So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And again it is a specialized market unlike computers.....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the grade of the chip board...1oz. to 4oz. per ton...I would think theres a lot more in the electronics in a metal detector than in the plastic that they make then with today...

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe its already been said Greed and r&d and those teks that think them up get a huge payroll every week for their services. I've been detecting 45 yrs and it seems a 169$-320$ detector head is a little out of reason. jmho rwd mo
Can you imagine what our detectors could do if the technology in them was not 20 years old?
On a new $2500 machine just a few dollars more could upgrade to an 8 year old processor instead of the 15 year old technology that is in them now.

God forbid that up to date technology and quality material is used in actual production.

From the business perspective, 15 year old technology is just fine. Just redesign the cheap plastic case, add a GPS, a color screen (kinda cool huh? It doesn't matter that you can't see it in the light) and leave everything else alone. $2500.00
Can you imagine what these things could do if they respected you as informed consumers?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can you imagine what our detectors could do if the technology in them was not 20 years old?
On a new $2500 machine just a few dollars more could upgrade to an 8 year old processor instead of the 15 year old technology that is in them now.

God forbid that up to date technology and quality material is used in actual production.

From the business perspective, 15 year old technology is just fine. Just redesign the cheap plastic case, add a GPS, a color screen (kinda cool huh? It doesn't matter that you can't see it in the light) and leave everything else alone. $2500.00
Can you imagine what these things could do if they respected you as informed consumers?

Can't see in the light? My xterra 705 has a backlit screen...

sent from a potato...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You do realize the 3030 already has full color display, GPS, wireless module and 9 different languages to choose from....

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we're being baited Treasure Hunter!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
You just now realized that Fletch ?
BTW years ago Garrett made a detector that had a color screen...hell it even had treasure talk..you found a quarter...in reality in was a washer..lol
If it makes you feel better el padron, tomorrow morning I'm picking up a sovereign GT, with 2 coils and 2 extra battery packs for, 400 bucks, and it looks like its never been used.

Mike

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You just now realized that Fletch ?
BTW years ago Garrett made a detector that had a color screen...hell it even had treasure talk..you found a quarter...in reality in was a washer..lol
If it makes you feel better el padron, tomorrow morning I'm picking up a sovereign GT, with 2 coils and 2 extra battery packs for, 400 bucks, and it looks like its never been used.

Mike

Wow! That's a deal!

sent from a potato...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just now realized that Fletch ? BTW years ago Garrett made a detector that had a color screen...hell it even had treasure talk..you found a quarter...in reality in was a washer..lol If it makes you feel better el padron, tomorrow morning I'm picking up a sovereign GT, with 2 coils and 2 extra battery packs for, 400 bucks, and it looks like its never been used. Mike
No I've been knowing everyone's picking at us the whole time or really ignorant one.

I just picked a used GT for $675 used only 3 times myself. I'm stockpiling them apparently since it's my favorite detector.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's what everybody says, I just can't get used to having a display, so I'm gonna dump the explorer I have.
Anybody know how much the Sunray probe on it is worth ? Heard they went up in value since its no longer made.

Mike

they are completely worthless, I'll send you my address and even pay the shipping just so you can get rid of it. :laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
675 damn, so I AM getting a good deal! Mike

Maybe if it's not all rode hard and put up wet. Pardon the pun.

What extra coils does it have? The 13" Ultimate is the best balance on the GT. It is lighter than stock 10" Tornado. I also have a Coiltek 5x10 that's great in thick grass and wooded area.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Sov GT wit a WOT coil and the SEF 15x18" coil. . It is a great detector Mike and you got it for a great price...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what the second coil is, am really wondering why selling it so cheap, it looks new, but it could have been dunked, and be faulty, I have no clue how to tell if its working right or not.

Mike

Just throw some pull tabs, coins, iron, silver and gold on the ground and check .....

It should null on the iron. Stick iron nail through gold ring it should null, resweep from a different direction it should give you a gold tone...

Always check nulls by re sweeping by changing direction 90 degrees.

Example.....If sweeping N to S and you get null resweep E-W....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've never used one you're in for the best audio ever put in a machine. And about the best machine at knocking junk iron and foil out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread