People avoidance is hindering my detecting!

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have to chime in one more time. When I get the urge to hit the beach or the water I want to go. At my age you wonder how many more years you have to go. If you think for one minute I am going to allow a group or single person determine when it's my time on the beach, the woods or any other place on earth you are wrong. This is a super hobby. There is nothing negative about it. There are really great people on this site. They love their hobby and they want to get out there. Stop worrying about what others think and get out there! Meet people, laugh with them, enjoy their questions and yes there are annoying comments which I find are not that often. That's my two cents worth! enjoy life you only get one.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
AARC - I understand what you're saying, and it is correct.....to a point. However, there are high-traffic places that you CANNOT detect without being seen and maybe confronted by others (whether positive or negative). As population density continues to grow, So, too, will MDers have to learn to hunt within the public eye if they want to hunt in the high-traffic areas. Also, lots of people usually means a greater chance of finding newer finds - newer coins that aren't worth much, newer jewelry, newer watches (maybe still running), etc. There will "hopefully" always be places where people can go to get away from it all. But the new "urban" detectorist is gonna have to learn to adjust to people. In being a good MDing representative, that should help this high-density population learn to accept MDers and MDing into the future.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people ask you what you are doing. Ask them why they are asking. Do not let these fools upset you.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp... it again boils down to...

it is not... "just about me".

To preserve what bits of "integrity" the MD lifestyle has left...
AND to help BUILD upon those bits and try to gain acceptance and trust amongst the general public and authorities.
I and others have chosen to follow the rules of the road...
Which has become more and more... "the road less traveled"...
Which... in this "hobby" OR "sport" as some are now calling it... is very important in the plight for its survival...
And to keep / continue to keep the NOW LIMITED (gee I wonder why) spots and locations open to detecting.

Guess that's why I have... and do...
gain permissions that others cannot.

I think many think what I am saying here is to "hide" while detecting ...
This IS NOT what I mean or am saying.

What I am saying is ... have respect ... not just for the general public...
But for the entire MD community's future.

To "see" long term... for future generations of MDrs... is key to ensuring that others get to enjoy this as well.

"bad apples" or those that feel the need to "cut corners" or "rub it in the face of others"...
OR break laws...
OR what the hell ever...
ARE the reason we are "loosing ground".

LITERALLY.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember ... for every person that "thinks its cool" and is interested in what you are doing and what you have found etc...

There is another thinking the opposite.

"There are those that call it a hobby or pastime...
Those that call it a sport...
For those who live it... and have a deep love for it...
There is no name for it...
It's just a way of life".

ARC

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go detecting when I want, times I go are based on tides, weather conditions and my desire to detect that day, I couldn't care less if it is just me on the beach or if the beach I'm on has 10,000 people there watching me detect...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well DiamondDan,
I felt the same way when i first got into the hobby. I still don't like crowds, people staring, unsolicited opinions, repeatedly getting questioned, being laughted at, having things thrown at me, pictures taken, etc.

If they ever invent invisible detecting wear, you, i, and a heck of alot of others will be first ones in line!

But untill then we just have to find ways to deal with our fellow, non-detecting, mankind's (sometimes rude) intrusions into our world.

Wearing headphones i can ignore people, i hear them but they don't have to know that.

Usually humor helps to fend off their unwanted attention & questions:
"did you find my diamond ring?"
...me, "Was it out of the gum machine?"

I take the time to answer questions from what i feel are truley interested people (even tho i don't want to), because you maybe encouraging a new detectorist.
I also talk to police, never know when you may need them!

Each of us, because we are different and the situations will vary have to invent ways to deal with the situations and people we run across.
I try to stay positive but sometimes it doesn't work. At the beach a man kept throwing pennies at me till finally I yelled over to him "Stop being such a cheapskate, throw hundred dollar bills!!". He stopped
If he had not i would have told him i will file "assault & battery" charges.

I think one of my turning points came while detecting a city playground at dusk.
I was alone untill a guy with a shot gun held across in front of him started across the grass towards me. I'm thinking; "can't out run a bullet!" i was fully prepared to wrap my detector around his head if it came to that.

Since he wasn't pointing the gun at me i waited to see what he wanted, and i got a little angry, cause i had every right to be there and my detecting time is limited.
Seems they have trouble with drug deals there. We had a brief conversation then i left, only because it had gotten dark.

The older i get the more i stand up for myself, cause i'm tired of being walked on and i could careless what people think of me.
The only opinion of me that matters, is my own...and i like me!

Some of us are not people persons, i'm not. I have found ways to get along with most, but not all. I try hard to stay off the general publics radar, but if i can't i'm going to detect anyhow, because its for "me".

Don't give up, you will find a way. Happy hunting!

Forgot to mention, i must dress like a bag lady, i had a wonan, who doesn't speak english, chase me down and give me a quarter, i tried to give it back but she refused. Who am i to deny her, her good deed. I kept it.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well DiamondDan,
I felt the same way when i first got into the hobby. I still don't like crowds, people staring, unsolicited opinions, repeatedly getting questioned, being laughted at, having things thrown at me, pictures taken, etc.

If they ever invent invisible detecting wear, you, i, and a heck of alot of others will be first ones in line!

But untill then we just have to find ways to deal with our fellow, non-detecting, mankind's (sometimes rude) intrusions into our world.

Wearing headphones i can ignore people, i hear them but they don't have to know that.

Usually humor helps to fend off their unwanted attention & questions:
"did you find my diamond ring?"
...me, "Was it out of the gum machine?"

I take the time to answer questions from what i feel are truley interested people (even tho i don't want to), because you maybe encouraging a new detectorist.
I also talk to police, never know when you may need them!

Each of us, because we are different and the situations will vary have to invent ways to deal with the situations and people we run across.
I try to stay positive but sometimes it doesn't work. At the beach a man kept throwing pennies at me till finally I yelled over to him "Stop being such a cheapskate, throw hundred dollar bills!!". He stopped
If he had not i would have told him i will file "assault & battery" charges.

I think one of my turning points came while detecting a city playground at dusk.
I was alone untill a guy with a shot gun held across in front of him started across the grass towards me. I'm thinking; "can't out run a bullet!" i was fully prepared to wrap my detector around his head if it came to that.

Since he wasn't pointing the gun at me i waited to see what he wanted, and i got a little angry, cause i had every right to be there and my detecting time is limited.
Seems they have trouble with drug deals there. We had a brief conversation then i left, only because it had gotten dark.

The older i get the more i stand up for myself, cause i'm tired of being walked on and i could careless what people think of me.
The only opinion of me that matters, is my own...and i like me!

Some of us are not people persons, i'm not. I have found ways to get along with most, but not all. I try hard to stay off the general publics radar, but if i can't i'm going to detect anyhow, because its for "me".

Don't give up, you will find a way. Happy hunting!

Forgot to mention, i must dress like a bag lady, i had a wonan, who doesn't speak english, chase me down and give me a quarter, i tried to give it back but she refused. Who am i to deny her, her good deed. I kept it.

I ignored 3 thugs that were laughing and joking about that old guy on a soccer field with a metal detector. I tried not to make eye contact thinking it would excite them into wanting to start something with me. After 5 mins or so it got really quiet and about that time I remembered having left my backpack on the bleachers where they had been sitting making wise cracks about me. I walked straight over and noticed they slipped off with my backpack that only had a few batteries and a detector rain fly in it! Oh I could have killed the little "jokers" if o got my hands on them.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya there are all kinds out there, you have to be able gage people and figure out what they may do...and what action you may have to take.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, When they ask if I found their diamond ring or Rolex watch, I tell 'em,
"Awww man, I sold that watch or ring, just the other day"! LOL! :laughing7:

Cute story: Man with his 2 teenagers, one boy, one girl were at Dania beach, the man motioned me over, said, his son swallowed a quarter when he was little, could I check and see if it's still in him? :icon_scratch:

We all laughed, when I asked him, which end, did he think, I should start at? :laughing7:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost exclusively beach hunt and do so at night only ! Unless I'm with friends and do it late afternoon. In parks i pick off hours in secluded areas, i cant stand nosy people unless they are friendly and i reply in kind.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost exclusively beach hunt and do so at night only ! Unless I'm with friends and do it late afternoon. In parks i pick off hours in secluded areas, i cant stand nosy people unless they are friendly and i reply in kind.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to chime in one more time. When I get the urge to hit the beach or the water I want to go. At my age you wonder how many more years you have to go. If you think for one minute I am going to allow a group or single person determine when it's my time on the beach, the woods or any other place on earth you are wrong. This is a super hobby. There is nothing negative about it. There are really great people on this site. They love their hobby and they want to get out there. Stop worrying about what others think and get out there! Meet people, laugh with them, enjoy their questions and yes there are annoying comments which I find are not that often. That's my two cents worth! enjoy life you only get one.

This is a healthy response. I'm going to reiterate what slider66 said but in a different manner. Remember that this life we are living is just a temporary condition,enjoy while you can.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go detecting when I want, times I go are based on tides, weather conditions and my desire to detect that day, I couldn't care less if it is just me on the beach or if the beach I'm on has 10,000 people there watching me detect...

And if and when you reach this point you've succeeded . Imho

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions