The Elite In This Hobby

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had to get this off my chest . On more than one occasion in these MD forums I read where someone is excited about their new low cost detector (One brand in particular) . Someone responds to the post with statements along these lines " That detector might be all right for you a beginner , (BUT I) would not even want to be seen with that brand of detector " Making it sound like this persons high abilities puts them in some elite group of MD'ers .(I suspect these persons have not really accomplished that much out detecting but try to make themselves feel superior at the expense of others.) Thanks for letting me vent .. and good luck with your detecting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herb, do me a favor, next time you see that happen as you describe, please report it....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a cheap detector and it has paid for itself 15 times over since November 1. It's not the machine, it's the user. I had a machine that cost 4 times more from another manufacturer and it was a steaming pile of junk. Sold it real fast. And, I am NOT in the elite. I am in the dirt. herb n surf, I'm with you. I've seen the guys with the super expensive machines using them going 25 mph on straightaways and swinging them a foot off the ground. I do much better then they do....

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
I enjoy my low end machines.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hobby is 25 percent knowledge,25 percent location,and 50 percent luck!!! The Angelo Saxon Hoard was found with the garrett ace 250,I mean as far as proof goes for an entry level machine,what more could you ask for?? Alot of ppl as you have described are just upset that there 3k detector didnt come with a pedestal for them to stand on.

HH John

Last edited:

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
The only group I want to be part of is the one finding all the loot! I don't think they mean to sound rash, you can tell a beginner from his posts. I think their just very experienced with the BRAND or MODEL your referring to. The Group your talking about probably have already experienced the low end machines and understand why they need high end specialty models at this point. I've never seen a negative post here about someone's beginning detector, just lots of thumbs up ! and words of encouragement.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking of upgrading the Omega 8000 for an F 75 just to step outside the box of teknetics for a while,The type of hunting i do is covered fairly well by the omega,If i get an f 75 it will probably be the last upgrade i make for a few years,Im really just after that extra bit of depth so i can cover some sites ive already pounded with my current machine.

S

stefen

MD units are like Opinions...everybody has one...(made a last minute correction):laughing7:

You use what you can beg, borrow, steal, or can afford...

It's like I drive a Ford and several chebbies...a 55 truk and a Corvette...

A low ender, a mid-range and high end street machine...They fit my personal criteria and if someone wants to be critical, they can stuff it...:icon_thumleft:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched the youtube video of the unemployed guy who had a 40 British pound detector that he bought at a thrift store went out and found a huge hoard of silver and gold.
Nothing wrong with low end machines. They find loot also.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's more luck than any thing with a low end detector...the right spot at the right time
because the detector didn't make any difference. but the loop has to go over it first no matter what..

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The camera does not make the photographer. The rifle does not make the shootist. The car does not make the driver. The plane does not make the fighter pilot. I could go on, but the point is make. I've been in photography for over fifty years. Give Ansel Adams my camera and give me his and he will still take better pictures than I will. Give a Newbie any Detector you want, give me a basic unit and I will still find more than the Newbie until he catches up in exerience. Most people need to spend more time with a good basic unit and learning it inside out before they consider a high-tech detector. Experience and knowing your machine is the best path to success.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am SO disappointed! :dontknow: When I saw the thread title, I thought for sure we were going to get the inside scoop on the "Gary Drayton Report." He has successfully slipped my private investigator's surveillance efforts in Fort Lauderdale twice now! :laughing7:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm guilty with what you speak about but on the OPPOSITE end of the spectrum.
Not necessarily online but in the real world, I take great pleasure in following behind the one sporting a high-end machine.
.....and I sure do find a lot!
I also enjoy blowing an expensive, decked out car off the line with my old, rusted-out Suzuki Swift.
It's not the object itself, but the ego that goes with it that brings out the competitive side of me.
I cheer for the underdogs.
Like the NHL, when the team that barely makes the playoffs, beat the team with the highest paid players.
The underdogs won because they played together as a TEAM, while on the other side, the high paid guys think they can win the game all on their own.
Same with detecting. Often the one with the low-end machine hunts as a team whereas the one with their fancy, high-end gadget thinks the machine does it all for them.
This of course is a generalization and does not apply to all people but it felt good to type it out. ;D
If anyone acts like an elitist, it's only because they have to convince themselves that they're hot stuff.
In school, I used to bully bullies. It's just my personality.
So, if you're a detecting elitist, bring your fancy machine down and I'll hand you a can of ass whopping!:headbang:
Maybe then you'll learn to be a little more humble in life.
Cheers,
Dave.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If you have a reasonable detector, it's 50% skill & 50% luck. My general purpose detector is a 13 year old Whites XLT and it has found just about every type of target that can be found. I have some other brand detectors that work and locate just as well for there type.
Two things that I hate to see are: 1 The BRANDED TH who thinks his brand detector is the only good one. You have seen him " Don't leave home without it type". 2: The LATEST & GREATEST TH who thinks they are superior to all older models. The thing is a guy with an older detector probably knows better how to use it than a guy with a new one. And the learning curve increases with each new model. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hobby is 25 percent knowledge,25 percent location,and 50 percent luck!!! The Angelo Saxon Hoard was found with the garrett ace 250,I mean as far as proof goes for an entry level machine,what more could you ask for?? Alot of ppl as you have described are just upset that there 3k detector didnt come with a pedestal for them to stand on.

HH John

your numbers are a bit off.....to consistently be sucessfull at this you better put in the time,and the majority of that time is through research.Sure a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then,but to say that its a majority luck is flat BS,if so,there are more than one on here that better start buying lots of lotto tickets!!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a reasonable detector, it's 50% skill & 50% luck. My general purpose detector is a 13 year old Whites XLT and it has found just about every type of target that can be found. I have some other brand detectors that work and locate just as well for there type.
Two things that I hate to see are: 1 The BRANDED TH who thinks his brand detector is the only good one. You have seen him " Don't leave home without it type". 2: The LATEST & GREATEST TH who thinks they are superior to all older models. The thing is a guy with an older detector probably knows better how to use it than a guy with a new one. And the learning curve increases with each new model. Frank

View attachment 732699

....you too with the luck.....you guys really need to think about it!!Look at Aquachigger,Crusader,Buckleboy.....just a couple that choose to share what they find.........you look at there finds and tell me about "luck"

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
kuger, You are entitled to your opinion the same as I am entitled to mine and in all the research I have done, I haven't found an X on a map yet. Look at all the Civil War maps that do not show the sites of the skirmishes accurately. Look at all the cache stories that are fabricated, changed, added to etc. That's why it is 50% lucky guessing. No one hits 300 in this game! Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do agree with what you are saying, When I first started this hobby, I was reading peoples post on what machines to get as a "Starter" machine, and from all the feedback I got, I learned all the machines suck..lol..everyone has there own opinion... I dont even pay attention to it anymore...I find awesome stuff with my machine, which many people hate. I dont ever even try and sway someone towards what I use

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some nice detectors on the market. Just how it goes for me ,were i to learn a current best unit and get cocky some kid with a magnet with stick and string would pull an amazing find where i,ve been. (Muddyhandz style :happysmiley:). Same as fishing where i have learned not to say "that won,t work". Should i proclaim myself elite it won,t be due to a detector. Just my incredible skill!l.o.l.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger, You are entitled to your opinion the same as I am entitled to mine and in all the research I have done, I haven't found an X on a map yet. Look at all the Civil War maps that do not show the sites of the skirmishes accurately. Look at all the cache stories that are fabricated, changed, added to etc. That's why it is 50% lucky guessing. No one hits 300 in this game! Frank

View attachment 732717

.....so those guys just go stumbling out through the woods and just fall luckily into sites on a consistent basis???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread