using headphones

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
THat's OK. They probably don't make them for that size head.

Some express reasons, while others, who have no reasons just make snide remarks. It's probably a measure of there intelligence. lol Frank... skull etc 019-3-Resting Rose.jpg

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Head Phones are expensive and I think the learning curve would be too steep. Next you guys are gonna tell me I need a Pin Pointer too.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use headphones because trying to swing the detector with my ear next to the speaker has put a crook in my neck.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just look at the screen, if its on the screen it has to be true right? LOL. Let me explain myself. I don't dig holes as I like to cover more ground. I get more finds that way. My F75 goes down 2'. now can you imagine me digging a 2' foot hole every 6 minutes. Yes 6 minutes, my wife timed me, it takes me a average of 6 minutes to get a good silver signal. I probe/pluck my targets. If your going for old deep stuff, yes you need head phones. My F75 does a good job without them. See Im half deaf and half blind anyway, so yes head phones help when I will wear them. But I have some serious volume on the Fisher, you should hear the coyotes yelp when I detect in the desert at night....lol.

OP
OP
R

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't wear them either. Dig twice as much as my friends that do. I wear them sometimes if I'm in a place where my speaker might bother someone, or in a place where I don't want to be bothered. Whatever works for you is best. Interesting forum. Tennessee.
yes tennessee, i agree, those two situations and if i am near a highway with alot of traffic i have used them.

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
racer117 I am surprised at your response. You must have a bad 250, or it's set up bad. Either way, good or bad, you wont hear the deep faint stuff like deep nickels and Indian head cents at 7 inches or so, unless you use headphones. You just wont be able to hear 'em. Every metal detector gives faint sounds, but you wont know it unless you gots your phones on. You just wont hear them otherwise. It's as simple as it gets.
I guess you have never heard an Ace 250's tones.I used them with my old Whites 6000 DI.When I get my new Safari,I will use them.and no,the Ace is not set up bad,not a lot of falsing.hover one over a quarter,and see if you don't toss the headphones off.

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
I'm really surprised that there is only one mention of using earbuds instead of headphones (Joe Hunter). I have been using ear buds for years now. Can't put those old heavy clunky head phones back on again! Get a good quality set with a volume control in the leads and you wont want to go back to using headphones again.

OP
OP
R

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really surprised that there is only one mention of using earbuds instead of headphones (Joe Hunter). I have been using ear buds for years now. Can't put those old heavy clunky head phones back on again! Get a good quality set with a volume control in the leads and you wont want to go back to using headphone s again.
i am going to try the earbuds. thanks mxtman2.

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think this is a good question and one i ask my self , since i am not a spring chicken and years of loud music/construction noises have ruined my hearing i have a hell of a time keeping up with some of these comments about the " ping " of silver or " whisper " of a deep coin.

i mainly depend on my display, if its a constant mid to high number i dig it, and since i have never found silver ( still waiting only been doing this for around 8 months ) i have no idea what silver sounds like...

but i did buy me a addaptor last night and will be using my sons skull candy ear buds next trip to see if it sounds better.

as for the debate of not knowing what you miss or you may have missed the best because you couldnt hear them ? i can see where that would be true, but how can ya miss what you have never found .

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't use phones, use a single ear plug. The kind you use to get with those new fangled transistor radios I like to keep a free ear.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIG YOURSELF A HOLE , DROP IN A PIECE OF SILVER :IE, DIME QUARTER ETC.
AND PRACTICE ON IT,DIFFERENT DEPTHS,SIDEWAYS ON EDGE & SO FORTH.
AND MANY MORE.
HH
SS DIDNT MEAN CAPS.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that looks like a wreck gleaner .lol

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do not just get a set of headphones, get a good pair. I just dumped the pair that came with my detector and bought a pair of Gray Ghost head phones and it made a huge difference. not only do they amplify deep targets but they limit too loud ones and save your ears.

OP
OP
R

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not just get a set of headphones, get a good pair. I just dumped the pair that came with my detector and bought a pair of Gray Ghost head phones and it made a huge difference. not only do they amplify deep targets but they limit too loud ones and save your ears.
where did you get the gray ghost head phones?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread