Why even ask permission ???????????????????

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask permission, around here you probably won't get shot at, but the PD will tresspass you who needs a record even if it's a misdemeanor. You might want to think ahead a little! If it's been vandalized burglarized recently you could be sitting on the curb for several hours trying to explain.

On the other hand if you always ask you may end up getting more than you could dig. I asked a lady if I could search her back lot. She appeared to be really grouchy at first but let me search. About an hour later she came out and asked me if I did any shooting. Ended up going home with a huge pile of ammo, 3/4s of it collectible stuff, and tons to shoot. Seems her husband passed away, and she couldn't figure out what to do with it. In my book it was a great find! A new friend and a ton of ammo!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the answer because its the "right thing to do" since its not YOUR land,and if it was your land --- I would bet you would want folks to at least have enough "respect" to ask for your premission BEFORE they went "snooping" on YOUR property , taking stuff off / out of your land ,that YOU paid the taxes on., and opening you up to a lawsuit in cause they got hurt while they were there.----unless of course you just want all the local MD'ers in the area "branded" as tresspassers (only takes one bad apple type) then maybe it will get "banned" in your city by a bunch of P.O.ed local landowners that found you on their land with out premission.----bottom line don't cause problems just ask---Ivan

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is lame this is getting more attention than my need to know if the MXT is good for silver coins.... We all know whats right, so just do whats right. Tell me more about the MXT??

Keep @ it and HH!!

shellback

Sep 19, 2006
Doing it and knowing all along you are in the wrong is just like breaking a law, however some may not know they are tresspassing and or breaking anylaws out of stupidity or what have you and though's are the ones i can give a break but how do you know who is being honest or not? you really cant so all are considered quilty as charged and off with there heads.

OP
OP
L

la9

Mar 25, 2007
You guys convinced me everyone is gun happy so I'm going to start carrying a gun everywhere I go.

You never know when I might trip and fall walking down the sidewalk, land in someone's yard and be shot at because "Trespassing is Tresspassing and there are no grey areas"

Besides all the land in this country is owned by the government, if you don't believe me don't pay your taxes and see who ends up with it.............................

OP
OP
L

la9

Mar 25, 2007
I think I might start a thread "If you have permission why fill in your holes ????"

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Because the hole fairy won't make your teeth fall out and then that other fairy will totally ignore you.

la9 said:
Besides all the land in this country is owned by the government, if you don't believe me don't pay your taxes and see who ends up with it.............................

I do have to agree with you on that tho', but I'm not gonna get all "political".

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
lets see the govt owns the land,and we the people own the govt, and i am part of we,so i own all the land ---sounds twisted nuff to me ---now just ask the tax payer who pays the "access control tax" for said piece of lands permission. since he "pays" for that right.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
la9
People ask for advice when they already know the answer, but don't like it. Either you 1. don't have respect for other people and their property, or 2. started this thread just to get a reaction. I'm going to assume it's the second, given the "Why should I fill in holes" question.

You're fairly new here, and you sound pretty young. I'm not old (32), but I learned a long time ago to respect other people and their property. I would say "Don't take offense to my statements", but I'm guessing that you're too immature to take constructive criticism, and have probably already taken offense to what I, and many others, have to say.

By tresspassing and MDing in places you aren't supposed to be, and not filling holes (lets just head that topic off now), you portray yourself poorly. More importantly, the stigma you then attach to yourself also applies to me, and every other person who enjoys this hobby. If you want to portray yourself like a spoiled thug with an air of entitlement, knock yourself out. But don't be surprised when other people, myself included resent it and the image you portray. And more importantly, don't be surprised if someone calls the police, or when some old farmer rains some birdshot down on your head.

Grow up. I'm sure you already know what to do, even if you don't like it

steve

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
C'mon No one of any age or maturity is that dispespectful. I was once young and dum and got run off from fishing on someone elses bought and paid for property, pretty humbeling experience. I reckon I am lucky I dident get shot!! just chewed out some. If that dont humble you, you dont have a clue about the word Ownership in The USA!!

M

MTdutchpop

I have been 'run off' a couple times hunting or even picnicing. Not MD'ing.Thought I was in OK places, but those experiences were humiliating to myself, though the landowner probably didn't know it.

I think the question was to open a discussion. Its nice to see the ethics come out of so many on the forum.

I don't hunt any private property without permission, but consider city parks, rest areas and public schools OK until told otherwise.(which I haven't been) I always coin pop rather than plug and keep the junk I dig and even find around to demonstrate if necessary I'm good for the place. My holes are much less problem than any aeration they do. When I was principal of a private school, and a detector, I was miffed to see people on 'our land' without asking. Was not bothered by people using it for recreation and not harming anything so maybe I was more bothered by people digging my hunting grounds.

Maybe some of 'you always ask permission crowd' would ask at these same 'public lands places' as well. Do you? (need to?)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MTdutchpop said:
Maybe some of 'you always ask permission crowd' would ask at these same 'public lands places' as well. Do you? (need to?)

It depends.
Schools I ask. Even though from my understanding it isn't
necessary, I feel better about myself for it.

Public lands & parks, around me NO
(you would need to have lived here, and realize
the people around here got better things to
do with their lives then complain about a detectorist
to understand my Decision on this)
But all I need to do when approached is Bring up
"sweet Arrow Lake" & rings.
I immediately am Recognized as the one who found & returned
dozens back in 2000 & 2001, & had Columns in the Newspaper
announcing found rings Etc. with names & initials.
One young Girl even recognized me from the TV News :P
& she was only about 7 :P

Public lands & Parks out of my area in or near cities Yes.

From what I read in Lost Treasure Mag.
Rule of thumb is, IF there is no Sign or fence
it's open. However, there is always someone
who dosn't detect who will have a problem
with someone doing it. & wants to
save the world from us. especially in high population areas.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Just activate your Romulan Cloaking Device and head right into that place.

Make sure you surround your detector too, so it doesn't get spotted.

You can spend all day and never get caught. As a matter of fact, just go up to anyone you see and flaunt the fact that your detecting. (Remember you are invisible and they can't see you! Boy, won't the joke be on them :D )

Caution: Do not disrobe or let it all hang out under any circumstances...Wait!! Your cloaking device works, GO AHEAD, and do it.

Just my delirious rambling and opinions.

Burt

OP
OP
L

la9

Mar 25, 2007
la9,

Are you asking permission to not get permission? To funny for comment.

Tom

At least somebody gets it. I threw the question out there in an offbeat humor kind of way.

and then..............

I was surprised that everyone thinks it's okay to go killing someone for metal detecting on unposted private property. Nowhere did I say anything about it being posted.

I know this isn't true, I see kids taking shortcuts thru people's yards and no body's laying anywhere. Where is all the shooting at from them trespassing ?

I also don't understand why if everyone is so concerned about private property rights when they continue to let the government take them away, but that is political and we don't have time for that.

Then all the assumptions, no one asked what my opinion really was. They just assume you are already doing it or some kind of criminal.

Others get mad just reading it.

Some want you to grow up because they take life too serious, maybe they feel some parental instinct towards the world, or had to give up on something they used to enjoy because they grew up.

This has just been a real fascinating look into how people think for me more than anything.

Everytime I think the thread will die down it pops up to the top again.

Really I'd like to believe that most everyone in the world is good at heart, and would like to believe any one on here would at least ask "What the heck are you doing " before gunning someone down in cold blood.

Is society really that cold and unfriendly nowadays that we start shooting before asking questions ?

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
la9 said:
Is society really that cold and unfriendly nowadays that we start shooting before asking questions ?

Hello la9,
You made some interesting observations.
Strangely, I think society is not that cold, it's just disconnected. No, most folks won't start shooting, they'll call the police and then complain about the response time.
I think the replies to this post demonstrate the feelings of people that would want to do more than call the police. I'm not sure how to to describe it. Maybe we're the people who still say hello to new neighbors. That do not yak on their cellphone and ignore the grocery cashier.
Whatever. I'm rambling on. This thread has got me thinking as well.

Thanks la9

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
la9, I too read all the warnings and wondered "gee, I guess I haven't met any of these rambo vigalantes either". If anyone deserves to have had a detector confiscated, its me and my friends. We go to parks, schools, and yes (gasp) demolitions sites & vacant lots w/o permission. I have yet to have a detector confiscated. Most of the time any busy-bodies that do appear are friendly, and in fact might ask "found anything good yet? Good luck!" etc... One time I was detecting inside the fence of a gated military facility (Naval Post Graduate School, Monterey, CA). An M.P.s vehicle drove up to me and I thought "rats, I'm about to get booted!". Turns out the guy was interested in buying a detector, and we ended up chatting about models, places to detect, etc... No mention ever made about where I was standing.

The point is that if you are paranoid enough, you can eventually talk yourself into staying within the four walls of your house, lest someone get mad at you.

Here where I live is mostly row crops (lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, etc...). We have sometimes researched where old home sites, stage stops, etc... used to be, under what is now just row crops. We merely wait till fallow plow season, and roam the furroughs looking for crockery shards, to hone down where a site might have been located. These are unfenced unposted fields where you can just pull off of a rural road and walk out. I suppose if I were to research it enough, they may be owned by some mega-national produce firm, whose headquarters are in N.Y. or L.A.? (the age of mom and pop landowner/farmers ended here in the 1960s and most row crops are under coorps now). It can get downright ridiculous. No doubt it can be argued on points of technicality, which I don't dispute, I'm just saying..... at what point does no one really care? Are there any innocuous sites at all, anywhere, that people would agree that you can just go, because no one cares?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread