Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Well damn, I guess i'll join in on this. I've found several of these guys over the years.Most look like this one, and I do have one that appears to have a harp on the back. Anyways, this is the only one that I can actually see somewhat of a date on. It appears to be 1722 or 1729. Hell, all I know is I can def see 172 for sure! View attachment 1074207 View attachment 1074208

It looks to be a King George i half penny. It's not a Wood's Hibernia, for the edge is too wide making it british. It is NOT a 1729 half penny, for that would be King George II, and this coin is King George I. Your coin has to be from 1720-1724, considering they did not mint King George I halfpennies in after 1724, and yours is clearly 1720's. To me, it looks like the date is 1722.

Here is my Wood's Hibernia 1723 King George I Irish Halfpenny. Those are not two coins, it's one coin with it's front and back composed into one photo.
hibernia.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My stuff is rather "new" compared to the other finds on here.

1887 Morgan dollar
1901 V Nickel
1905 Indian Head Cent
1906 Indian Head Cent

All of the above were found during sidewalk tear-outs or after an old house was demolished. Most of the other areas have been picked pretty clean, or so it seems.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1802 Spanish 1/2 realle on the southern banks of the Mississippi River about 4 inches down.
Buddy dug a 1856 Canadian coin an hour later 20 yards away.
With 5 of us hunting, only a wheatie was dug after in a 3 hour hunt.
Ray

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1882 IH
at least I beat Coilypoo

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
My stuff is rather "new" compared to the other finds on here.

1887 Morgan dollar
1901 V Nickel
1905 Indian Head Cent
1906 Indian Head Cent

All of the above were found during sidewalk tear-outs or after an old house was demolished. Most of the other areas have been picked pretty clean, or so it seems.

Wow, a Morgan dollar is on the top of my "Want To Find" list, I hope to be able to cross it off at some point.

Oct 15, 2014
Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
ACE 250
AT Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Meaty hand shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today was a whopper for me!

A little back story, in the last 3 weeks I have knocked 3 coins off my bucket list. in Order, 2 Saturdays ago I found an 1828 Large cent, not in bad shape but not the best ever. last Saturday I found my first Barber (1909) dime and today...I found a 1796 Spanish Reale! Its a 1R with a few other goofy marks on it. I have also found a chines coin with a squire notch in the middle, from my research it appeared to be really old but I need to snap a picture and post so you guys can let me know.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Today was a whopper for me!

A little back story, in the last 3 weeks I have knocked 3 coins off my bucket list. in Order, 2 Saturdays ago I found an 1828 Large cent, not in bad shape but not the best ever. last Saturday I found my first Barber (1909) dime and today...I found a 1796 Spanish Reale! Its a 1R with a few other goofy marks on it. I have also found a chines coin with a squire notch in the middle, from my research it appeared to be really old but I need to snap a picture and post so you guys can let me know.

Congrats on getting all those coins in only 3 weeks! I think that this website might help you identify your Chinese coin down to a specific range of years.coins of china, the Ch'ing Dynasty of titles

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 1896 barber dime
With an mxt
an attach was an 8by14 DD deep scan
hit clear as a bell number and I.con stuck...

liftloop

Pa_Dirtfisher

Sep 28, 2014
Mercer County
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Safari. Whites TRX pin pointer and Deteknix pin pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1864 US 2 cent coin.

Nov 19, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1809 Half Cent (US)

20141019_180634.jpg
20141019_180642.jpg

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately , its only an 1889 IH...Ive found many 1890s coins...but never beat the 1889 mark

Oct 15, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
ACE 250
AT Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Meaty hand shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry it took so long to get the pictures. Oddly enough, when I layed out the Reale and though "ya, know, I have found all of my best coins in the same 1 or 2 acre area and each of them basically applies to this thread. So, I gathered all of the coins I have found in this little honey hole and I was amazed. My last post mentioned "3 bucket list coins" all found in this area and my oldest coin went from 1857 to 1828 to 1796 in 3 weeks. Anyone that detects I think would call it a summer, hang the old detector and look at your coins on the couch all winter looking for the next great spot...I don't think I can do it though.... I digress. So, here is the picture of my finds at my Honey Hole, they make up most of my best finds.

Attachments

• Honey Hole Finds.jpg
    Honey Hole Finds.jpg
    767.4 KB · Views: 104

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry it took so long to get the pictures. Oddly enough, when I layed out the Reale and though "ya, know, I have found all of my best coins in the same 1 or 2 acre area and each of them basically applies to this thread. So, I gathered all of the coins I have found in this little honey hole and I was amazed. My last post mentioned "3 bucket list coins" all found in this area and my oldest coin went from 1857 to 1828 to 1796 in 3 weeks. Anyone that detects I think would call it a summer, hang the old detector and look at your coins on the couch all winter looking for the next great spot...I don't think I can do it though.... I digress. So, here is the picture of my finds at my Honey Hole, they make up most of my best finds.

Your oldest coin might be the chineese cash coin with the hole in it. If you post a clearer pic zoomed in on the front and back I can try to Id it for you. Might date into the early 1700's

Oct 15, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
ACE 250
AT Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Meaty hand shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry it took so long, I have been so busy hunting I haven't pondered over some of these yet! so, here is the Chinese coin, on the reverse it is blank, the outer rim of the coin has a slight reveal that runs the entire coin, maybe a 1/16 of an inch or so. The front side is tough to see here, BUT, when I looked it up through the link, I can definitely see that the east and west symbol are pretty typical for most of the coins. The north and south symbol are the tough ones...and naturally the most worn. The north symbol has a couple close options, the south symbol it totally foreign to anything I have seen on the other coins. The south symbol (my spidey sense is telling me) is the important one? anyways, let me know and I will try to get another pic! Honey Hole Chinese Coin.jpg

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldest coins by denomination.

1 cent 1852 Large Cent
2 cent 1865? Lost this coin, can't find my post about it.
5 cent 1891 V Nickel
10 cent 1928 Mercury Dime. Did find a barber years ago, never held onto it
25 cent 1893 Barber Quarter
50 cent 1943 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
1.00 1923 Peace Dollar

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry it took so long, I have been so busy hunting I haven't pondered over some of these yet! so, here is the Chinese coin, on the reverse it is blank, the outer rim of the coin has a slight reveal that runs the entire coin, maybe a 1/16 of an inch or so. The front side is tough to see here, BUT, when I looked it up through the link, I can definitely see that the east and west symbol are pretty typical for most of the coins. The north and south symbol are the tough ones...and naturally the most worn. The north symbol has a couple close options, the south symbol it totally foreign to anything I have seen on the other coins. The south symbol (my spidey sense is telling me) is the important one? anyways, let me know and I will try to get another pic! View attachment 1078281

Your coin is a Jen Tsung Chinese cash coin minted between 1796 and 1820. The photo of the coin is upside down, so the bottom symbol in the photo is really the top symbol on the coin.
chin-h22472-1.jpg
http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm#chai ching
Really cool old Chinese coin, I still have not found a Cash coin.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions