DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes are very low on my list of worries and we have lots of them among other critters(pictured below, 100 yards from my bedroom window). It is the 2 legged animals that I would carry for. People always talk about how extreme it is to carry a handgun until there is that one time when they wish they had it or the ability to use it.:tongue3:
A big cat.Now that is scary!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really armadillos? what the heck are they doing up that way?
First came the coyotes and the armadillos are following I guess. I also saw a cotton mouth in a beaver dam I was tearing out. We never had them this area of Tn. Lots of rattlers and copperheads but not water moccasins. We are not getting the deep cold winters like we used to but we have a lot more snow and storms which are short lived. Deer population has exploded to the point it is a matter of time before blue tongue runs through the herd. No hogs here yet but will kill every one we see.
Hogs destroyed my bow hunting spot in Watonga,Ok.Last I heard they had helicopter hunts there where you shot them with ar-15's.ak's mp5 pups and such hanging out the window.They said they donated the meat but all I would ever do is pull the loins and back straps and let the rest lay.I think wild hogs taste like crap :tongue3:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
First came the coyotes and the armadillos are following I guess. I also saw a cotton mouth in a beaver dam I was tearing out. We never had them this area of Tn. Lots of rattlers and copperheads but not water moccasins. We are not getting the deep cold winters like we used to but we have a lot more snow and storms which are short lived. Deer population has exploded to the point it is a matter of time before blue tongue runs through the herd. No hogs here yet but will kill every one we see.
Hogs destroyed my bow hunting spot in Watonga,Ok.Last I heard they had helicopter hunts there where you shot them with ar-15's.ak's mp5 pups and such hanging out the window.They said they donated the meat but all I would ever do is pull the loins and back straps and let the rest lay.I think wild hogs taste like crap :tongue3:

Depends on how you cook them and with what! I ate some Wild Boar Roast many years ago that was cooked in a slow-cooker with lots of Garlic...Salt and Black Pepper for about 5 hours, then flipped, treated again with Garlic...Salt and Black Pepper and slow cooked for another 5 hours and it came out great. The Garlic kills much if not all of the Wild taste in Wild Game. You can also use slight amounts of Cumin and Curry when cooking loins and back straps and they come out great and I use it on Deer Steaks and Back straps. Another method of preparing Wild Hog Roasts for cooking which also works for Bear Roasts, is to boil the Roast in water with Garlic, Salt and peeled Apples. Throw the peelings in along with the rest of the Apples and as the Roast boils, the Apples and peelings draw the nasty, greasy fat out (with Bear meat, drain and repeat this step). After boiling the Roast for an hour or so, drain the meat well, transfer to a Roast Pan, season with Garlic, Salt and Pepper and slow cook for at least 5 hours up to 8 hours. Oh and I almost forgot, add potatoes...onions...celery, carrots and sweet peas about an hour before the Roast is done and shazam, you have a great meal.

Frank

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Coywolf? Not happening. Neither are wild dogs and coyotes breeding. Coyotes are just what they always have been. Nothing new or more dangerous than a wild fox and a lot less dangerous than your neighborhood dog.

Great article on the Eastern Coyote, but dogs and coyotes do indeed
cross breed. I've killed many first generation crosses, and in a few
cases there was no doubt about the lineage.

Had one male that was about 2 years old, and he had a perfectly average
coyote build (sharp nose, ears, etc.) but just happened to be mostly colored
like an Irish Setter..

....'twern't no Irish Setter.

Either way, he was responsible for a pile of dead chickens and was summarily
punished for his crime.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of drama here. I've had a face to face with several mountain lions also black and brown bear. I didn't have to shoot or scare any of them - they all left on their own.

I'll have to tell you about my first brown bear hunt, I was ten years old and was tracking the bear up a ridge line alone. My job was to locate the bear and move him down the ridge towards the hunting party. I unexpectedly found myself face to face with the bear and about 30 foot away. We both ran in opposite directions. The bear crapped himself even though he probably weighed 5 times as much as me. I gladly ran away with clean shorts. My dad and his friends laughed about that day for years.

If you are in the habit of riding a mountain bike, dressed in spandex, bent over with your back exposed, moving fast focused on the trail ahead, in a State where lions aren't hunted but are often chummed with human pets and garbage you might reasonably expect to be mistaken for prey by a hungry lion. Kinda like those same folk who like to eat in their tents in bear country. Probably the same folks who poke at beehives with a stick and don't look both ways before crossing a busy highway. It's called natural selection. It's a good thing - embrace the inevitable.

In the United States last year:
40,000 people killed in auto accidents.
More than 15,000 people killed by other people (murdered).
More than 200 people killed by deer.
90 people killed by lightning.
82 killed in hunting accidents.
52 people killed by bee sting.
26 people killed by pet dogs.
1 person killed by a wild bear.
1 person killed by a wild snake.
0 people killed by wild mountain lions.
0 people killed by wild wolves.
0 people killed by wild coyotes.

Like I said - humans are the top predator.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Those are just the successful bears. :tongue3:

Of course it is from wikipedia, so facts vary.

Yeah, I was going to post something similar as well along with human deaths attributed to Mountain Lions and Coyotes. The facts are skewed when you only look at statistics for one year and why add humans killed in auto accidents, by other people, by Deer, by lightning, in hunting accidents, by pet dogs, by snakes and by bee stings when we were mainly discussing predators that can and will kill and eat humans. Twenty people were killed by Bears from 2010 thru June 2017, 9 by Black Bear and 11 by Brown Bear but I believe the Brown Bear totals includes Grizzlies. Three people were killed by Mountain Lions (Cougars) since 2000. Two people have been confirmed killed by Coyotes since 1981 while there have been close to a hundred or more non-fatal attacks reported on humans since 1978, although some were due to people defending their pets. I am sure that the lists are incomplete because quite often, some counties and/or cities do not send reports in to be included in National statistics and also because some attacks are never reported.

Frank

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have many shotguns, I am not lugging one of the around with me. To heavy and cumbersome while detecting
You need a Smith wesson Governor with 2 #6 High Base 2 Disc and ball and 2 Slugs That should cure what ever comes your way. This is my favorite woods gun. Snakes Yotes or Bears. (or undesirables should they approach) Got it covered

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When they scream...

When coyotes make a kill, they scream to let other coyotes know there is food around. When I first bought my house here in Southern Colorado, they used to do it all the time in my back yard. I would sleep with the window open and wake up to a blood curdling scream in the middle of the night.
I have not heard as many lately as more houses have been built and there are a lot more dogs now. Plus all the rabbits are dying from tularemia. The largest pack I have seen is three. They ran across the road in front of me at night while driving. I have never feared being attacked by a coyote. But I could see if I was injured and and laying on the prairie that they just might attack. I have seen one sizing up our horse. I think he realized there was no way he could take down the horse. Even I am somewhat afraid of this horse.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to shoot this guy 7 times,
and I only had 6 bullets. 20170915_002114.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Spot on Clay..:icon_thumright:

If you challenge a coyote, he's gonna run away 99.99% of the time.

Challenge a Grizzly bear, and he's likely to take you up on it and kick
your arse.

I've seen a couple coyotes while I was out prospecting, and what I felt was
the complete opposite of fear...more like... "Cool!"

He was only about 30 yds. away, and when he finally saw me I just
calmly said.."Yo Dude...what's up?". His eyes got about the size of
Peace Dollars, and then there was just a bit of vapor trail left right
where he was standing. :laughing7:

Aside from bears, critters that I would fear if they came up on me? First
would be a cougar, and after that would be a badger. A cougar will usually
run off if you challenge them, but a badger? He don't take crap from anyone!

Caught a huge one in a coyote set up in N. Nevada, but there was just one
problem..I was only permitted for trapping coyotes, meaning I had to get
this extremely unhappy badger (read: pissed off) out of that #3 double
longspring that was securely attached to his back foot. All I had with me was
a snare pole, but getting that around the almost non-existent neck of a badger
was a battle. He kept his body square with mine, and I swear he had fire in his
eyes. I finally got the snare around his neck, and then I stood on the pole, pinning
him to the ground while he called me every name in the book. Took a minute to
get ahold of the trap, got the springs compressed and removed his foot. Took
a good enough look at it to see it was undamaged (offset jaws), but then I had
to turn him loose of the snare pole, meaning he was free and unfettered if he
decided to extract some retribution from me for ruining his evening.

He sat there for a second and got his breath back, gave me a look that came
straight from 'Ol Satan himself, and then he walked off in the other direction,
telling me he wasn't the least bit afraid of me. 8-)

Fear critters that'll kill ya..Grizzly Bears, Moose, Cougar, Hippo's, etc. I'm always
cautious and respectful of wild critters, but tend to look at them more like friends
I haven't met yet.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes? Really? You have a much higher chance of being injured or killed by a deer, honey bee or a domestic dog than being attacked by a coyote. Heck just driving a car is a lot more dangerous than all those animals put together. Coyotes do not hunt humans. Humans kill coyotes, not the other way around.

Coywolf? Not happening. Neither are wild dogs and coyotes breeding. Coyotes are just what they always have been. Nothing new or more dangerous than a wild fox and a lot less dangerous than your neighborhood dog.

If a wild animal threatens you kill it. That simple. More than likely the animal is sick or has been chummed by idiot neighbors feeding the wildlife. If you don't know how to kill a wild animal you probably shouldn't be recreating in the wild alone or at night. Please don't kill wild animals just because you see them, they are not usually a threat. A snake you can walk away from, a bear just wants you gone, a coyote or a mountain lion are curious animals that want to know what you are up to, they don't want to kill you.

Men are the top predator in the food chain. Coyotes, wolves, bears and wild cats know that. If you don't understand that equation it might be best to stick to raising domestic kittens. :laughing7:

Actually they have, they are large and don't act like coyotes you have out west. The evidence of these guys is all over the north east and yes they will hunt you if they have large numbers or are hungry. Why is everyone assuming I have never been in the woods or have no idea what I'm doing? Or that I have no idea when an animal is a threat? Or that Shoot everything I see because I want a handgun? I'm the type of guy you can drop off nearly anywhere with just my knife, and I'de make it out just fine. I agree that 99 percent of the time they leave you alone, Out of many meetings with them in my life this meeting wasn't your typical make noise scare them away. They stood their ground so I removed myself from the situation. Whats so hard to believe that they decided a stationary man intently starring at the ground might be dinner? On another note, I will have you know I raised a feral dumpster cat! No wimpy domesticated kittens here! haha I hear where your coming from though but really, our coyotes out here are not really coyotes anymore.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Coyotes? Really? You have a much higher chance of being injured or killed by a deer, honey bee or a domestic dog than being attacked by a coyote. Heck just driving a car is a lot more dangerous than all those animals put together. Coyotes do not hunt humans. Humans kill coyotes, not the other way around.

If a wild animal threatens you kill it. That simple. More than likely the animal is sick or has been chummed by idiot neighbors feeding the wildlife. If you don't know how to kill a wild animal you probably shouldn't be recreating in the wild alone or at night. Please don't kill wild animals just because you see them, they are not usually a threat. A snake you can walk away from, a bear just wants you gone, a coyote or a mountain lion are curious animals that want to know what you are up to, they don't want to kill you.

Men are the top predator in the food chain. Coyotes, wolves, bears and wild cats know that. If you don't understand that equation it might be best to stick to raising domestic kittens. :laughing7:
Wrong answer.. Here's your kitten.. Coyote-Wolf Hybrids Have Spread Across U.S. East

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone should use education on hunting & animal safety. Animals are just as bipolar as humans.

My 8 year old son just received apprentice hunting. It's a tool for recruitment that provides both youth and adult novice hunters the opportunity to hunt under the supervision of a licensed hunter. Before they have completed their hunter education course. He is a great shot & knows safety first. Love small game hunting. I hope he shoots a huge buck this year, but a doe for meat will just fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread