Messy Holes!!! not good

ozbach

Nov 16, 2009
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac/ xp Deus?/equinox 800
The last couple outings my friends and I have seen at local parks, are nasty huge holes most likely done with a full size shovel....some of these were up to 18 inches across, with many cuts too the sod....then they would just throw the sod back in unorganized, even grass side down, some holes had the pull tabs and junk laying right next too them....this is no exageration....This is going to ruin it for the rest of us...maybe there should be a sticky note under every category on here on hole digging procedures.....I tried fixing some of the holes while at these places. It is sickening to see this....Lets do our best to get this info out! Thank You!

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scumbags. I am so with you on this. Most people here leave the place better than they found it-

especially the beach.

I wouldnt let a kid on the beech without flip flops judging from some of the cr#p i ve found.
ie an open knife.

You can't account for idiots.

rory

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a full size shovel on my own property, and even using one of those you don't have to leave any evidence you were ever there. Some people are just lazy. I don't think the vision of someone in a park using a full size shovel is a good visual. I wouldn't.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morons that's what they are Morons

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That kind of behavior really is low,especially when we have asked permission to detect in an area where others have been and not been very considerate and get turned down.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That type of behavior is common in every hobby,Not just in the MD world,It makes you think of the saying "One Bad Apple,Spoils The Whole Darn Bunch"
If i myself were to see someone that behaved in this manner at one of my local parks,Id be the first to report him to the office,even if it meant having MD`ing ban for all of us in a paticular area,If you want respect,You give respect to others,By leaving open holes in a public park thats showing disrespect to other visitors as well as disregard for the children and adults who utilize the area for other activities that aren`t MD related.Softball,baseball,soccer,etc.A 8 inch deep hole to the ankle in full sprint is no good for anyone.Im sorry to hear about this but do your part to have it corrected immediately,Alot of times,Park officials would rather ban a single person as to ban an entire activity that brings visitors to a certain area,especially if the hobbiest shows consideration to others.

HH John

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the one's that scratch there way down digging a trench
dirt is flying
while I walk up push my small shovel three time's down and flip
there it is
put back and move on..

Sliverandgold

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We seen this happening at a park north of where I live as well, a couple of weeks ago. Someone had obviously used a full sized shovel. And they made no attempt what so ever to put the dirt back in the holes. It is very sickening. I'm betting it's one individual hitting all the parks. I'd love to catch the culprit.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man.. I can take you to some civil war camps where MDers have gone in there and it looks like WWII land mines went off in every direction. one camp was so dug out you could jump hole to hole for yards and yards.... it really is awful.. :censored:

MuDcAke

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
I'm new to metal detecting and as a beginner I did extensive research on plugging before i even went out on the field. I know it sounds stupid, but i wanted to make sure i wasn't gonna ruin it for the veterans before me. I went to my local park here in southern CA. And a park ranger approached me to see what i was doing and explained to him the process of plugging and showed him all the trash i had unearthed as well as the clad I collected. He was pretty cool about it and told me I was free to MD anywhere in the park as long as continued to leave the grass the way I showed him, and that if anyone had any problems with me MD'ing to give them his name and he will gladly tell them he gave me the OK.

62dold

Jan 13, 2013
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white, bounty hunter, white tresure ray,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend that i let him use a detector of mine. He wanted to start hunting treasure with me. I instructed him in the true ways of metal detecting, always back fill the hole,with the grass on top. He took off like a whirel wind and never looked back. After about an hour i followed his trail ( open holes ) I filled them in, took my metal detector back and told him this sport is way above his skills and I Q . Maybe he should apply for a job with city digging ditchs. I do not and will not invite any one who does not resprct the sport.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
This is getting to be a problem again. For many years it had subsided but is rearing its head again. There are several reasons.

The easy to use detectors and their availability in department stores, along with the ease of purchase on the internet have put them in a lot of peoples hands who do not get proper instruction in target recovery.

Some of them don't care about proper target recovery. Anyone who sees nothing wrong with using a shovel, making a mess, and not even filling it in, is a piece of $%^& anyway. They have a mental problem to do that to public property. It is vandalism and property damage. And there are some who have been at it a long time who fall into this category.

The availability of those nice and sturdy relic shovels has inadvertently added to the problem. They are not intended to be used in parks or the like. But there are people buying them and apparently thinking that it's ok to use them in lawns. They are SHOVELS! They are only used in fields and woods. NEVER in a lawn.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just came in from a local park looking around at some old cellar holes and the first thing I noticed was the holes all over the place that some moron left open So if they stop all detecting at Moraine State Park and all other State Parks here in Pa then so be it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread