Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rare_Hunter

Thread: Greetings everyone back from the long slumber. Catching up from a 6 year break!.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2009
    Green Bay, Wi
    Tesoro Tejon Tesoro Golden U-Max
    10 times

Greetings everyone back from the long slumber. Catching up from a 6 year break!.

It was March of 2009 and I got the detecting bug hard.
    And it was.... AWESOME! I almost immediately pulled out an 1826 large one cent and the feeling left a lifetime imprint with me.
    I continued for about one year and then things happened. Life stuff.
    Now 6 years later I am having those old feelings rush back in and am ready for action.
    I original had the Tejon however that unit is now long gone.
    Arriving home from my old mans this evening with a golden umax in the back of my truck.
    Apparently my brother tried it out also and sold it off to my father, who never got to experience the joy / adventure of detecting.

I no longer have a pinpointer or headphones.
    I know I always ran with headphones but was wondering if this is really necessary?.
    Do any of your guys run without phones?. Am I going to want to analyze the tone closely with headphones or shouldn’t i be able to do that with the built in speaker?
    Ill probably get annoyed without a pinpointer so I will have to pick one up.

While this could be another topic what is the story with the golden umax?. I see Tesoro pulled the plug on it.
    Well, just had to share I am glad to give this another go this fine summer and hopefully get to share the experience as it goes.

Has anything changed significantly with this hobby in the last 6 years?
    Have there been any technological breakthroughs?. New gear as must haves for detecting?
    Any newcomer detector manufactures or models that have changed the game?
    Last edited by Rare_Hunter; May 17, 2015 at 12:04 AM.
    Tnmountains likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    8275 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    You can get a set of head phones for around $35.00. That machine will get you back into the game. I hunted for many years with out a pin pointer it is not necessary but makes recovery quicker. Lots of technological leaps in the machines and we all have our opinions but that machine will get you back discovering treasure.
    Welcome back!
    HH
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    DiggerGal

Oct 2013
    California
    Garrett AT Pro
    503 times
    Welcome back to the thrill of the hunt!
    Wonderful items lie in the History Beneath us.....

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    16312 times
    Relic Hunting
    It better than riding a bicycle getting back into the dirt. Has anything changed in the past 6yrs you ask? Just more products on the markets and a few less targets in the ground. Welcome back

Apr 2015
    Cleveland OH
    Minelab Equinox 600
    96 times
    Interestingly, today I went out without my headphones. I was tired of being "attached" to the detector when I wanted to put it down to dig a target. I actually like it without my headphones. Although, when I get into a noisy enviroment like windy days and sea shore, I know I need the headphones.

Here's an add on question. Would it save battery life if I plugged a powered speaker into the headphone jack. Or should I just stick with the onboard speaker in my silver uMax?

us
    CincinnatiKid

Nov 2013
    Cincinnati Ohio
    XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
    1228 times
    Welcome back.
    A pinpointer is a MUST. Headphones ��, not so much, unless in public areas or searching deep.
    Many new detectors these day. Search around, you'll be surprised.
    Also, post this in the Tesoro section.
    Very good luck to you!
    Peace ✌

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    2891 times
    Any headphones will work, like those for Iphones or IPads. I pick up mine at discount places like TJ Maxx for around $10 a pair. You will need an adapter to convert the 1/8 inch plug to a 1/4 though, but those are only a few dollars.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

us
    Mar 2009
    Green Bay, Wi
    Tesoro Tejon Tesoro Golden U-Max
    10 times
    Thank you everyone. I have my pinpointer picked out

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5175 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I don't wear headphones or use a pinpointer. I spend most of my time in the woods, so headphones aren't necessary. It is also a bad idea to wear headphones during hunting season! Plus, no one can sneak up on me if I'm not wearing them.

As for a pinpointer, your call. I watch a lot of metal detecting videos on YouTube and WAY too many of these guys are poking their dug holes for 5 minutes searching for the target. Either toss the soil over your coil or put the soil in a small plastic bin that's set on top of your overturned coil (that's what I do). Much faster and I almost never scratch my finds. Poking around the hole with your digger and then with your pinpointer will only do harm to many of your finds.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links