People avoidance is hindering my detecting!

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's true. I can be at a great site, and suddenly leave because a couple people show up and are watching me detect. I can't stand being stared at. Does anyone else have this sort of problem? I kinda stress out and get pissy when people are staring at me, or I'm in a crowd.

It's been a problem to find places secluded enough for me to be comfortable while detecting. I usually just go really early in the morning, or after a good rain, but after work during good weather I'm kinda screwed. Am I the only only one that feels this way about the public?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope. Never bothers me because I don't care.

Don't take this as an attack, as I'm certain you are not the only one who feels this way, but you need counseling.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ignore it, I hunt beaches where thousands are watching me and I can care less if someone is watching...

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Man that is YOUR PEACE TIME; never let someone stand in the way of that, especially someone who was not raised well enough to no watch others.

If it makes you feel better though, they are seriously not interested in you. Many people just want to see the art of the hobby in action, most of those ones do not want to check out your finds, they just want to stand witness to someone using an MD and finding something.

Thats your time when that MD is in your hand, do not allow people to take that from you. If it still bothers you then take up diving and go MDing down there, it is really peaceful.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe try detecting in public dressed like this...

052_2.jpg

I do. :tongue3:

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, you're not alone. I stick to detecting in the woods, for the most part, it's peaceful and fun. The fun goes away for me when folks are keenly eyeballing my detecting... some people are just born with a liking for solitude. You know the old saying "it takes all kinds". I wouldn't spend a second worrying about it.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Whether they are staring to see what/if you find anything or if they are intentionally trying to make you uncomfortable - doesn't matter. If you up and leave every time someone is watching you, then the watchers are gonna get the idea that maybe you're not supposed to be there in the first place. Then they'll do it more and more.

Even if an officer, stand your ground. If the officer walks up and asks you to leave, keep the peace and find another place - just keep the air clear that he's denying you to pursue your hobby in an authorized area.

My wife is easily intimidated. I guess I am too, but in reverse - I sorta go on the defensive; get this huge chip on my shoulder. Everyone is different. But leaving every time someone watches you openly and expressly gives them power over you.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not like people "watching" me either... actually, I do not like people period. You are not the only one.

Go early in the AM, or during poor weather, and you will encounter fewer people. I only go to certain places, at certain times.

You need to move to a secluded place... like Idaho... of never mind...

Best of luck to you sir!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I find it rewarding ignoring looky loo's. Ever have someone honk their horn to imitate what they think a metal detector sounds like? I wear headphones and don't flinch and inch. Some will do it over and over again, expecting you to at least look at them. How about when someone says, "'excuse me" trying to get your attention. I ignore them completley! If someone gets behind me, that's annoying, but other than that, just ignore them 100% and concentrate on the next target.

GL & HH ALL

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need a hardhat; neon-green reflective safety vest; clipboard; and walkie-talkie! Anybody that asks just tell them you are gps mapping gas and water lines, and removing junk metal so the readings are exact. :skullflag:

Pull tab mcfoilson

Jan 26, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett At max
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm like this also. I find that most times I'll just zone out and focus on what in doing and then it doesn't really matter to me whose around.

I still wouldn't go up to people sitting at at bench though.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's true. I can be at a great site, and suddenly leave because a couple people show up and are watching me detect. I can't stand being stared at. Does anyone else have this sort of problem? I kinda stress out and get pissy when people are staring at me, or I'm in a crowd.

It's been a problem to find places secluded enough for me to be comfortable while detecting. I usually just go really early in the morning, or after a good rain, but after work during good weather I'm kinda screwed. Am I the only only one that feels this way about the public?

For your own benefit ,try to simply if even slowly lengthen time in the public eye.
I used be very uptight about people watching me.
The beaches are good place because people will watch and talk to you.
I have found most people are curious.
Many have told me I got to get me one of them (metal detector). Most never follow through.
We do what some people only dream about.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
you need to have the look that people don't want be close to.

Hmm...red spots all over my face, hands and arms, white foam at the mouth, and scroungy clothes - why should I try to look different than I usually do??
:laughing9:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You need a hardhat; neon-green reflective safety vest; clipboard; and walkie-talkie! Anybody that asks just tell them you are gps mapping gas and water lines, and removing junk metal so the readings are exact. :skullflag:

Do they give banners for awesome answers?? :notworthy:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
When I am detecting, it is usually in the middle of nowhere. Even then, I may have the occasional watcher. I usually motion them over if they are close enough. This has occasionally garnered me local information on camps, mines, ghost towns, and caches I did not previously know, such as which foundation was for what business or residence.

For coin and jewelry hunters that frequent popular parks and beaches, watchers and talkers are part of the territory. When I used my first detector, a White's 6000, I almost always had watchers and talkers nearby. I just got used to it, and, as I pointed out, it was sometimes useful.

Time for coffee.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why....
I detect and I am gone...
Before most are awake.
Best time of the day...
Air is cool and tranquil...
water is tranquil...
beach is tranquil...
I am tranquil.
To me ...
There is nothing better in the world than to be on the beach or on the water as the sun rises.
The beach is clear... no one to walk around... free and clear.
All mine.
Including all the stuff that the day guys miss due to people being "in the way". heh
BUT...
I am also a sunset searcher... and head to the beach as the people are leaving...
They are busy leaving... I am busy detecting...
Getting the days drops...
Works perfect. :P

I loath... with a passion...
hunting with people around.
Kills my Zen.

I go to the beach to get away from people... To enjoy the nature of it.
If I wanted to meet and talk to people... I will go to a bar. heh

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. I am with you,, but if you try real hard to ignore them and don't dig in front of them or make eye contact, they'll get bored and leave

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I feel exactly the same way! I go right before daylight and usually leave by 8-9 am. Or go at dark thirty and hunt into the night. Very peaceful and serene but you must be careful if anyone wanting to cause you harm!

I avoid lookie-lous at all costs because they will either call the police and I don't want to encourage anyone else to catch the detecting bug!

I enjoy the beach more in the winter when it gets down fairly cold and all that's out are snowbirds. I feel stupid looking walking around a bunch of baby dolls in thong bikinis while looking like a geek!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions