2 really cool sites I'm going to hunt!

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So recently I was able to restart my hobby of metal detecting, and CRH'ing. Now I would have done a bit more CRH'ing but I got laid off :( anyways, I have 2 places to hunt and I love the history behind them.

Location 1
A colonial era house in Connecticut that my dad managed to pick up and refurbish. The floor of the cellar is dirt, as in, there is no concrete or anything under it. It's literally that old. The foundation has been inspected several times, and it is the oldest house in the area. The foundation is late 1700's. Definitely a very cool house. Just looking in the cellar without my metal detector I turned up wrought iron handmade nails, easily 200+ years old. I didn't see any circular outlines in the dirt, but I'm almost positive I could turn up some very well preserved coins that aren't too deep! Cellar aside, the grassy areas of the yard have been pretty unchanged, and while I was digging holes to plant some rosemary I found another nail of the same age. I will be assisting my dad with working on that house in the coming month or so and I will definitely be posting my finds so keep an eye out for them! The towns historical society says that the house was part of some farmland, and it was used most likely as a bunk house for the workers. I could find some very fascinating things!

Location 2
Summer house in Maine. It is built on a lakefront that was used at one point by all of the ice companies in the area 80ish-140ish years ago. In the past, when I was a kid and didn't know how to properly use a detector, I had found burned down houses filled with nails, old bullet casings, a steam powered tractor transmission, ice saw blades, and my favorite, an intact old mason jar with it's lid. Unfortunately the thing that seals it, and the metal piece had been rotted away mostly, but the jar is still pretty! From the history I researched, the ice workers there were known to be heavy drinkers...and I discovered this personally! Aside from all of the ancient smashed beer bottles I discovered in the midden piles, while I was swimming across the lake with some family members, in 3 feet of water my dad pulled up a huge blown glass whiskey jug. Not only that, just a week later I found another in about a foot of water! Ice workers in my particular location were allowed to carry guns, since there was a lot of dangerous wildlife in the area (bears, wolves, cougars, etc) at the time. Being drunkards, I would almost bet money someone dropped their revolver or pistol accidentally. As for old coins, I would love to find some coins. My grandfather gave me 2 of the coins that he found there (or so he said :P) for my coin collection which included: a 3 cent silver, and a shield nickel (I don't have the years because the coins are currently at the said house in Maine!)

strongarm18

Apr 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, so intriguing! I'll be in York Maine this summer, then going up to Vermont (Isle Le Mott) for a cabin. I don't even know where to start in Maine with my AT Pro. I'm primarily a park & beach detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread