to get as many of the little suckers off once you've finshed your walk. I would expect counts in the dozens if not over 100.

Tick infestation is one of the biggest complaints of geocachers in South jersey. One popular cache located a couple hundred feet down a trail from a parking area usually delivers tick counts of 25 plus for those who venture in search of the cache.

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Chiggers. They don't call them chiggers here in Mexico, but we certainly have them.

One trick which works on many but not all persons, when you have a really bad area covered with them on your body, use Listerine, totally wet a cloth with it, and hold it on the area for around 15 seconds. Some people almost instantly lose all the pain. But, I notice others do not benefit so much.

A friend took the kids with them to work in their avocado orchard. The little boy woke up with his crotch area totally covered with chigger bites. After the Listerine cure, he went happily off to school.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Actually, I buy the Equate product at Wal-mart. Not recommending it, if you can find a similar product elsewhere, go for it.

dhearn

Jan 3, 2012
Sallisbury MD
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to tractor Supply and get the spray they use for livestock, I use it all the time and a bottle of it cost around 20.00, you mix very little of it with water it will last forever. I have had my bottle for about 3 years now and still have plenty left. I use it all the time and never get tick or chiggers. Ticks are the worse i have ever seen them, My wife contracted Rocky mnt spotted fever and lime this summer from tick just in the yard. she never goes in the woods.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Go to tractor Supply and get the spray they use for livestock, I use it all the time and a bottle of it cost around 20.00, you mix very little of it with water it will last forever. I have had my bottle for about 3 years now and still have plenty left. I use it all the time and never get tick or chiggers. Ticks are the worse i have ever seen them, My wife contracted Rocky mnt spotted fever and lime this summer from tick just in the yard. she never goes in the woods.

Sorry to hear about your wife. i went ten rounds with lyme a few years ago. No fun!!! I can only imagine that rocky mountain was worse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread