Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont cha jst luv spel ck?

(Don't you just love spell check?) Grammar and spelling are a pet peeve of mine, too. However, a lot of computers do the automatic spell check and lots of times they get it wrong! Just think we paid hundreds (thousands?) for the privilege of having the computer check for us! My favorite peeve is when people *must* add an apostrophe just because of word ends in "s". If you have the saying "He**'s Bells" only the first word has the apostrophe, not both. Some folks would put an apostrophe before the s in bells, too.

I've said my piece...peace...peice...whatever! LOL

only thing I see wrong is Hell is a Fantasy place It doesn't need ***'s
Hell's Bells is not a swear that I'm aware of

of course using it when your mad at someone And telling them to go to Hell,
especially here would/could get your post scrutinized & worse & he** wouldn't change that . but anyway
I don't think Bell's would look right to me in that situation.

Oh & I hate Spell check, especially when it chooses for me

red Lines under a Misspelled word is OK,
But adjusting the word for me is not imo

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not's sure's what's you's talking's about's....

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is never me. Autocorrect on an Ipad is the devil's spawn.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
In another 10 years I would imagine we will all speak & write "textese." I find my self having to back up & re-type in "proper English." But my Great Gramma "wudda cut the cake, I mean ta tell ya!" From S.C. to KY. to SE. MO. & I'm proud to have even a lil' bit of her grammer. So put the kettle on, or break out the jug, grab a chair & let's have us a toast to our ancestral grammatical learnin!

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am down with anybody from the show me state...

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born there and I have a lot of family still back there around Springfield..but I have not been back there in 30 years or so...

FFARL

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself am a grammar purist, and don't mind being corrected if I screw up. I'd just prefer it be done in private.

Working in forums all day, however, I've learned to let it go when it comes to other folks. One exception is that I have some vendors on other sites who's first language isn't English, and I make it a point to help them out, as I think they'd want to represent their business in the best way.

If you really get your nickers in a twist about it these days, you're in for an uphill battle.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
But.. on the other hand...

I know many people who use English and Grammar very well

and don't have a clue what they're talking about!:laughing7:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, grammar and spelling is a big thing with me. I hate it when I happen to read something that I posted and see misspelled words or am not quite sure of what I posted will be taken as I meant it to be. I'm not a great speller or great at grammar.

Yes, I see other posts that to me are horrible with grammatical and spelling errors. It is not my place to say anything. If I can't decide what is being said, I'll ask for an explanation; but without comment about the wording or spelling. We all make mistakes, period. If I went back and read all of my posts, I'm sure I would find a lot of errors. And, yes, I would feel like kicking myself about; but wouldn't! As a man told me several times: If God didn't make it, it's gonna have problems. He was a radio technician who worked on the 2-way radios in some of the trucks that I used to drive.

As for conversation? I'm worse. I say things and then realize that what I said would be not easily understood because of the wording. Also, I occasionally fail to pronunciate my words properly. I have dentures and sometimes a 'glitch' occurs when I say certain words. (A note: When I type ;pronunciate' it shows to be misspelled. I even went to the online dictionary to check. I don't remember ever seeing the spell-checker wrong; but remember seeing someone earlier on this thread mention that it was sometime wrong.) Back to the pronunciation problem. (Ah ha, 'pronunciation' seems ok with spell-checker!) Anyway, I went to a Winger's Grill/Bar (?) a few weeks ago. I mentioned it to my son-in-law and he asked me to repeat where I had been. Again I said, "Wingers." He said, "Weiners? I spelled it for him. He said that the 'g' didn't sound when I said 'Wingers'. I said it several times to myself and found out that he was right. I have to put forth extra emphasis on the 'g' when I say 'Wing-ers'. If I don't it comes out 'Winers', without the 'g'. I'm trying to get into the habit of pronouncing it as 'Win-gers' with emphasis on the 'grrs'. If someone corrects me, they are most welcome to do so; but only if it's not meant to be a 'put-down'. lol

Last edited:

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doint now wat yu ar talkin abuot. Dis thraed is veri stoopid. Ar yu a gramoor cop?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Paragraphs..whats a paragraph..:)

It's two graphs, as opposed to one graph. i.e. a paragraph

Sheesh- gotta explain the simplest of things to some people...

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 3.23.12 PM.png

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So just today, again she tried to correct me. If I say something like " I was at the mall and seen a dress I liked" she stops me dead in my tracks and goes "Ah" what's that? I saw. So I told her today to just leave me alone on my talking, I am 57 1/2 years old and she can get off my case now. She just made a ugly face. So lets see if it sank in??? I doubt it.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was another who took typing in high school. My mother, an english teacher, and my father, a science teacher, thought it would be good for me. It was pretty neat. No chewing gum or crossing your feet in class as this was a no no. The fun ran out when the teacher had to climb out a window onto the roof to get erasers and chalk, at the end of class, and somehow the window got locked. ( I know nothing, heehee ) I think it's pretty sad that somebody would pick on somebody because of the way they talk or spell. We are all humans, and we will all go to one place or the other no matter who we are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread