Trigger squeeze, a ping and a dime.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
So I belong to this shooting range cause you don't wanna go out your back door and pop off a few rounds in NJ. Because you will end up in jail.

Well I took my M1 Garand with me to squeeze off some rounds. I filled the mag full and did a fast fire to warm up the barrel. If you have ever fired a Garand you know that ping noise it makes when it is empty and the magazine goes flying out of the rifle. Well it lands a few feet away so I go to get it. Right next to where it landed was this 58 silver dime.
Now that's good shooting.

image-931339350.jpg

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT FAIR.......not addressing the coin find.......How could such a mean fellow own and and get to enjoy shooting one of the finest firearms ever made and I have spent all afternoon adding tactical accessories to an ugly ole AR for a friend. And yes I have friends.....so long as I do free gun work anyway.:crybaby2:

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brings new meaning to the term :Coin Shooting" wouldn't you say... Cool find no matter how you found it..

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like one shot in a million.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right on!! I was at the range today but all I got for it was a bruised shoulder from the Mosin Nagant and a lot of empty casings.

OP
OP
ticm

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
Right on!! I was at the range today but all I got for it was a bruised shoulder from the Mosin Nagant and a lot of empty casings.

Man that's a fun shooter. I bought one of those about ten years ago. I take it out a least once a year. Has a hell of a kick.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a fun shooter. I could only put about 20 rounds out of it today. It kicked the hell out of me. I think my shoulderr can only take shooting that thing only once a year lol.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My wife sewed me up a multi tube denim pouch that will drape over my shoulder . Filled with several pounds of birdshot it will only add about a half inch of pull to a stock . Takes the bite out of most any recoil . I comfortably shoot my 7mag and
my Pedersoli Sharps .45/70 (loaded to .458Winmag specs) with this offhand . Glad to share if there is interest .
>
*History Note :
Neighbor was Sgt. in Army Engineers that went in on Iwo in the first wave and stayed until the campaign was finished .
When I got a Garand he showed me a couple of tricks they developed to combat Japanese there , mostly used during night assaults on their defensive positions .
>
> Learn to catch that clip when it flies in the air and speed reload a fresh clip in the same motion . Enemy soldiers were prone to charge when they heard that empty clip hit the ground . The ping when it ejected was harder to hear on a battlefield .
Throwing an empty clip when there was firing from your position could entice the enemy to charge you while you were holding a fully loaded rifle .

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
My wife sewed me up a multi tube denim pouch that will drape over my shoulder . Filled with several pounds of birdshot it will only add about a half inch of pull to a stock . Takes the bite out of most any recoil . I comfortably shoot my 7mag and
my Pedersoli Sharps .45/70 (loaded to .458Winmag specs) with this offhand . Glad to share if there is interest .
>
*History Note :
Neighbor was Sgt. in Army Engineers that went in on Iwo in the first wave and stayed until the campaign was finished .
When I got a Garand he showed me a couple of tricks they developed to combat Japanese there , mostly used during night assaults on their defensive positions .
>
> Learn to catch that clip when it flies in the air and speed reload a fresh clip in the same motion . Enemy soldiers were prone to charge when they heard that empty clip hit the ground . The ping when it ejected was harder to hear on a battlefield .
Throwing an empty clip when there was firing from your position could entice the enemy to charge you while you were holding a fully loaded rifle .

I saw a program on the History channel about the bocage fighting in Normandy in the days following D-Day, from the German side. A question was posed to a ex German soldier if it was true they could tell when an American soldier's Garand was empty by the pinging sound made as the enbloc clip ejected. The German soldier said that was a myth. He said with all of the rifle and machine gun fire going on they couldn't hear a thing, let alone a spring steel clip ejecting from a rifle.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love shooting my Garand! Just wish the ammo wasn't so high. I would love to know of it was carried in the Pacific or Europe. If only that rifle could talk!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garand is absolutely one of those few things you run across in life that just seems perfect. As much as any man-made thing can be anyway. If you don't mind shooting something in that power level it can make a descent shooter look like a sure enough hero. It was so superior to the 98 in its intended role, that it almost made ya feel sorry for the Germans....ALMOST. :laughing7:

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
>
*History Note :
>

There is definate interest with me to make that recoil a little less. It kicks to the point it is almost not fun to shoot.

That is a interesting history lesson. I have hear that from other vets as well. I have to say that M1 Garand is one of the finest firearms ever made. Next to my '03 Springfield .30-06! :headbang:

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's some shooting..ha...nice find and sure you enjoyed popping that old thumb crusher...they are a blast...

OP
OP
ticm

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Hawgwild said:
Now that's some shooting..ha...nice find and sure you enjoyed popping that old thumb crusher...they are a blast...

Well I still have my thumb intact so i guess i am doing something right. I wonder how many guys have smashed there thumb while loading up.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Well I still have my thumb intact so i guess i am doing something right. I wonder how many guys have smashed there thumb while loading up.
M1 thumb was a common term when I was growing up . Brought home to us by returning vets of War 2 and Korea .

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Dirtdiggerdave,
I don't dispute what you saw on the history channel about fighting in Normandy . The Philippines Campaign was an entirely different enemy and the tactics were not the same . Aren't many vets from that first wave on Iwo or any of the other islands left to talk to , if any .
Their accounts are a matter of written first hand public record . I believe what I was told first hand and read from those who were there .

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lets see m1 and silver thats is a happy dance

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
Dirtdiggerdave,
I don't dispute what you saw on the history channel about fighting in Normandy . The Philippines Campaign was an entirely different enemy and the tactics were not the same . Aren't many vets from that first wave on Iwo or any of the other islands left to talk to , if any .
Their accounts are a matter of written first hand public record . I believe what I was told first hand and read from those who were there .

Not that I don't believe what the vet told you, I find it hard to believe with the commotion of combat going on all around, with all the rifle and machine gun fire, a disciplined soldier would leave his cover to charge a position solely on the action of an enbloc clip ejecting and hitting the volcanic sand of Iwo Jima, if he could hear it at all. It's not like all of the Marines had to reload at the same time, and it only takes a few seconds to reload a garand. While it is possible to catch an ejected enbloc and reload a full clip in a single motion, I can't see where it is practical since one would need to have a clip in hand before ejection of the spent clip. I tend to believe what the German soldier said about not being able to hear much of anything during a battle because of the intense noise created during the a firefight. While you are correct that the enemy the Marines faced on Iwo Jima was different from what the Army faced in Normandy, the sound of gunfire and the trauma it causes on the unprotected human ear does not change. I guess anything is possible and the Japanese were known to charge positions on a whim. I wasn't there and I can't say what really happened to your neighbor.
Just a side note, was your neighbor on Iwo or in the Philippines? I ask because your first post mentioned Iwo and your follow up to me mentioned the Philippine campaign. Not that it matters, but it was two different campaigns and branches of US forces fighting those battles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread