dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Three years ago my mom and I combined funds to buy a $180 Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I've since upgraded, but together we've found thousands of coins with it, almost a hundred wheaties, coins back to 1848, dozens of rings (including two golds I sold to a refinery for $408 and two mom sold for $420), etc. etc. etc.

Soon after we purchased it I was on here asking for advice. Some of the best were: Dig Everything; and Trust Your Ears. Both were incredibly valuable, as I learned to listen very carefully; even while on sweeping a split second sound might be better than another, leading me to refocus. Digging everything has gotten us a lot of great finds despite a "low-sounding" or low-number tone. If it's strong sweeping in every direction, dig it! And there are a tremendous amount of cool pins, badges, buttons, etc. that are made out of random metals.

A $200 detector would imo serve you very well for a long time. Just be aware there may be a long learning curve. Took me a month to get used to our Bounty Hunter, then another month to get used to my Teknetics upgrade. Don't be discouraged! Your ears and technique and digging time will all get better. And of course, I imagine just about every single detector here finds 10X as much bottlecaps and pulltabs as good finds. If you find a ton of them in area--at least take solace that other detectorists may not have been there!

This is some good advice...the only thing I would add is skip buying a cheap detector and just buy a nice one to begin with. Seems everyone who buys a cheap one replaces it shortly after with a more expensive one. Cheaper to just buy a good one to begin with...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Now I know it is cabin fever time when a guy says his Bounty Hunter is better than his two high price units. Question is, why did he pay the big bucks if the B. Hunter was so good? I guess it's time to put on the waders.
Frank...
Bull 3.jpg
Must be time to give out the award. lol

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Now I know it is cabin fever time when a guy says his Bounty Hunter is better than his two high price units. Question is, why did he pay the big bucks if the B. Hunter was so good? I guess it's time to put on the waders.
Frank...
View attachment 928388 Must be time to give out the award. lol

LOL!!

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well frankn...Bought the xterra an bh at same time so I would have back up and 1 for friend. What it sounds like to me is that u have either never used a bounty hunter or even thought of using one because of the name. Im not a brands guy and I tend to give honest and unbiased opinions on most anything I do.My suggestion to u would be borrow someones BH 505 an see for yourself...but only if u can remain unbiased in your evaluations.......Thanks barry

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and frankn......read the post a little more carefully.....I never said it was better than the other detectors......Thanks barry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread