Thinkin of starting a treasure hunting business/group

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm pretty over everything and everyone at the moment and am looking to start a treasure hunting business/group or whatever you want to call it.

The objective is to construct a database with all the treasure stories and legends we can find and organize them into areas then maybe rank them from most likely to least likely and then decide which ones to go after.

Second Objective is to Research the crap out of the ones we want to go after then organize the expeditions.

Third Objective is...Adventure

Im thinking a small team maybe 3 or 4, One full-time researcher aswell.

I am currently working on funding so looking to do this in the next year or two because i will literally go crazy soon if i have to keep doin the same crap day after day after day, and im seriously cravin some adventure.

Thoughts, Observations, Ideas anyone... Has anyone actually done this? Its just an idea at the moment.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Has anyone actually done this? ....

There is no shortage of md'ing legends, compiled into single sources/books.

... rank them from most likely to least likely ...

The problem is, that becomes subjective. And the typical person to fall for the campfire ghost story legend type "treasure stories" will always rank them iron-clad true. The reason is: No one applies logical scrutiny to the silly "he said she said" stuff. Because no one wants to be "left out". So people put critical thinking aside, when it comes to treasure.

Take for example the oak island nonsense. No matter how deep they dig, it's always "a little more to the right" or a "little more to the left" , or "a little deeper". It's NEVER that it's not actually there. Doh!

OP
OP
mercinarie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
This is why treasure hunting cant be done with normal people, they have to be different, think different, be open-minded and know that their own opinions could be wrong and accept that.

I do not know how we will rank them yet but it should probably be based on facts that we can dig up with research. But opinions will be inevitably involved.

But good thoughts

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that site does a great job of doing what you’re talking about.

OP
OP
mercinarie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
For the first 10,000 (no typo) or so leads, search the submissions "Jeff from Pa" has made to TNet over the last several years.
Don........

I have no doubt i will be getting alot of leads from this place :)

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you thinking of a syndicate style approach to recover treasure or charging the 3 or 4 members to hunt on a 'safari' style organised tour/hunt? It sounds interesting. I always felt that dealers selling detectors are making the most $ in this hobby. Ive sometimes questioned dealers ethics though and thought that they are really selling 'hope' and perhaps arent quite as honest as they could be when realistically talking about finds. Dealer here finds 'at least 60 rings a year'..... every customer of his though that I know find nowhere near that many despite dedicated hours at sensible locations.

Best of luck to you

Chub

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lots of REPORTS and lots of RUMORS, facts? a bit more elusive

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most highly successful high end treasure hunters never say a word.

Partnerships suck... the other partner(s) always think his/her/their worth is more then yours ..unless they are your own spouse. Worst is when you discuss treasure/location and the person listening is not even a partner..

People kill for less...just being a realist.

064546CD-E8F3-4FDA-B133-D8602316023D.jpeg 95BFCF53-5917-4537-8E10-E738C583C526.jpeg
AD3F8BE1-7D04-43F1-9B64-94263423C700.jpeg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the first 10,000 (no typo) or so leads, search the
submissions "Jeff from Pa" has made to TNet over the last several years.
Don........

Chasing down treasure hunting leads is an addiction...... Jeff is a pusher.....:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... be open-minded ...

Re.: my prior post: I think that the BEST hunters will/should be the BIGGEST kill-joys (aka.: close-minded, critical, skeptical, etc...). Because then you limit the wild goose chases to the most merited leads. So it's not the ghost-story legend hunters who are finding goodies. It's the skeptical ones that only chased valid leads, that are the ones finding goodies.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raising money for a new business idea isn’t easy. You will probably have to do the research, come up with some credible leads and specific sites, and then kick in your own cash before you will find many willing to invest . And while doing all that and until you actually succeed on finding something valuable, you need to figure out how you will be covering your own living expenses. But good luck to you.

OP
OP
mercinarie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you thinking of a syndicate style approach to recover treasure or charging the 3 or 4 members to hunt on a 'safari' style organised tour/hunt? It sounds interesting. I always felt that dealers selling detectors are making the most $ in this hobby. Ive sometimes questioned dealers ethics though and thought that they are really selling 'hope' and perhaps arent quite as honest as they could be when realistically talking about finds. Dealer here finds 'at least 60 rings a year'..... every customer of his though that I know find nowhere near that many despite dedicated hours at sensible locations.

Best of luck to you

Chub

Don't know if I can work for investors, would rather put up the money myself.

Haven't really thought much about how a group will work yet other than I don't want to charge people and I probably don't want to work with investors unless I have to I suppose.

Re.: my prior post: I think that the BEST hunters will/should be the BIGGEST kill-joys (aka.: close-minded, critical, skeptical, etc...). Because then you limit the wild goose chases to the most merited leads. So it's not the ghost-story legend hunters who are finding goodies. It's the skeptical ones that only chased valid leads, that are the ones finding goodies.

Very good point maybe the word analytical fits better but i do get where you are coming from.

Most highly successful high end treasure hunters never say a word.

Partnerships suck... the other partner(s) always think his/her/their worth is more then yours ..unless they are your own spouse. Worst is when you discuss treasure/location and the person listening is not even a partner..

People kill for less...just being a realist.

View attachment 1532432 View attachment 1532434
View attachment 1532435

Good input i dont really know how it would work yet but i know i will have to pick the right people and the smaller the group the better.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't know if I can work for investors, would rather put up the money myself.

Haven't really thought much about how a group will work yet other than I don't want to charge people and I probably don't want to work with investors unless I have to I suppose.

Good input i dont really know how it would work yet but i know i will have to pick the right people and the smaller the group the better.

One investor or 100 investors you'll have to listen to how they want you to do anything, your freedom to make your own decisions is now limited. If you want to succeed, save, invest in your own dreams not relying on have somebody else messing with them.

OP
OP
mercinarie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
One investor or 100 investors you'll have to listen to how they want you to do anything, your freedom to make your own decisions is now limited. If you want to succeed, save, invest in your own dreams not relying on have somebody else messing with them.

Yea that's what I was thinking I don't think I could be a treasure hunter and have investors telling me how to do it, kinda defeats the purpose for me.

Unless its a massive expedition maybee

ALso thanks for the link but it doesnt work

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread