So who out there has actually found a cache?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding a few coins (100 or so w/no gold) is one thing. But if anybody is lucky enough to find a few hundred mid 1800's gold coins I'd highly suggest to keep your mouth shut. And if you want the now monetary value of them then sell off slowly and just smile!

Not smart and not legal.

1st. off what's not smart about it? And 2nd. what's illegal about it? Who in their right mind would want to announce to the world that they found well over 200+ gold coins from 1849+? What is there to gain from announcing it? If done I'm absolutely sure "other's" would step up and want a part of it (government first - as in CA.). If they were hidden for 165 years then found who cares except you. And selling them off is then a personal endeavor. Who would WANT to share monetary value with anybody if nobody knew...?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, now that I think about it, I have found a cache!
Couple years ago, I found 18 or so Mexican 10 peso coins, all from the 1940's....
Rang up as nickel signals, the pinpointer was going nuts, these brown quarter sized things, all crusty and toasted came pouring out of the ground, think there was a Cuban coin in there too.

FWIW, it only takes one Tnet member to ask for a pic.:tongue3:

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
# 34, will do, but checkers is my game, and I am real good at it. I do not have brains to play chess.

I don't do checkers. But, here's a game that "Bubba" will play with you, if you do go to jail...

Attachments

• University-Games-Indoor-Cornhole-The--pTRU1-23807464dt.jpg
    University-Games-Indoor-Cornhole-The--pTRU1-23807464dt.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 54

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honest Samuel, read all your post on this thread, all I can say is, Things that make ya say "Wow".

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The word "cache" assumes value. It really does not. It could be marbles, Lincoln Zincolns, silvers, Indian or Civil War artifacts, anything. I don't think anyone is really interested in a small cache of anything but diamonds, platinum or gold. Or maybe a half dozen Confederate buckles! That would be wild! Finding any of those would be like having a 500 pound meteor land in your front lawn without damaging your house. Now, due to the significance of such a meteor find I'm sure it would get SOMEONE's attention. I have never met a digger who found a cache of diamonds, platinum or gold. Last years' find of a boatload of Civil War Shaler bullets, well, that counts as a cache. Was found in Virginia. My kids buried change they permanently "borrowed" in my front lawn in the late 80's. We are still digging them up. Digging in your front lawn isn't really very romantic. We have found probably 40 coins. They re all clad or cents. I guess that is a "cache", but find even a couple hundred dollars worth of coins or whatever is, like, nice find, but I make more than that at a week at work. Now finding a roll of 1916-D Mercs in grandmom's attic, that would be something! As stated previously, I have spent more on machines, gas and motels than I'll EVER get back if I sold my stuff.

I have never gone "cache hunting", although my pitiful finds of eaten up coppers was a cache. Found a zillion years ago. Now come this weekend, my buddy and I are going cache hunting at the woods edge where we have (he has), found now 1 cache and a scattered remnants of a 2nd cache. We think there is more there. With the rain today, we will probably get this weekend in before it is planted, but I have a horrible head sinus thing going on, so....

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The word "cache" assumes value. It really does not. It could be marbles, Lincoln Zincolns, silvers, Indian or Civil War artifacts, anything...

Well, my goodness, why didn't you say that to begin with?

Would the worlds largest concentration of used beer cans and pull tabs count? If so, not only did I find it, I bought the land ... before I found the aluminum ... while the property has been occupied since the mid 1800's, I've yet to find a coin more than 1/2" deep, and all of those were zincolns. It has been sub divided a couple of times, and I must have bought the old recycling pit section.

However, I do have a little over a wheelbarrow and a half full of can slaw I've dug here before I gave up.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, beer cans count. As do marbles.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well hell then.... So does my cache of horseshoes!!! Now they were a little spread out up and down this old forgotten road so probably just a large cache maybe...? BARKER stole the "Golden One".

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
In that case, my cache of rocks must count! 50 rocks, all found within one foot of each other in a riverbed!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In that case, my cache of rocks must count! 50 rocks, all found within one foot of each other in a riverbed!

Ok buddy... I'm calling ya on this one! 50 rocks / 1 ft....? Were they all precious metals...? (I get your point) :occasion14:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rocks count. Some are worth a whole lot of money. I just bought a jar of marbles. I seem to have lost mine. har har har har

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think I will ever find a cache. I pass on so many signals that are too long, too loud and too deep that if I swing over one I'll never know. But at least my beer can recovery count is way down. I did find 30 quarters in a 30"spill at an elementary school last year. Not sure what clicked for me to dig.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think I will ever find a cache. I pass on so many signals that are too long, too loud and too deep that if I swing over one I'll never know. But at least my beer can recovery count is way down. I did find 30 quarters in a 30"spill at an elementary school last year. Not sure what clicked for me to dig.

How old were the quarters, at 30" down? Clad I assume, buried by a student?

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out Charlie Garrett's ( yes, founder of Garrett metal detectors and author of several books) "Jackpot" silver cache find when he pulled a large "planted" rock out of the ground.
That would've definitely made my day.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pa dirt, nc sand, don't pass up the screamers. I found a Rev War belt plate at a place my club had POUNDED. It was so OBVIOUS a shallow big signal, they thought it was semi precious aluminum. Not.

lurk

Oct 28, 2015
Midwest
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD SE, Pro Pointer AT, Nel Sharpshooter coil, formerly ATPro & ATGold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pa-dirt_nc-sand This. I almost always pass on these huge signals. My f75 gives an overload tone too when its a big chunk of something so I have very little information other than its big. Theres always a water main shut off in almost every yard I've detected and I guess I have gave myself a training scar because I simply ignore them.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never ignore those large signals and this is why...d2
013.JPG

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How old were the quarters, at 30" down? Clad I assume, buried by a student?

Sorry, quarters were only a couple inches down but spread out in a 30" line. So it rang up like a pipe plus overload signal. Probably a cash box spill for a kids event.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pa dirt, nc sand, don't pass up the screamers. I found a Rev War belt plate at a place my club had POUNDED. It was so OBVIOUS a shallow big signal, they thought it was semi precious aluminum. Not.

Hi Smokey. Nice plate find. Aqua Chigger has a video where he is actually sort of looking for those beer can signals and digs up a couple CW plates. I'm going to have to rehit some of my older sites and dig big crazy signals

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
Not Coins but .. I did find over 2300 religious medals in two holes not more then 10 feet apart. Just under 125 were sterling . They were from all over the world. ..
JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread