Greetings everyone back from the long slumber. Catching up from a 6 year break!.

Rare_Hunter

Mar 1, 2009
Green Bay, Wi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Tesoro Golden U-Max
It was March of 2009 and I got the detecting bug hard.
And it was.... AWESOME! I almost immediately pulled out an 1826 large one cent and the feeling left a lifetime imprint with me.
I continued for about one year and then things happened. Life stuff.
Now 6 years later I am having those old feelings rush back in and am ready for action.
I original had the Tejon however that unit is now long gone.
Arriving home from my old mans this evening with a golden umax in the back of my truck.
Apparently my brother tried it out also and sold it off to my father, who never got to experience the joy / adventure of detecting.

I no longer have a pinpointer or headphones.
I know I always ran with headphones but was wondering if this is really necessary?.
Do any of your guys run without phones?. Am I going to want to analyze the tone closely with headphones or shouldn’t i be able to do that with the built in speaker?
Ill probably get annoyed without a pinpointer so I will have to pick one up.

While this could be another topic what is the story with the golden umax?. I see Tesoro pulled the plug on it.
Well, just had to share I am glad to give this another go this fine summer and hopefully get to share the experience as it goes.

Has anything changed significantly with this hobby in the last 6 years?
Have there been any technological breakthroughs?. New gear as must haves for detecting?
Any newcomer detector manufactures or models that have changed the game?

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a set of head phones for around $35.00. That machine will get you back into the game. I hunted for many years with out a pin pointer it is not necessary but makes recovery quicker. Lots of technological leaps in the machines and we all have our opinions but that machine will get you back discovering treasure.
Welcome back!
HH

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It better than riding a bicycle getting back into the dirt. Has anything changed in the past 6yrs you ask? Just more products on the markets and a few less targets in the ground. Welcome back

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interestingly, today I went out without my headphones. I was tired of being "attached" to the detector when I wanted to put it down to dig a target. I actually like it without my headphones. Although, when I get into a noisy enviroment like windy days and sea shore, I know I need the headphones.

Here's an add on question. Would it save battery life if I plugged a powered speaker into the headphone jack. Or should I just stick with the onboard speaker in my silver uMax?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back.
A pinpointer is a MUST. Headphones ��, not so much, unless in public areas or searching deep.
Many new detectors these day. Search around, you'll be surprised.
Also, post this in the Tesoro section.
Very good luck to you!
Peace ✌

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any headphones will work, like those for Iphones or IPads. I pick up mine at discount places like TJ Maxx for around $10 a pair. You will need an adapter to convert the 1/8 inch plug to a 1/4 though, but those are only a few dollars.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't wear headphones or use a pinpointer. I spend most of my time in the woods, so headphones aren't necessary. It is also a bad idea to wear headphones during hunting season! Plus, no one can sneak up on me if I'm not wearing them.

As for a pinpointer, your call. I watch a lot of metal detecting videos on YouTube and WAY too many of these guys are poking their dug holes for 5 minutes searching for the target. Either toss the soil over your coil or put the soil in a small plastic bin that's set on top of your overturned coil (that's what I do). Much faster and I almost never scratch my finds. Poking around the hole with your digger and then with your pinpointer will only do harm to many of your finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread