Spelling and bad Garmmar

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to get some opinions on the subject of spelling and bad grammar...I have seen post on here with missed spelled words or missed used words...I have done it myself more than a few times..and I have been called out on here for it and seen other people that have to....I know people are not perfect and things like that happen all the time..but to point it out on here!! for what!! I am not sure about that...everybody that reads these post knows what people are saying or mint to say, and I see no reason to be little them for that, or make comments about it...I wish I was perfect...but sadly I am not and no body that I know is..I joined this forum because I like metal detecting and I like seeing what other people have to say about there machines....not to be made fun of or not want to post something because a word is miss spelled or miss used.....or maybe its because I am an 70 year cranky old man.......any thoughts on this ???

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to get some opinions on the subject of spelling and bad grammar...I have seen post on here with missed spelled words or missed used words...I have done it myself more than a few times..and I have been called out on here for it and seen other people that have to....I know people are not perfect and things like that happen all the time..but to point it out on here!! for what!! I am not sure about that...everybody that reads these post knows what people are saying or mint to say, and I see no reason to be little them for that, or make comments about it...I wish I was perfect...but sadly I am not and no body that I know is..I joined this forum because I like metal detecting and I like seeing what other people have to say about there machines....not to be made fun of or not want to post something because a word is miss spelled or miss used.....or maybe its because I am an 70 year cranky old man.......any thoughts on this ???

I agree with you, but I have found that the grammar police camp out in every forum. Just ignore them. This isn't some genius English teacher's forum, just a forum for average people enjoying themselves.

(hope I didn't spell anything wrong)

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree - not everyone types perfectly either, but if you get the intent of the thread, that's what counts.
luvsdux

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I height it when poeple can't not spel wright! :BangHead:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of My very Serious Pet Peeves here.
It is also against the Rules to Judge or insult anyone for Misspellings.

It is also not always the Posters fault.

When I catch someone Insulting a member over Spelling and bad Grammar,
Posts get Deleted, & If the person complains, They get deleted for awhile .

There are many reasons for Misspellings & Grammar issues from not having english as their first language,
To the Server, to education, To speed Typing,
to sense of humor, Etc. & it's realy nobodies Business
which

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I totally agree guy.... 99% of us are NOT English majors and farther more most of us DON'T GIVE A DAMN if we misspell a word or use another word to get out thoughts out. I would NEVER belittle somebody on a misspelled word or use of a word if I got there meaning. I'm guilty myself at times.

NOW.... with that said. I HATE the way the younger generation use the English language with everything having to be shortened. Just SAY WHAT YOU MEAN in plain English. Lay it out... the filter here will correct you upon their set limits. Taking a 5 letter word and making it a 3 letter one ends the comment for me.... immediately. YES I AGREE with YOU!!!!!

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
When people call you out on your spelling and grammar, it's a mental disorder on their part.

The internet also allows people to hide without a face-to-face contact with the person that they belittle...
which may prevent them from a butt wooping!:laughing7:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
any thoughts on this

Why yes, thanks for asking. Here are my thoughts.

Some people are particular about what is written. It's becoming a lost art.

With spell check and auto correct, people don't take the time to check their prose before pushing send.

This is not earth shattering, by no means, but this is sometimes the first impression people have of the poster. They are judged (admittedly or not) by the way one communicates. It is often, the only way to gauge someone's intellectual level, thereby assessing the value of the content.

As humans, we do it all the time, each and every day. It's usually done visually first. On here, it's done by reading what ones written, and how it was written. It is, after all, the only medium of communication we have with each other on this forum.

Will you take someones text as drunken rambling, or a well thought out comment, by the way it was written? How much weight to you assign to the comment, based on how it's written? Will it influence your perception of the person?

Of course, you will unconsciously do all of the above.

With that said, everyone should make exceptions as this is an informal and relaxed atmosphere. (supposed to be anyway)

-OR-

lol lol lol ure just makin fun of people cuz the way we spake. lol lol lol

ROFLMAO! :laughing7:

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

With spell check and auto correct, people don't take the time to check their prose before pushing send.

This is not earth shattering, by any means, but this is sometimes the first impression people have of the poster. They are judged (admittedly or not) by the way one communicates. It is often, the only way to gauge someone's intellectual level, thereby assessing the value of the content.

As humans, we do it all the time, each and every day. It's usually done visually first. On here, it's done by reading what ones written, and how it was written. It is, after all, the only medium of communication we have with each other on this forum.

Will you take someones text as drunken rambling, or a well thought out comment, by the way it was written? How much weight to you assign to the comment, based on how it's written? Will it influence your perception of the person?

With that said, everyone should make exceptions as this is an informal and relaxed atmosphere. (supposed to be anyway)

-OR-

Fixed it fer ya...................................kidding of course.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree guy.... 99% of us are NOT English majors and farther more most of us DON'T GIVE A DAMN if we misspell a word or use another word to get out thoughts out. I would NEVER belittle somebody on a misspelled word or use of a word if I got there meaning. I'm guilty myself at times.

NOW.... with that said. I HATE the way the younger generation use the English language with everything having to be shortened. Just SAY WHAT YOU MEAN in plain English. Lay it out... the filter here will correct you upon their set limits. Taking a 5 letter word and making it a 3 letter one ends the comment for me.... immediately. YES I AGREE with YOU!!!!!

Yes The latest Teen Languages Bug me too :thumbsup:
But then I think, I wonder how many hated the words "Cool" & "Far Out" :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is not earth shattering, by no means, but this is sometimes the first impression people have of the poster. They are judged (admittedly or not) by the way one communicates. It is often, the only way to gauge someone's intellectual level, thereby assessing the value of the content.

-OR-

I Make more Spelling mistakes when I'm passionate (Serious) about something I'm Typing Then
when I'm laid Back and just joking around.

I Usually end up going back in after & correcting some of it.

I type hunt & Peck with one finger Fast.
When I went to school Typing was just for girls & probably even then, an elective

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I am with you there just to many perfect people……….but i am not one ….. And a while back some one ……criticized me ….. for using these dots so much they did not like it and i guess they …. thought i was pretty dumb you know not smart …LOL … But ..Treasure_Hunter …let them know they could not do that here……..on Tnet

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Fixed it fer ya...................................kidding of course.

Thanks!

Just another Guy In Back- making the occasional mistake.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I type hunt & Peck with one finger Fast.
When I went to school Typing was just for girls & probably even then, an elective

Side story-

I was the first boy in my High School (10th grade) to sign up for typing class.

I was ridiculed by the morons, envied by the rest.

When the smarter ones figured out that I was with all the girls, for all that time- the thought of typing wasn't such a bad idea.

My High School dance card was full.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Keppy I saw that....what the heck some of us went to school for the sports not everybody was a book worm....I wished I had been thou...:) ..might have got me more in life than a metal detector....but I enjoy it...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy who couldn't construct a legible sentence or paragraph until he was about thirty-six years old. All through school he had been a star athlete, this providing him one of those golden conduct passes and a string of passing grades that he didn't earn or deserve. This guy was quite popular, personable, and outgoing. When he graduated from High School he was immediately handed a $25 per-hour job with an attached retirement plan. He eventually got married and started to raise a family of his own, but this pressure eventually being too much and the married life growing too complicated and too routine for him. Soon he was partying all night and living the good life with people he's just met, all of this eventually leading to a divorce after ten-years of marriage.

For the next ten-years he traveled and lived a life of adventure until he met his second wife and now at age thirty he was married again, this time forever devoted to that institution after learning some very hard life-lessons during the prior ten-years. In his own mind everything was good, life was good, his second marriage was good. Five years later his second wife ended up doing the same thing to him that he had done to his first. And this is when his hidden inability to spell or write or construct a sentence finally raised it's ugly head.

You see, for weeks this poor guy attempted to write his second wife letters of love and devotion in an effort to save his marriage. Problem was, his second wife was showing those complete train wrecks to all of her friends, and his friends, etc. Suddenly the secret was out and it was only due to his second wife's brother that the he ever learned of this most embarrassing betrayal. Needless to say this guy became something of a recluse after that second divorce, the embarrassment suffered creating a line of scars that ran way too deep. Eventually he took a new job in a new city to escape the whole ordeal but he never forgot what had lead to his embarrassing exposure and he vowed it would never happen again.

John Gresham became his teacher. You see, this guy had always liked John Gresham stories, at least in movie form, so as soon as he was settled into his new residence he went to the local bookstore and he purchased a John Gresham novel, this then becoming his personal guide on how to use grammar, use punctuation, and form proper paragraphs. His new computer's spell-check and two new dictionaries became his personal spelling tutors. Night after night, day after day, this guy sat at his computer writing about every subject under the sun, this he continued to do until he reached a point where he could write a thirty or forty page short story without the spell-check and grammar-check routinely interrupting his concentration.

About five years later this guy sold his first article to a very popular magazine, he still has copies of the issue this first article appeared in stored in a personal place. In fact, there are several other articles and issues of other magazines in this location. Over the years he has even published books and he is still writing both books and articles today. This guy in his late fifties now, some twenty-years since he purchased that John Gresham novel and those two dictionaries.

Over the years people have asked this guy if still has any ill-feelings towards his second wife and his answer is often rather surprising to many. “Why would I,” he responds with a slight smile? “Had I known how to express my true emotions in those personal letters then things might have turned out differently.” This guy has never remarried and he has only dated a few times since that second divorce. One can only wonder what he might say in those same letters today if given the chance to write them again? The power of the pen can reshape lives and entire worlds. And believe it or not, this guy is the last guy in the world to be critical of another's writing and spelling skills, and with good reason.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop...your just showing off now....with all the proper spelling and stuff....lol...

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy who couldn't construct a legible sentence or paragraph until he was about thirty-six years old. All through school he had been a star athlete, this providing him one of those golden conduct passes and a string of passing grades that he didn't earn or deserve. This guy was quite popular, personable, and outgoing. When he graduated from High School he was immediately handed a $25 per-hour job with an attached retirement plan. He eventually got married and started to raise a family of his own, but this pressure eventually being too much and the married life growing too complicated and too routine for him. Soon he was partying all night and living the good life with people he's just met, all of this eventually leading to a divorce after ten-years of marriage.

For the next ten-years he traveled and lived a life of adventure until he met his second wife and now at age thirty he was married again, this time forever devoted to that institution after learning some very hard life-lessons during the prior ten-years. In his own mind everything was good, life was good, his second marriage was good. Five years later his second wife ended up doing the same thing to him that he had done to his first. And this is when his hidden inability to spell or write or construct a sentence finally raised it's ugly head.

You see, for weeks this poor guy attempted to write his second wife letters of love and devotion in an effort to save his marriage. Problem was, his second wife was showing those complete train wrecks to all of her friends, and his friends, etc. Suddenly the secret was out and it was only due to his second wife's brother that the he ever learned of this most embarrassing betrayal. Needless to say this guy became something of a recluse after that second divorce, the embarrassment suffered creating a line of scars that ran way too deep. Eventually he took a new job in a new city to escape the whole ordeal but he never forgot what had lead to his embarrassing exposure and he vowed it would never happen again.

John Gresham became his teacher. You see, this guy had always liked John Gresham stories, at least in movie form, so as soon as he was settled into his new residence he went to the local bookstore and he purchased a John Gresham novel, this then becoming his personal guide on how to use grammar, use punctuation, and form proper paragraphs. His new computer's spell-check and two new dictionaries became his personal spelling tutors. Night after night, day after day, this guy sat at his computer writing about every subject under the sun, this he continued to do until he reached a point where he could write a thirty or forty page short story without the spell-check and grammar-check routinely interrupting his concentration.

About five years later this guy sold his first article to a very popular magazine, he still has copies of the issue this first article appeared in stored in a personal place. In fact, there are several other articles and issues of other magazines in this location. Over the years he has even published books and he is still writing both books and articles today. This guy in his late fifties now, some twenty-years since he purchased that John Gresham novel and those two dictionaries.

Over the years people have asked this guy if still has any ill-feelings towards his second wife and his answer is often rather surprising to many. “Why would I,” he responds with a slight smile? “Had I known how to express my true emotions in those personal letters then things might have turned out differently.” This guy has never remarried and he has only dated a few times since that second divorce. One can only wonder what he might say in those same letters today if given the chance to write them again? The power of the pen can reshape lives and entire worlds. And believe it or not, this guy is the last guy in the world to be critical of another's writing and spelling skills, and with good reason.:thumbsup:

That's a heck of a story bigscoop, very inspirational. I read a lot as a teenager and I have to say it really made a big difference in my life.

Good on you for having the courage to improve your communication skills. Not an easy task when you're in your thirties. You must be a pretty intelligent guy.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any one considering jumping some ones spelling should remember English is not the first language of a lot of our members and things get mixed up when typing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread