Would you do this? Find a 1852 gold coin and give it to the land owner?

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Tom_in_CA said:
Hey out-raged: You say:

Why would anyone waste their time digging up all those finds for nothing

Since when is a finding a $5 gold piece "nothing"? I've had the thrill of finding ten gold coins in my years of this, and I would gladly welcome the opportunity to find another one, even if it meant I couldn't keep it afterwards. That's why God invented digital cameras for, so you could keep a nice pix of it :o You still have bragging rights to your friends right? And that's half the fun!

Wow! One's perspective after finding ten gold coins probably differs from the person who's never found one.

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
If thats the agreement i made i couldnt keep the coin in good conscience. i usually find that giving the owner first crack on found items is a for sure way to hunt their property, however i usually say that if we find anything of great value we spit it down the middle. For me its about finding it, not about keeping it. it would be hard to give up a gold coin tho.

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
halfdime said:
Tom_in_CA said:
Hey out-raged: You say:

Why would anyone waste their time digging up all those finds for nothing

Since when is a finding a $5 gold piece "nothing"? I've had the thrill of finding ten gold coins in my years of this, and I would gladly welcome the opportunity to find another one, even if it meant I couldn't keep it afterwards. That's why God invented digital cameras for, so you could keep a nice pix of it :o You still have bragging rights to your friends right? And that's half the fun!

Wow! One's perspective after finding ten gold coins probably differs from the person who's never found one.

Very true...I guess if i found one there is nothing anyone could do to pry it out of my lil sweaty hand....

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
Korban said:
For me its about finding it, not about keeping it.

But isn't that kinda like going to a coin show and yelling WOW i found all these coins...Then going home with nothing?

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
The deal I usally make is this (depending on the hunted property and potentiel value). I keep the coins you keep the relics, should we find somthing of significant value we sell it and spilt it 50/50 or you buy my half for appraised value.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I would invite him to hunt my property anytime. Not that I would keep what he found, but I know I would have the opportunity to see everything he found. As for some of you other people, I wouldn't let you hunt my kids sandbox. I would like to congratulate you on an amazing find, and for also being a honest and decent representative to our great hobby.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I have made this type of agreement and honored it - giving everything to the owner of the property. I'm glad it wasn't a gold coin I had to give away. That would have really hurt. Now I say that if the find is worth over $50 it will be auctioned off and the profit split. This still leaves me or the property owner the opportunity to buy back the item for half the actual value.

DirtyHowi

Oct 6, 2006
somewhere in the middle of nowhere iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 Thank You Santa :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after reading all of this, to the returner of the coin, kudos.

Whether or not any one of us would enter into that agreement is moot, he did, he honored it.

and remember, trust is something you can only have lost from you once...

jhnbaker

Greenie
Mar 28, 2007
Booneville Mississippi
I admire anyone who would do that however I would not even enter into an agreement such as that. People who give us permission to hunt on their land should expect that someone who has spent a great deal of money on a quality detector and time hunting would be keeping what they find unless of course it is something such as a wedding ring class ring or of a personal intimate nature. In that case I would do everything I could to find the person that lost it and give it to them with my compliments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread