People avoidance is hindering my detecting!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ain't EEEEEEVEN touching that one!! View attachment 1320711

Welcome to our World!!!

Reds Son Is in A Funny farm!!! Not Funny
My bosses Sons Friend Living with them Just Killed Himself In Her Basement today
Just past the 3rd Anniversary Of My Nephews Suicide
Reds New Family Is Giving a Lot Of Information On Her Child hood After Her Sister The Middle one was given up for adoption whish IS THE best part OF TODAY

No Counseling Needed Just Venting Off The Pressure HH And Good Luck Chug

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I get lots of stares and comments as if I can't hear in public when not detecting..
If I'm going detecting ,I'm going detecting ,human traffic or not ;I keep swinging.
The option is isolation. Tried that too. Would rather detect wherever.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I took the advice a few of you folks gave me and went to several places today to test out my new sniper coil that just came in the mail. Went to some ball fields about 7:30 pm and there were buttloads of people, so I detected around one of the nearby unoccupied fields. I kinda wanted to get the hell out of there, but I stayed anyway. It wasn't empowering by any means, but I stuck it out for about an hour of being watched...

It's never going to be a tolerable situation for me. I think a certain 'herbal' remedy would help me a lot, but alas, random drug tests are what keep me employed lol!

I never thought this thread would be a hot topic. Thanks for the input, gang.

And Terry: No, I'm not a veteran, I'm just highly intolerant of most people. :laughing7:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you detect is the key to limiting the crowds. I do soccer and baseball fields during the week, before the rugrats get out of school. Then I do schools on Sunday mornings, when most people are in church or running errands.

Detecting around a few people is no problem, but detecting around 75 people can become an issue. Always one or two in the crowd who will feel the need to meddle in your business. You don't have to be isolated while detecting, but it is a good thing to keep a low profile whenever possible.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"...I'm just highly intolerant of most people."

Oh yeah?? ....YEAH??!! -- -- -- sssoooo, welcome to the club. :wink:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I quoted you, only because your statements triggered a response from me towards this subject, I didn't intend to attack you. It was a general statement not entirely directed at you personally.

But if the shoe fits.... wear it?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm gettin' while the gettin's good!!

Ciao! - Copy.gif

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I first got into detecting seriously...
I was detecting an old beach bar cabana area on St. Pete beach...
Was killer...
I mean super killer...
I was young and this guy approached me with a ton a MD questions about what I found etc etc...
I wanted to "show off" a bit... so I showed him what I was finding and etc about my detectors...

A few days later I went to the same spot.

Holes everywhere... UN filled... trash exposed and left behind... and nothing worth a piss left.
And there I stood with a detector in my hand as a guy walked down from the hotel and says... "you cannot detect here"...

Mind you... I never had a problem prior.

The moral of the story... your interaction and "sharing" can really be "sinking your own ship".

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If you feel uncomfortable digging where your allowed because of people watching you, you have uncovered something about yourself that should be examined. Especially if you're unhappy about it. The reason I think that some are uncomfortable is because of false beliefs about what they are doing. On a certain level you may think what you are doing is odd. ( It wouldn't bother you to go to the a park and ride a bike or throw a frisbee now would it?) The only odd thing about it is, that you think it is odd. Then we have concern about what others may think. Unless they tell you or give you some kind of indication, you don't know what there thinking, unless you have some extraordinary ability. They could be thinking, wow! that looks like a cool and fun thing to do! And some who watch you are thinking just that. The bottom line, it's all in your head.

Last edited:

CharonPompeii

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be tough to get over the discomfort, I get that. It may sound silly but there are general exercises you can do on a regular basis to reduce stress. It may not be immediately noticeable but if you practice yoga regularly, you're stress will diminish guaranteed. I'm not saying it won't bother you when someone watches you but it might not bother you as much as it does now. On the other hand, there are plenty of places/schedules that will keep you largely out of the public eye, but when you're doing that, be careful! A guy by himself walking around wearing headphones with a pocket full of potentially valuable finds could run into some trouble. Stay safe out there!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Next time I detect a crowded park, I think I will dress up like a clown for the added attention. Just realized i already dress like a clown. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464969153.889908.jpg

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But if the shoe fits.... wear it?

I tried to play nice, but you feel the need to keep it going. Both of your comments were rude and unacceptable, period. Physician, heal thyself because I'm done arguing with you.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you feel uncomfortable digging where your allowed because of people watching you, you have uncovered something about yourself that should be examined. Especially if you're unhappy about it. The reason I think that some are uncomfortable is because of false beliefs about what they are doing. On a certain level you may think what you are doing is odd. ( It wouldn't bother you to go to the a park and ride a bike or throw a frisbee now would it?) The only odd thing about it is, that you think it is odd. Then we have concern about what others may think. Unless they tell you or give you some kind of indication, you don't know what there thinking, unless you have some extraordinary ability. They could be thinking, wow! that looks like a cool and fun thing to do! And some who watch you are thinking just that. The bottom line, it's all in your head.

lol... if you say so. heh :/

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get you a t-shirt made that see "go the **** away!" I wish blissful solitude.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scott2373

Greenie
Apr 29, 2016
Williamson, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Treasure Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like I got into the right hobby with a lot of like-minded individuals! As I get older, I find people less enjoyable. I don't have kids and always wanted it that way; thankfully I married the right woman! Unfortunately however, I always become the child magnet at friends gatherings. I deal with it as best I can and everyone tells me how awesome a father I would make...blah, blah, blah. I'm a solitary person and always have been. I just received my equipment today and you guys are already causing me serious angst, LOL! I don't want people swarming me, or kids running all over the place when I'm out "in the field". Oh well, I suppose it's "one of those things". I'll deal with it as I see fit when that time comes.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Scott, and welcome! There's another thread that started today - can't remember the title offhand (just came in from outside - mosquito HELL!!). There are several stories about standing up for one's rights. VERY good material. When people shy away from onlookers, it gives the impression that the MDer was doing something wrong. If "most" MDers do that, then people start to believe that MDing is not allowed for that area, and people would soon start calling the police. It's a vicious cycle.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Scott, and welcome! There's another thread that started today - can't remember the title offhand (just came in from outside - mosquito HELL!!). There are several stories about standing up for one's rights. VERY good material. When people shy away from onlookers, it gives the impression that the MDer was doing something wrong. If "most" MDers do that, then people start to believe that MDing is not allowed for that area, and people would soon start calling the police. It's a vicious cycle.

? ? ?

This is not true.

Metal detecting is not new...
Nor is it "semi" new...
But many think that it is a relatively "new" thing.

This has ALWAYS been a "low key" type of lifestyle.
It has never been a "look at me and what I find / found" type of thing.
IT has been a "personal" thing for those who are serious about it.

The "fake book" world / front. Is the "new gen" with posts and "sharing"... And an "in your face approach"...
But believe me... This is not the "norm".

See.. Mding would have never lasted as long as it has with that approach.
It is in my humble opinion that because it has remained "calm" and low key TO SOME DEGREE...
IS why it has survived / is / been tolerated.

My point being...
I personally have purposely avoided people while detecting... as well as MOST detectorists of more years than I who have been seriously successful at it.
Who have never once had an interaction with a cop due to someone calling them on me or them.
That's is MY own honest personal experience.

And I have more years than I can count under my belt at this.
ALL over the U.S... and one time in Europe.

So to say... " if you keep to yourself you will have the cops called on you"....
is simply...

Not true.

PS> People have seen MDrs walking on beaches and parks forever.
Its the guys who don't fill their holes or detect in some asinine area OR AN illegal / off limits area...
Or make a mess or noise... or act shady... or trespass... etc.. that get the cops called on them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions