So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Its already 12 years old frank, and I can pin point with it just as fast as one with a concentric coil on it.
Not sure why folks told me you have to pin point off the toe or heel mine works dead center.
Though like I said earlier, I'd take my old fisher any day over it, the screen is a waste of time.

Mike

It pinpoints dead center of which coil winding? I like the old Fishers too, but the ones I like were made by J W Fisher. I got to admit that I don't need a screen on my Surfmaster because I scoop every signal at the beach. Now on soil, I want every advantage I can get. When You get as old as me and your hearing starts to fade, you really like that extra help from the screen. Just my point of view. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old blue 2001 Excal gets beaten to death in the surf, bought it used and eventually had OBN go through it and add a few mods. Quite frankly, I'm surprised I've not had issues given the beating it has taken on a routine basis. Even with the extra coils I still don't have $1000.00 invested in it and it has paid for itself several times over. So there is a lot be said for buying "pre-owned" if you can find a descent machine at descent price. A lot like cars in most cases, as soon as it's bought it instantly depreciates. My only worry is if I ever have to replace it, finding another good used one at a good price ain't going to be easy.

I have owned 3 excals and not a one was bought new. I let others absorb the initial depreciation of the detector.

I'm same as scoop, mine have custom mods, 15 inch coils, Amphibian headphones and pinpoint mods on the hand grip for easy switching between pp and disc mode for reverse hunting..

I would have no problem getting all my money including cost of the mods back if I wanted to sell...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also of the mind to never jump in from the get-go when new models are offered.....seems there's always a few bugs that end up having to be worked out, if they can be worked out, or "regional/environmental" issues that eventually start coming into play. The sad part in all of this is that most new improvements are only "baby steps" in the first place, the added advantages seldom adding up to "a lot" more gold & goodies and really only offering an advantage on a microscopic scale. Just once I'd like to have a machine in my hand that actually points the way to buried gold & platinum. :laughing7:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't really know the answer frank, the damn thing is so complicated, menu, settings wise, even with the book from Andy sabish I still am lost.
Pic below of the coil, Lil dot in the center, when I pinpoint, the target is dead under the dot.
IMG_20140429_155707.jpg

Mike

Edit, dunno if its supposed to work that way or not, everybody I talked to, including the guy I got it from says it points off the toe or heel, dunno after playing with it, I managed to figure out by raising and lowering the coil, like I do on my 1265 that I could pinpoint that way.
The difference between the ones made at Los banos and the later made ones, the Los banos ones acted like they are on steroids, I'm taking an educated guess, that the ones made in Los banos were made with top shelf components.
Since I have ran it side by side with a later fisher labs 1265, and mine out performed it by a good 25%.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike the toe and heel was just a way to help people who had trouble pinpointing using center. We told them that if you moved coil back till pp tone disappeared it was just off the toe or moved coil forward till it disappeared it was just off the heel...it still pinpoints in center of coil.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Bottom line is what do you expect this thread to accomplish? A revolt, manufacturers to lower their prices?

sent from a potato...

Well for you, probably nothing. But I've single handedly got free additional extra coils going out with every new 3030 from this day forward. A subtle attempt at redemption, but Its still overpriced, (waaaayyyyy)

You guys should get a room and stop making excuses, changing the subject and just embrace your buyers remorse.

Everyone here knows I'm right and feels exactly the same way....
Go ahead, push the like button, tell me what a great guy I am, and once again, Have a nice day!!! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, wait a minute, not single handedly, I will be making a list of contributors through who's valid points and valuable experience have also demonstrated their willingness to make their voices heard....

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lol!! No buyers remorse...

sent from a potato...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well for you, probably nothing. But I've single handedly got free additional extra coils going out with every new 3030 from this day forward. A subtle attempt at redemption, but Its still overpriced, (waaaayyyyy)

You guys should get a room and stop making excuses, changing the subject and just embrace your buyers remorse.

Everyone here knows I'm right and feels exactly the same way....
Go ahead, push the like button, tell me what a great guy I am, and once again, Have a nice day!!! :)

Everyone agreeing......ROFLMBO

Not a single remorse from me for buying any of my Minelabs at all...None of any of my hunting partners have expressed any remorse either...

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Juice, or sour grapes?
I'll reiterate the complaints I made earlier: lack of color monitors/graphics on most machines, lack of water resistance/waterproof on most land machines, lack of durability on many machines. Again, not stomping mad or anything, but yeah, the manufacturers could step it up a bit.
----------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
Do you really need a color monitor? I use an XLT for my general land usage. I don,t hunt in the rain or in water so why should it be waterproof? I use a Surfmaster on the beach which is waterproof. You talk of lack of durability, perhaps you bought the wrong detector! The two above are 13+ years old, never been back to the manufacturer, and are still paying dividend with great finds. Maybe I just picked the wright detectors. Frank...
View attachment 986103

Big handed Frank...
Your metal detector has never once paid you a dividend, Nor has it ever paid for itself.

You have paid for it several times over by filling your SUV with $122 worth of unleaded and driving out to La Jolla where you commenced swinging it first to the left, then to the right , then left again, right...several thousand times until it finally did what you are hoping so much that it actually does.....

If you eyeball the Wallmart parking lot on the 1st and 15th you will find cash blowing in the wind..... Your eyes are not paying for themselves when that happens.... its just what happens when you eyeball the Walmart parking lot on the 1st and 15th....
I sincerely and without any malice hope you and my other new friends here eventually understand that concept....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering the last count on my gold recovered is over 8k not counting what wife kept or what i used as barter my detectors have paid for theirselves several times over and that doesn't count the clad coins recovered nor the siver.. or diamonds...

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Considering the last count on my gold recovered is over 8k not counting what wife kept or what i used as barter my detectors have paid for theirselves several times over and that doesn't count the clad coins recovered nor the siver.. or diamonds...

There is a guy on You tube that gets 12 gold rings every single time he goes out. Considering the time that I have put in my results lie somewhere between yours and his..... but once again we have strayed off the subject....

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Juice Diggalow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOOOOLOOOO

discn

Aug 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
my sixth sense and a shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the CTX is over priced, but if you want the best of the best then you pay for it. If you can't afford it then boo hoo you can cry all over my CTX cuz it's waterproof (it can handle all your tears). The other day some guy was following me with his at pro digging up all the junk I left behind. We had lunch together then we hunted together for the rest of the day he was very impressed at the target id/target trace of the CTX and how easy it is to pinpoint a target. This weekend we are going to another site and im gona let him use it for the day so he can try it before buys one.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes the CTX is over priced, but if you want the best of the best then you pay for it. If you can't afford it then boo hoo you can cry all over my CTX cuz it's waterproof (it can handle all your tears). The other day some guy was following me with his at pro digging up all the junk I left behind. We had lunch together then we hunted together for the rest of the day he was very impressed at the target id/target trace of the CTX and how easy it is to pinpoint a target. This weekend we are going to another site and im gona let him use it for the day so he can try it before buys one.

I fear for you a little, but I shed no tears LOL - You paid upwards to $2500 and have spent countless hours being followed by strangers who in spite of using a machine that feels like it costs $30 still clean up in your tracks....... Then for some reason they feel it necessary to have lunch with you, so that they can repeat the process next weekend at which point you are going to hand over a $2500 machine to a complete stranger in a world where people rob liquor stores for $75........
Maybe you are onto something. Perhaps the CTX 3030 best serves as a point machine to highlight the spill patterns for whomever is set up behind you to recover. If you waited until last week to purchase it you could have gotten an extra wider coil for free.
You probably just need to learn how to use it, It actually works very well in experienced hands.

However at $2500 it is very overpriced.....

At least for now you made a friend.....

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Big handed Frank...
Your metal detector has never once paid you a dividend, Nor has it ever paid for itself.

You have paid for it several times over by filling your SUV with $122 worth of unleaded and driving out to La Jolla where you commenced swinging it first to the left, then to the right , then left again, right...several thousand times until it finally did what you are hoping so much that it actually does.....

If you eyeball the Wallmart parking lot on the 1st and 15th you will find cash blowing in the wind..... Your eyes are not paying for themselves when that happens.... its just what happens when you eyeball the Walmart parking lot on the 1st and 15th....
I sincerely and without any malice hope you and my other new friends here eventually understand that concept....

----------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
Well let's see, where to start.
First off, it's not an SUV, it's a MH and it's diesel powered. Let's see, it holds 40 gal so your estimate is way low.
I live in Maryland so the target area would most likely be in MD, PA, or DE although I have gone as far as Washington state or down near the Salton sea near Niland.

Now to your point. I look at my metal detectors as an investments, so what I find is actually a dividen or return on that investment. I know where to look so it pays dividends. On one, 4 hour hunt, in an old yard, one of the finds covered the total cost of all my detectors. Frank...
ruby gold ring 700.jpg You might say, big ring for big hand!

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
----------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
Well let's see, where to start.
First off, it's not an SUV, it's a MH and it's diesel powered. Let's see, it holds 40 gal so your estimate is way low.
I live in Maryland so the target area would most likely be in MD, PA, or DE although I have gone as far as Washington state or down near the Salton sea near Niland.

Now to your point. I look at my metal detectors as an investments, so what I find is actually a dividen or return on that investment. I know where to look so it pays dividends. On one, 4 hour hunt, in an old yard, one of the finds covered the total cost of all my detectors. Frank...
View attachment 987319 You might say, big ring for big hand!

if you know where to look you don't need metal detectors at all, .....just shovels.
I don't have an issue with the price quality and effectiveness of most shovels.

At thousands of dollars per unit, The most popular detectors are hugely overpriced considering what goes into them and what the end users are getting in return.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
if you know where to look you don't need metal detectors at all, .....just shovels.
I don't have an issue with the price quality and effectiveness of most shovels.

At thousands of dollars per unit, The most popular detectors are hugely overpriced considering what goes into them and what the end users are getting in return.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me reword it so you get the picture. If you know there is a cache of gold coins buried on my farm (5ac), and you don't bring a detector because you know the location, You would wear out that shovel before you found it.
This makes as much sense as your post, both being taken out of context.

You miss the point that you don't have to spend thousands to get the best detector, only the most expensive one. There is a difference you know! Frank...
6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 040-1.jpg There is nothing like Mother Nature.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me reword it so you get the picture. If you know there is a cache of gold coins buried on my farm (5ac), and you don't bring a detector because you know the location, You would wear out that shovel before you found it.
This makes as much sense as your post, both being taken out of context.

You miss the point that you don't have to spend thousands to get the best detector, only the most expensive one. There is a difference you know! Frank...
View attachment 987457 There is nothing like Mother Nature.

Frank picture looks like Bryce in Utah. .

discn

Aug 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
my sixth sense and a shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fear for you a little, but I shed no tears LOL - You paid upwards to $2500 and have spent countless hours being followed by strangers who in spite of using a machine that feels like it costs $30 still clean up in your tracks....... Then for some reason they feel it necessary to have lunch with you, so that they can repeat the process next weekend at which point you are going to hand over a $2500 machine to a complete stranger in a world where people rob liquor stores for $75........
Maybe you are onto something. Perhaps the CTX 3030 best serves as a point machine to highlight the spill patterns for whomever is set up behind you to recover. If you waited until last week to purchase it you could have gotten an extra wider coil for free.
You probably just need to learn how to use it, It actually works very well in experienced hands.

At least for now you made a friend.....

LOL yes the free coil would help but since I already have the other two no worries.I would never hand over my machine to someone I did not trust. It may have a bit of a learning curve but within 10 hrs of using the machine you should have a better understanding on how to operate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread