KNEE PADS SLIP DOWN TO YOUR ANKLES???

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was getting really frustrated with my knee pads. They always wind up around my ankles. After trying 4 different kinds all of them slipped. Recently I was detecting with friends that also were wearing knee pads. They did not slip once. Then I realized the difference in what was going on. They were wearing shorts and I long pants. Thought I would see what would happen if I wore the knee pads under my pants. (not going to wear shorts with old man legs lol) I put them on and lo and behold they did not slip. Not even once. However the knees on my pants were really dirty. To solve that problem I grabbed a pair of old pants and cut off sections of the legs big enough to cover my knees. Slipped them on over my pants, and wrapped duct tape to hold them, detected all day with the grass damp. Came home, took the pant legs off and not one spot of dirt. All better now. I am posting this here and in todays finds cause I know some of you do both surf and turf. HH All GFP

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Dang gold fever pete - it might be easier just to hire some young kid to get down and dirty!
killingme.gif

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil.
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Between my job and metal detecting I pretty much wear knee pads 7 days a week.
Yes they do slip. It's frustrating to pay 20 some dollars for knee pads and have them around your ankles in a matter of minutes. Then after a while the velcro wears out and they just fly off your knees.
So now I carry rolls of electrical tape in the trunk of my car and on my truck. I do about 1 and 1/4 wraps around the knee with the tape and the pads stay put all day.
You should see the wads of used tape in the trunk of my car. lol

Skwerly

Jan 24, 2013
Yucaipa, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
haha, that's a pretty good trick! i used knee pads when i was welding a lot and had the same issues. now i just get my pants/knees dirty, i don't care anymore. :D

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carhart with the ability to slide Soft Knee pads in them work great. I bought these pants so i could crawl on the floor with my grandson. No really I did, love 'em! Once you slide the soft knees into the slot on the pants they stay there. I should have bought these ten tears ago.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try "cris-crossing" the straps on the knee pads........if each has two straps.....works for me and I'm 68 with old man fat legs.......HH

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i read a post some one else die a few weeks ago with a great idea, take a old pair of jeans that are due for the trash can and cut some material and sew them to the knees of your MDing pants leaving the top open , he used a mouse pad in the pocket and said it worked well . i will be doing this soon my self.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When I used to go spelunking I wore the athletic kind. No Velcro or clips or hard rubber, just elastic and padding. If things were a bit more rugged I'd find the duct tape and secure them in place. Nothing to damage the day like hamburger knees. Also wat less than 20 bucks.

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use hard cap knee pads that have the buckle and strap and have never had them go to my ankles. Need to cinch them up every once in awhile because the bending does loosen up the strap a little but I have gone 7-8 hours without cinching sometimes.

H

Holly_squirrel

I'm not sure if it's laziness on my part or what... But I don't bother.. I have destroyed just about all my jeans with muddy knees. I get excited at a good signal and gloves and the sweatshirt I brought to kneel on end up getting thrown to the side. Or worse I end up using the shirt to put the dirt on ... Cause I misplaced my bandana ( meanwhile it's been in my back pocket all along)
My husband installs hardwood flooring and uses kneepads they sell for lacross or something like that . Course his knees look like elephant skin , but he wears his for 12 hours at a time . They are elastic n padding, no straps

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't kneel. I use a long handled garden spade that I kick to dig my plug, then just bend over, using my detector to steady myself, and finish the dig.

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was getting really frustrated with my knee pads. They always wind up around my ankles. After trying 4 different kinds all of them slipped. Recently I was detecting with friends that also were wearing knee pads. They did not slip once. Then I realized the difference in what was going on. They were wearing shorts and I long pants. Thought I would see what would happen if I wore the knee pads under my pants. (not going to wear shorts with old man legs lol) I put them on and lo and behold they did not slip. Not even once. However the knees on my pants were really dirty. To solve that problem I grabbed a pair of old pants and cut off sections of the legs big enough to cover my knees. Slipped them on over my pants, and wrapped duct tape to hold them, detected all day with the grass damp. Came home, took the pant legs off and not one spot of dirt. All better now. I am posting this here and in todays finds cause I know some of you do both surf and turf. HH All GFP

Aren't those "ankle pads" then??? :laughing7:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll look into this more,but sitting in a doctor's office a while back I saw a gel that you can squezze onto your knees or elbows that is harmless to your skin,but stays on untill you wash it off with warm water.This would solve that problem of slipping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread