Other
Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Great article. Exactly what I'm dealing with here.

I think most of us are dealing with the same problem. We used to have and probably still do have a few Grey Wolves in East Tennessee. One female that I believe TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency) had tagged, used to cross the highway less than a half mile from my' home. She traveled quite some distance to find a mate and was eventually hit by a car or truck while crossing the road. There are quite a few Coyotes in our area that are crossed with Wolves and some with Dogs or both. A new Walmart went in more than 10 years ago in what used to be very dense grown up fields about a mile and half from my' home. When they cleared the land to build the new Walmart, they ran out a very large pack or several packs of Coyotes and they moved into the pasture fields near my' home but which are now crop fields. Quite a few other businesses were eventually built around the Walmart but once things settled, more Coyotes moved back into the portions of the field that were not cleared or were allowed to again be overtaken by brush and weeds. The Coyotes move back and forth between that field and all the fields surrounding my' home and the neighborhood I live in. If I had to estimate how many Coyotes there are within a 2 mile radius of my' home, I would guess at the least 300 and that is probably a low estimate. They have killed many of the Deer, Rabbits, some Squirrels, Groundhogs, Ground Squirrels (Chipmunks), Quail, Pheasant and most other small wild animals. There is not much left for them to eat, so now they go after the pets and song birds and eventually will have to expand their diet to humans if they want to survive or resort to cannibalism.

Frank

Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I think must of us are dealing with the same problem. We used to have and probably still do have a few Grey Wolves in East Tennessee. One female that I believe TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency) had tagged, used to cross the highway less than a half mile from my' home. She traveled quite some distance to find a mate and was eventually hit by a car or truck while crossing the road. There are quite a few Coyotes in our area that are crossed with Wolves and some with Dogs or both. A new Walmart went in more than 10 years ago in what used to be very dense grown up fields about a mile and half from my' home. When they cleared the land to build the new Walmart, they ran out a very large pack or several packs of Coyotes and they moved into the pasture fields near my' home but which are now crop fields. Quite a few other businesses were eventually built around the Walmart but once things settled, more Coyotes moved back into the portions of the field that were not cleared or were allowed to again be overtaken by brush and weeds. The Coyotes move back and forth between that field and all the fields surrounding my' home and the neighborhood I live in. If I had to estimate how many Coyotes there are within a 2 mile radius of my' home, I would guess at the least 300 and that is probably a low estimate. They have killed many of the Deer, Rabbits, some Squirrels, Groundhogs, Ground Squirrels (Chipmunks), Quail, Pheasant and most other small wild animals. There is not much left for them to eat, so now they go after the pets and song birds and eventually will have to expand their diet to humans if they want to survive or resort to cannibalism.

Frank

they will have to fight bullets and arrows if they want to eat me

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes rarely attack people. There have only been two documented fatal coyote attacks in the U.S. in recent history. Maybe you guys should do more reading on the subject before you start blasting away in the woods. It must be tough to be afraid of every living thing in this world...

"There have been a small number of attacks on people in the U.S. and Canada, with most of the attacks involving small children under 5 years of age. Since 3 million children are bitten by dogs every year, your small child is millions of times more likely to get hurt by the family pet than by a coyote."

Here's the whole article:

Coyote Attacks On People in the U.S. and Canada
Around here you stand up, stomp around a little breaking some sticks & yelling loudly & the coyotes are in the next county in a heartbeat. Coyotes are nothing more than entertainment!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Around here you stand up, stomp around a little breaking some sticks & yelling loudly & the coyotes are in the next county in a heartbeat. Coyotes are nothing more than entertainment!

It seems like out in areas that have many woods and are not very populated, the coyotes are much shier. I have never seen one within 500 feet, though I once saw a pack, and watched them howl, less than a quarter mile away in the distance of a huge field, that was a very cool experience. Out in the city there are some coyotes willing to get very close, normally due to being too used to humans, making no longer fear them.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've taken 3 (coyotes) from my kitchen table eating breakfast Sunday morning....just crack the patio door 6" and send the 22 mag down range 150 yards...let the buzzards clean'em up...even a the crack of a .22 would bring the SWAT team to my front door in my neighborhood ...the coyotes have avoided my food plot for 2 years now for some reason.....BTW.....i love animals....they are delicious....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ok, how do the coyotes get to your table and what do they eat?

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
ok, how do the coyotes get to your table and what do they eat?

Open the door for them, let them in, show them the table and serve your' a&$ up to them! Of course, they like to start by grabbing you by the throat, choking you to death, then drinking you dry of blood. Once that is done, they might eat the rest of you but they tend to not like folks that ask stupid questions.

Frank

Last edited:

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
So disappointingly enough I had my first hunt last night where I've been skunked. I mean nothing but iron and lead junk skunked.Not even interesting iron like a horseshoe or axe head. Went out for a night hunt at an old cellar hole last night. I was only there about 2 hours, and just after dark I started hearing some yips that I thought first was coming from my headphone. I pull the headphones off my ear and I hear that blood curdling howl that makes every hair stand on end, and only about 25 to 50 yards from me. Yup being hunted by the coyotes again..... So I back out of the woods brandishing my whites ground hog like a crazed lunatic.. Luckily enough I think I got my head up on a swivel just in time and they didn't really do much but make noise at me. I, in the baddest way, really need to get my handgun permit. I shouldn't complain too much though, I've been hunting for 4 years and I have never not come back with at least one interesting item.

Hey Tp,
Whatever it takes to feel safe, do it. I don't worry about coyotes but I've never been bothered by one either. A friend of mine got bitten by one a few years ago but he asked for it. I did get a sort of a fright from one once while still in my teens, it went like this: I was camped out in a farmer's hay field and upon awaking at first light there was a coyote sitting a few yards away and staring at me. I was always told that coyotes were harmless and wouldn't bother me but the darned thing sitting so close and staring at me gave me the willies! I reached along side of my sleeping bag where I had stashed my .22 rifle, raised it and without using the sights shot him in the neck. He died instantly and I have always regretted it but it was just too strange of an occurrence for someone so young and inexperienced to deal with. I think that if it happened today I would have just yelled at him to get out. That's my one close encounter, Jack.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Open the door for them, let them in, show them the table and serve your' a&$ up to them! Of course, they like to start by grabbing you by the throat, choking you to death, then drinking you dry of blood. Once that is done, they might eat the rest of you but they tend to not like folks that ask stupid questions.

Frank

nobody was talking to you or about anything you posted frank

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep it friendly and cordial per our rules gentlemen.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sat out one night guarding some equipment, and had a pair with three pups show up. Spent a good 3 or 4 hours herding them from one bush to the other with the spotlight on my truck. Was the only night there that wasn't boring as all get out. Years earlier, there were five of us standing around yacking. All of a sudden we hear a yelp! A coyote had snuck up within 10' of us, grabbed my friends dog & was GONE! So, my rule is if they're 20' away they're entertainment any closer they're a problem. As far as coyotes being acclimated to humans why risk it! If a coyote comes traipsing up to you, there's something wrong!! Rabies, hungry enough to get that close, and take a chance. There was a story a few years ago in Calif. Around Irvine Park or Mission Viejo where a rabid coyote walked up to a lady and being a full fledged yuppy oyu guessed it! Tried to pet the nice doggie.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've taken 3 (coyotes) from my kitchen table eating breakfast Sunday morning....just crack the patio door 6" and send the 22 mag down range 150 yards...let the buzzards clean'em up...even a the crack of a .22 would bring the SWAT team to my front door in my neighborhood ...the coyotes have avoided my food plot for 2 years now for some reason.....BTW.....i love animals....they are delicious....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

this is the post I intended to show, wrong key I guess. all on me frank, my bad

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I was hunting by a remote lake above Cumberland, Maryland and as I made my way through the brush and cat tails, I came across a rough looking couple engaged in coitus that was way more traumatizing than any coyote would be!

jimhenry

Greenie
Sep 9, 2017
Honey Brook, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pinpointer Pro AT, Master Hunter Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shepherd and Bear

Thats one great dog there, Wish I had time to take care of a dog. Always wanted a pitt or shepherd.

Yes she was, may she rest in peace as she passed about a year ago. Full story: we had rented a cabin in Allegheny National Forest in NW PA about 8 years ago. We had just arrived that day, unloaded the car and settled in. My wife and daughter were sitting in a side room enjoying the fireplace while I took a shower. I came out of the bathroom wearing only boxer shorts and bedroom slippers. As I came out my Shepherd started making quiet grunts and nudging me towards the cabin door. As we got close I saw this huge black bear on the front porch trying to roll the trash cans (which were empty). Gina, our Shepherd, immediately leaped through the locked screen door at the bear, I yelled "Oh SH**"!!, turned around and grabbed my loaded .38 Special revolver off the kitchen table, and took off after them across a field as it was about 100 yards to the tree line with my wife and daughter running after us wondering what was going on. If anyone had been watching it would have been pretty comical, me with one hand holding my revolver and the other trying to hold my boxer shorts up as we bounded across the field! Now before anyone says a .38 Special, even loaded with +P HydraShocks, is no gun for a bear, I KNOW THAT, but it was the only one available plus I had no intention of harming the bear just protecting my dog.
Anyway when we caught up, the bear was up the tree, Gina at the base. We brought Gina back to the cabin, end of drama. As to the estimate of the bear's size, it was just that. Its size was at least that of my wife, daughter, and me combined.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yarr me matey, I have an awful addiction that causes me to do stupid things haha. This was a pretty rare occurrence for how often I'm wandering in the woods at night. But I'll risk it all for that next silver or gold, knowing that I may very well one day be torn to shreds. Though with a hand gun I would have almost no worries. Most times a warning shot will scare them off. This is my go to move around the house if yelling doesn't scare them, and I have never had to go beyond it yet to needlessly kill an animal. Plus the only animal I wouldn't hear or smell coming around me is a cougar... In which case your 100 percent correct, a gun would probably be of no use. But they are pretty rare and I'll take those chances. I'll remember you told me so when it happens though!
A shot will scare them off? Second time out camping by my self back when tents were made of canvas. Was about ready to sleep when a bunch of coyotes started talking. We know how a couple will sound like a whole herd. I had a .410 shot gun that I could barely hold up let alone aim with any accuracy & it was 5" taller than me. Fired 3 shots in the air, didn't even phase them! Put the fourth shell in and closed it pinching my finger. I cut loose with swear words a kid my age shouldn't have at the top of my lungs! Instant silence! So, save your ammo & use your voice.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting by a remote lake above Cumberland, Maryland and as I made my way through the brush and cat tails, I came across a rough looking couple engaged in coitus that was way more traumatizing than any coyote would be!
I was wondering why you didn't cut loose a round or two? The expressions on their faces would've gotten you 3,000,000,000 hits on You Tube easy!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread