So who out there has actually found a cache?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For purposes of clarification, it has to be coins found very close together, 10 or more pre 1820, 20 or more post 1820 coins. Early, early coins were scarce those days, so I left the number at 10. Either found loose like if the bag holding it disintegrated and they were left in the ground, left in a hollow tree, buried in a jar or other container, under some bricks, etc.

Darryl just found a monster cache. I found a cache of 10 1793-1804 US coins back a long time at a foundation of a house now long gone. They were all within a 5' x 5' area. That was in 1991. I still have most of them.

Who else had found something similar? Nosy people want to know!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had the pleasure of finding 142 wheat cents (1920's - 1940's) in a two foot area at a depth of 5". There was a broken glass jar with some coins still in it. Therefore it's a good bet they all came from the jar.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that qualifies. I supposed later this year we'll go up to where Darryl found his broken jar. We found silvers scattered about 200 feet away, something like that. There may be more there. No one else is allowed to detect there, so the place isn't going anywhere.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; In 1986 I found a box of coins and jewelry at 9" at an old house here. There were 7 Morgans, 19 Barber Halves, 3 Seated Liberty Halves, 21 Standing Liberty Quarters, 8 Barber Quarters, 41 Indian Heads, 4 Flying Eagle Cents 16 Liberty Nickels, 13 Barber Dimes and 6 Seated Dimes and 1- 3 Cent Piece. I was on cloud ten. That was 139 coins total.!!! There was also a Gold Charm, a gold Locket and a wedding ring. I've never come close to that since. I'm still happy. What a rush. PEACE:RONB

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
4 years ago, me and a buddy of mine were detecting a gold miners homestead (mid 1800's) we came across in the mountains. Known for hiding their stash within eye shot of the kitchen or bedroom, or near the outhouse, I detected around the delapitated outhouse and got a large, strong signal. I dug down about a foot, and low and behold, I unburied two sealed Prince Albert cans. My heart was beating out of my chest as my fingers fumbled to pull them out of the ground. I felt like a wobbly jello blob as I picked the two heavy cans out of the ground. I pried the first one open, and it was full of

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry guys, I had to take a leak. Oh yeah, the cans were empty. But the conditions I explained that I felt were real, as well as the rest of my story (except for the cans being heavy).

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found no cache, but have serious bladder for many years. Keep me up during the night.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly I have never found a chache. If I found even four mason jars full of silver dollars I am not sure I would broadcast that find in public. Don't want no revenuers coming round my digs.:dontknow:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found a cache, but if I did, I would take Karl Von Mueller's advise "if you find treasure keep your mouth shut! Because there will always be someone who will try to take it from you!"

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few dozen silvers isn't anything I think they would worry about. It's all that imaginary gold they want their grubby hands on.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have yet to pull a mason jar full of old coins, but I have dug 3 coin caches. The 1st was 150 pennies and 2 nickles from near a tree trunk at the football field in town in 2014. No.2 was a compact pulled from an old burn pit that held 4 wheat pennies from the 30's & 40's dug in 2015. My last cache was dug at a site where a house used to sit that the town now owns. It was a plastic treasure chest that held 71 coins and a marble. I presume it was buried by a child in 1967 since that was the date of the newest coin. The best coins in the cache were 14 wheat pennies, 3 silver rosies and 2 silver Washington quarters. I dug the treasure chest earlier this year. I did pull a cache of Shell tokens from an old yard in town in 2014 that held 22 tokens.

I know someday I will pull a nice cache that holds nothing but old coins, mostly silvers.

GL & HH to all.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found one on the edge of a Civil War battlefield. A soldier either hid or threw it down to keep from having it taken from him: 2 half dimes, 23 dimes and 7 quarters with dates from 1836-1860. All in the space of a kitchen table. Along with a "squared" up 3 ringer that the soldier had in his poke...d2

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be honest, and always pay your state and federal income taxes.

"Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God" Benjamin Franklin.

It'll be a cold day in hell when I'm honest to the most dishonest entity on the planet.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly I have never found a chache. If I found even four mason jars full of silver dollars I am not sure I would broadcast that find in public. Don't want no revenuers coming round my digs.:dontknow:
My mantra for years & years. Dig it up. Put it up. Shut up! Notoriety isn't your friend.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think anybody will divulge any significant cache finds on a public forum. I for sure wouldn't or won't. I did once hunt in the attic of a mid 1800s mansion that had been divided into apartments and I lived in one. The attic floor was covered in vermiculite for insulation and there were catwalks all across the expanse. I crawled along the catwalks on my hands and knees just scooping in the vermiculite and after about a half hour of searching found a coin purse with 24 silver coins in it, all seated or barbers, mostly dimes, largest were two barber halves. Spent a bunch more hours on the catwalks and found a small iron toy but no more coins. I cannot or will not discuss better finds from back in the day. Ten years later burglars relieved me of the purse and it's contents.
Speaking of rentals, I have rented many abodes in the last fifty years and always opened all sink traps in every place I rented, and have found six gold rings doing so out of about seven places. If you rent, buy an old house, or scour abandoned houses ALWAYS check the sink traps!!

Last edited:

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's a 100 coins that 100.00 bucks no big deal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread