So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Last I looked no one is forced to buy...Don't like the price manufacturers charge for THEIR products your free to use something else, maybe a forked stick....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

So we've established several things here... That the MD industry more or less as a whole is purposely light years behind in incorporating present technology into its latest products. (GPS is not break through modern technology) They are completely aware of how relatively overpriced and inadequate their products are, as evidenced by their ridiculous style of advertising. (Find riches beyond your wildest dreams with the "new " fallic 14 gold extractor.....). They taylor their marketing and advertising to glorify their products through fluff, while actually revealing very little about their actual components.

The products that are released are generally made of the absolutely cheapest materials possible and sold to a gullible ever increasing and changing consumer pool that are buying more into a dream then a particular product.

Amazingly enough, there are several here that are completely content in spending thousands of dollars for a cheaply made tool that should cost a few hundred dollars at most. The best that they can do though to defend the unbelievably shrewd and greedy manufacturers is to basically argue "supply and demand , take it or leave it"

Oh, and we have also established that BC1969 (Mike) has never had a girlfriend.......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we've established several things here... That the MD industry more or less as a whole is purposely light years behind in incorporating present technology into its latest products. (GPS is not break through modern technology) They are completely aware of how relatively overpriced and inadequate their products are, as evidenced by their ridiculous style of advertising. (Find riches beyond your wildest dreams with the "new " fallic 14 gold extractor.....). They taylor their marketing and advertising to glorify their products through fluff, while actually revealing very little about their actual components.

The products that are released are generally made of the absolutely cheapest materials possible and sold to a gullible ever increasing and changing consumer pool that are buying more into a dream then a particular product.

Amazingly enough, there are several here that are completely content in spending thousands of dollars for a cheaply made tool that should cost a few hundred dollars at most. The best that they can do though to defend the unbelievably shrewd and greedy manufacturers is to basically argue "supply and demand , take it or leave it"

Oh, and we have also established that BC1969 (Mike) has never had a girlfriend.......

And I repeat, don't buy one.....

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thread, but show me anything that isn't being made cheaper and costing more these days? In fact, been sliding this way for a long, long time. About any consumer product that's being made of higher quality with higher standards are those consumer products that only the top 10% can afford. I think the real answer to "why do people pay for highly over priced products" simply comes down to, "because they want it and they can." No real manufacturer improvements in detectors in recent years and yet they still sell at even higher prices. People buy them because they want them and they can. No big mystery here.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting thread, but show me anything that isn't being made cheaper and costing more these days? In fact, been sliding this way for a long, long time. About any consumer product that's being made of higher quality with higher standards are those consumer products that only the top 10% can afford. I think the real answer to "why do people pay for highly over priced products" simply comes down to, "because they want it and they can." No real manufacturer improvements in detectors in recent years and yet they still sell at even higher prices. People buy them because they want them and they can. No big mystery here.

Very true, but the cost of these products are typically completely out of all proportion when taking into consideration their components and what they are comprised of.
I think the mystery lies in the lack of discontent on the part of the very substantial community that as you point out seem to happily overpay for their metal detectors.
It's actually amazing, they don't seem to care than an E Trac costs $1500 but is not even water resistant. This machine is touted as "state-of-the-art and superior to absolutely all others," yet you can't get it wet while using it at a beach?

The manufacturers are conditioned to hype their overrated products even if it means crossing the line of obvious reason.

It illustrates the almost impossibly fortunate position the manufacturers are in right now.

It appears that in spite of the many very intelligent people who participate, the act of participating in "the absolute highest level" ( in this case that means just blindly trust the manufacturers marketing claims and pay whatever the price is) is what matters the most

Thanks for your comment by the way.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man some of you guys sure are getting defensive lol..hey my explorer has a carbon fiber shaft!! Though its still to heavy, but that's OK. Mike
Wasn't talking about just the lower shaft, but rather upper shaft too. No ones defensive, just staying several obvious innovations that for some reason many don't see as improvements. There are more innovations in this one machine than all next 2-3 brands combined.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......or it could be the "intelligent people" as you call them just don't agree with you...

I own Etrac, Excal and Sov GT, I have used all 3 at salt water beaches and they all work fantastic on salt beaches, if I want to wade in the water waist deep I take an excal, designed to be under water......

Just like if I want dive 20 feet and take pictures I take a water proof camera, I don't complain because my $600 Note3 isn't water proof so I can't dive with it...

If I want to scuba dive to 50 ft I wear a water proof watch not a water resistant watch.

If I spend $28,000 on a car why can't I take it 4 wheeling, could it be because it wasn't designed to go off road. Maybe if i want to go 4 wheeling I should but a vehicle designed for it...

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......or could, be the intelligent people just don't agree with you... I own Etrac, Excal and Sov GT, I have used all 3 at salt water beaches and they al work fantastic on salt beaches, if I want to wade in the water waist deep I take an excal designed to be under water...... Just like if I want dive 20 feet and take pictures I rake a water proof camera, I don't complain because my $600 Note3 isn't water proof so I can't dive with it... American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
I agree with being able to have multiple machines and do the same thing. Well almost the same thing.
Let's just all agree to use what we like and fits the hunting situation. I'm tired trying to explain what I feel are improvements to people who do not want to hear it, yet have never touched the machine in question, much less seen the advantages of previously mentioned improvements.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look, my only point was that people will continue to buy what they want because they can. As far as manufacture improvements, that all comes down to what are seen as improvements, as they apply to the users. I can tell you this, take the CTX....."no more faints" which for many is certainly an improvement. There is also the added "visual target separation" which to many is certainly an improvement. And I could mention a few other features as well that many would see as improvements, and for them they are. They way I see the thing is this, if these things lead a user to more gold then great! To these users these are improvements and they will buy them because they want them and they can. Nothing wrong with that at all. I've said it once and I'll say it again, "If a user has a great deal of confidence in the machine in his hand then he is using the right machine." :thumbsup: That's what really matters.

PS: My idea of manufacturer improvement would be something along the lines of VLF machines with noticeably greater power output so I truly could hunt deeper. I would also like to see them incorporate a no motion feature into these more powerful VLF machines, which I believe they could do. These two features alone would open up a whole new world of advancements in metal detecting improvements. But that's just me, the type of things I would see as true improvements. And also this......if it's rated for submersible at XX feet make it leak proof at XXXX feet. In other words, quit making things just on the edge of performance. Make them to exceed it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wasn't talking about just the lower shaft, but rather upper shaft too. No ones defensive, just staying several obvious innovations that for some reason many don't see as improvements. There are more innovations in this one machine than all next 2-3 brands combined.

I'm amazed, I've never seen the shaft made out of anything other then plastic and crudely fashioned tube metal.
Good for them, it's a step in the right direction

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Look, my only point was that people will continue to buy what they want because they can. As far as manufacture improvements, that all comes down to what are seen as improvements, as they apply to the users. I can tell you this, take the CTX....."no more faints" which for many is certainly an improvement. There is also the added "visual target separation" which to many is certainly an improvement. And I could mention a few other features as well that many would see as improvements, and for them they are. They way I see the thing is this, if these things lead a user to more gold then great! To these users these are improvements and they will buy them because they want them and they can. Nothing wrong with that at all. I've said it once and I'll say it again, "If a user has a great deal of confidence in the machine in his hand then he is using the right machine." :thumbsup: That's what really matters.

PS: My idea of manufacturer improvement would be something along the lines of VLF machines with noticeably greater power output so I truly could hunt deeper. I would also like to see them incorporate a no motion feature into these more powerful VLF machines, which I believe they could do. These two features alone would open up a whole new world of advancements in metal detecting improvements. But that's just me, the type of things I would see as true improvements. And also this......if it's rated for submersible at XX feet make it leak proof at XXXX feet. In other words, quit making things just on the edge of performance. Make them to exceed it.

You've put your time in and have noticed first hand, the advantages , strongpoints and shortcomings of some of the equipment you've been using....
I have no doubt the 3030 is a good machine. 2500 good? Not from how its built and what goes into it...... OK, I'll admit. I don't know what goes into it..... They won't tell me, and I'm not an engineer. But I'm assuming it has a processor that is imbedded onto a board surrounded by some capacitors, transistors, resisters etc.... the same stuff that goes into an $18 cell phone.
You see thats my whole point, I don't mind filling a storage room with whatever individualized equipment I might want or need. I just don't want what I do have to be crudely made and cheap.... Thats all

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way el padron, thank you for your serving.

Mike
Always appreciated, and yes... I gotta fix that. thx again..

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, didn't realize till a few minutes ago its padron...first glance my old eyes saw padre.

Hey back on topic, does minelab make a retro fit for my
IMG_20140427_231415.jpg

Would love to have the upper shaft in carbon fiber!!

Mike

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other side of this debate might be this...."there are so many hidden cost in manufacturing/retail these days it boggles the mind." When we look at a machine or any item we, as consumers, don't see all of the other cost associated with the design, assembly, inventory, etc., etc., etc., of that item. And let's face it, companies have to make a profit to survive. The cost of doing anything these days has skyrocketed, so these cost also have to be factored into the bottom line.

As for the end user who purchases the item, say a detector, what is the real value of confidence? I've been on the beach many times with machines in my hand that I didn't trust, machines that I was always second guessing, etc., and I gotta tell you that it sucks! Nearly impossible to put in a good hunt/effort when you have no confidence in the tools you're using. I have complete confidence in the machine I use and I'd gladly pay extra $$$ to buy that confidence and comfort back if lost.

Golf, fishing, metal detecting, whatever the "hobby" is people will always be trading in the old and used for the new and improved. I use to golf a lot, started with a low priced set of clubs, finished with a high priced set of clubs, still shot the same general scores. And fishing....I don't even want to get into that money pit, especially when you toss in boats. So now we have to toss in "personal enjoyment".....what is the value and price?

So I guess what I'm saying is this.....I do my own thing, others do theirs, things cost what they do for many reasons. Somewhere in the middle of all of this I just want to find some personal peace and happiness and confidence. and if, on occasion, I have to pay extra $$$ for it then I'm fine with that. I assume a lot of people people feel this same way. :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions