Where to look for coins when ground been many times.

Oct 19, 2013
hilton ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this place that dates back to 1852. This place is been hunted many times from other metal detectors. How should I find coins if there anymore left, where should I look. The homestead foundation is still there, but there's no concrete left. Should I try around there or the farm field. I have try next to the foundation before and found nothing. If you have any suggestions that would be great. Thanks, Andrew.

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No site like that is completely hunted. People tend to do all the open easy areas. Get your coil where nobody has before.

It's difficult to tell where the woodpile was chopped and split, or where the daily vegetable garden was, but those are places where people spent time. Stand there and see where South is, where the house front or side door faced, and where YOU would have put the garden, or done chores.

Also spend more time on the south and southwest side of the house. If it had old fields, do the closest ones to the house

Also, if using Target ID, you really should also dig lower ID items not just high copper/silver ID's

Depends on your patience, or if you have tons of other places to try, but I now will hunt a spot at least 4-6 different times without finding something real good, before I give up.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Any tenets or basic principles of metal detecting would apply here. There is nothing unique about this location that would lead you to do anything differently than what you would do at any site.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most TH'ers hammer around the foundations - the actual farm fields get turned over every year - some yrs you may get nothing
others yrs you might kill it - I have a few colonial fields that have been hit by 100s of guys since 1980s
I still go back and find goodies - slow down - most guys try and cover 20 acres in a day and they miss stuff
if your spot is not totally trashed - try all metal and go for everything you can - iron will mask targets - Ive found many goodies with or under iron
plus in all metal you should get more depth

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pick a 20' x 20' patch of ground on the South side of the foundation. Drop that AT Pro into All Metal, and GRID the box. Listen HARD for whispers..

Good Hunting! :skullflag:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go when the ground is wet and plugs pop out easily. Dig the junky sounding signals. If you can go back many times make grid patterns as suggested earlier. If you only have a short time just wander around...That's what I do in well hunted areas.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go when the ground is wet and plugs pop out easily.

Best advice for any hard hit site. I've done some spots at least 40 times, but they still produce a few coins or relics after a heavy rain. The easiest way to get those deep targets is to go when the ground is saturated. Weak signals pop and good signals scream when the ground is wet.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slow and low...
Crank the vol and sens.... listen for the faint sounds.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hunt in early spring or late fall look for bare bushes and areas normally covered in underbrush that summer hunters may not be able to get to. Hunt the base of hills or washout areas where erosion may have brought previously deep targets closer to the surface. Look for newer structures like sidewalks, tennis courts, ramps etc and check along side them. Look for recent tree removals and tree plantings which sometimes turns up dirt. Hunt paths to and from the park. Look for old maps to see if the park had a different layout than present. Look for spots that are loaded with bottle tops and trash, which may have scared off other hunters.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As SusanMN mentioned above, those are excellent suggestions.

A fellow detectorist I met a few years back absolutely LOVED to detect "hunted-out" public parks in the Chicago area.
He would mentally grid off some of the trashiest areas he could find (after research) and then literally spend hours clearing all the bottle caps, aluminum and any iron from that area.

Then, after he gridded in one direction he would grid in the other. And that's when he started finding the stuff dreams are made of. . . his detecting buddies were envious of all the vintage silver coins and jewelry he managed pull from these parks. Once the initial "trash" layer is removed, the better targets will be revealed.

Good luck!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Take your time, if you can! Take the time to understand your machine, it's the only way. :-)

The other members have given you some very good ideas. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions