Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are times, while swinging a coil in a field or a park, I tend to drift off in my thoughts. Then suddenly I'll hear a beep that gets my attention and snaps me out of my daydreaming. Then and only then, I get down and dig. Beep and Dig Baby,

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are times, while swinging a coil in a field or a park, I tend to drift off in my thoughts. Then suddenly I'll hear a beep that gets my attention and snaps me out of my daydreaming. Then and only then, I get down and dig. Beep and Dig Baby,

Every single lunch break for me!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the best dialogue I have had on here since my introdiction in November. Every single person has made excellent points to their beliefs, even if we are the beep and dig crowd. Even that was productive though. Because he's right in a sense. I am new enough in my passion to still enjoy all of my targets. Even the pull tabs and such. The item is still less important to me than the experience of finding it. Hopefully more can remember what youthful exuberance feels like.

Are you having fun? Learning more each time you dig a target? Throwing the clad you find in a can marked "Minelab Equinox 600 Fund"? What's to worry about? :occasion14::skullflag:

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're having fun, the main aspect of this hobby imho, then to hell with the naysayers, Can! 👍 I have some high-end stuff...but a couple times each season, I fire up the Whites 6/DB I bought back in '80 or '81 and go Beepin' and Diggin'! 😁

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everyone for reminding me why I joined this forum. The point for me with this thread was to vent about my perceived prejudice about certain machines, and the stigma I perceived went with them. For the most part, I am pleasantly surprised to see fun and enjoyment and research are actually still at the top of most people's idea of a real detectorist.
Now it's time to hop off my soap box and go find me some brothel tokens! Or beaver tails. Probably more of the latter than anything.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can_slaw, when I'm at a heavily used public beach, and I get a mid kinda signal, I get the - is this a gold ring idea in my head. Heart pumps a little faster and on occasion I found a gold ring! This year (and it's March) I found gold in the dumbest places - the winter beach, a farm field and my lawn! of all places. It wasn't my ring I found here! Go figure. More in 2018 than from 1965 when I started to 2011 when I found my first gold anything! THAT was a long, dry spell. Lots of years back then I didn't dig though.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can_slaw, when I'm at a heavily used public beach, and I get a mid kinda signal, I get the - is this a gold ring idea in my head. Heart pumps a little faster and on occasion I found a gold ring! This year (and it's March) I found gold in the dumbest places - the winter beach, a farm field and my lawn! of all places. It wasn't my ring I found here! Go figure. More in 2018 than from 1965 when I started to 2011 when I found my first gold anything! THAT was a long, dry spell. Lots of years back then I didn't dig though.

Still looking for my first. Since every post I have read about "gold rings ringing up like a pull tab" plays over and over in my head, every pull tab still makes my heart stop. If that feeling quits, I think that will be it for me in this hobby. I enjoy it too much. That's why I think i prefer my beep and dig machine.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes , they do land in the pull tab range but what you do next is what matters....listen to the sound .don't just use your meter to decide . every detector i use has a language of sound and you should take the time to understand and your finds will multiply . machines with sets of numbers and graphs and different sounds just confuse me ....

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes , they do land in the pull tab range but what you do next is what matters....listen to the sound .don't just use your meter to decide . every detector i use has a language of sound and you should take the time to understand and your finds will multiply . machines with sets of numbers and graphs and different sounds just confuse me ....

I have been trying to this, by first "guessing" what i will pull based on the number and tone combinations. So far i have pull tabs and copper pennies nailed! I have actually found quite a few pewter buttons also, and by the last one i was guessing those correctly too. Can't wait for the gold though, so i can learn that one. Silvers have been elusive for the most part, with only one merc and four 1943-1944 nickles last year, so i know i have a long way to learn on those. It's coming though, and thanks for adding very sound advice!

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No argument here but my curiosity was piqued when you mentioned that your wife can stay home to pursue her dream. Does she operate a home-based business or studying for a degree?
My detector was under $300 and I'm happy with it.

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No argument here but my curiosity was piqued when you mentioned that your wife can stay home to pursue her dream. Does she operate a home-based business or studying for a degree?
My detector was under $300 and I'm happy with it.

She is pursuing a home based business. Cleaning and organizing are her passions, so she is working with clients on in-home organization honing her skill set. So far, so good!

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand you totally! Been around for a long time and see a lot of what you're saying and If I let my ego get triggered, then I react.
But usually I just laugh it off. It's like the little guy who buys a big monster truck.....
If someone brags about their possessions there's often insecurity behind it.
Not to mention a lack of knowledge also. I've seen those real expensive detectors "null" right to sleep, out in my iron infested sites.
They get royally spanked!

You see, there's a small handful of people who truly understand what's going on in the ground.
You'll notice that some here, even though they're using the most expensive detectors, still go and sift their relic sites.
Why are they sifting? Because they know that NO DETECTOR could ever get it all. There's millions of variables in the ground.
I laugh at the ignorance when they boast about their machine after how many times I've gone down to a dump site in the river, and EYE-BALLED more cool metal objects in a few hours than anyone could ever find with a detector all day!
I have no problem with those who bought expensive models and are simply pleased and want to share why they like it.

The age old argument......The detector versus the individual.
Hands down, it's the individual.
You want see innovation? Watch me out in the plowed field dragging a bar full of magnets, filling up pail after pail of iron.
Not only can I get through the masking but I also get some cool iron that one normally wouldn't unearth.

I've had plenty of opportunities to "Upgrade" but why, when I know my machine so well and it has proven it's capabilities time and time again.
The "beep and dig" club are a bunch of hard working, blue-collar folks who get the job done.
I would want to belong to any other club!
:headbang:

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand you totally! Been around for a long time and see a lot of what you're saying and If I let my ego get triggered, then I react.
But usually I just laugh it off. It's like the little guy who buys a big monster truck.....
If someone brags about their possessions there's often insecurity behind it.
Not to mention a lack of knowledge also. I've seen those real expensive detectors "null" right to sleep, out in my iron infested sites.
They get royally spanked!

You see, there's a small handful of people who truly understand what's going on in the ground.
You'll notice that some here, even though they're using the most expensive detectors, still go and sift their relic sites.
Why are they sifting? Because they know that NO DETECTOR could ever get it all. There's millions of variables in the ground.
I laugh at the ignorance when they boast about their machine after how many times I've gone down to a dump site in the river, and EYE-BALLED more cool metal objects in a few hours than anyone could ever find with a detector all day!
I have no problem with those who bought expensive models and are simply pleased and want to share why they like it.

The age old argument......The detector versus the individual.
Hands down, it's the individual.
You want see innovation? Watch me out in the plowed field dragging a bar full of magnets, filling up pail after pail of iron.
Not only can I get through the masking but I also get some cool iron that one normally wouldn't unearth.

I've had plenty of opportunities to "Upgrade" but why, when I know my machine so well and it has proven it's capabilities time and time again.
The "beep and dig" club are a bunch of hard working, blue-collar folks who get the job done.
I would want to belong to any other club!
:headbang:

I wish i could like this post twice.
I am not one of those people yet who understands all of the nuances going on underground, but i am reading all of the posts i can on here to broaden my knowledge base. The magnet idea is intriguing, and would love to see a pic of what you have devised, if you would be willing of course.
And I also have zero issue with anyone else's machine, they all seem to find some rare and gorgeous items. And most everyone on T Net seems really competent with their different machines. I just wanted to bring to light the people with a seemingly lesser machine can be just as competent, and find the same types of items. Not at the depths, i will concede to that, but still have a blast and fill their bags with the good stuff.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've struck out more times with my AT Pro than I ever did with my Ace 250. Why? Because I'm running out of good spots. It gets harder and harder to find untouched locations. Spending 2k on a metal detector isn't going to help you find jack squat if you can't find the good spots.

Even with all my failures, I find more 1700's coins and relics than most of the 2k detector guys. And ALL my 1700's finds have been on public land within 20 miles of my home. You have to be willing to walk deep into the woods to locate the good stuff. This isn't a hobby for lazy or uninitiated people and throwing money around won't get you to the good spots. Hard work, research and ambition is the way to do it...

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've struck out more times with my AT Pro than I ever did with my Ace 250. Why? Because I'm running out of good spots. It gets harder and harder to find untouched locations. Spending 2k on a metal detector isn't going to help you find jack squat if you can't find the good spots.

Even with all my failures, I find more 1700's coins and relics than most of the 2k detector guys. And ALL my 1700's finds have been on public land within 20 miles of my home. You have to be willing to walk deep into the woods to locate the good stuff. This isn't a hobby for lazy or uninitiated people and throwing money around won't get you to the good spots. Hard work, research and ambition is the way to do it...

very true. very very true. Thank you for the words of wisdom. Next on my list of research spots is the library. I have located some very early plat books from my area deep within the confines of our local microfiche storage area. There is a detecting channel on YT that i love to watch. He scours the Vermont wilderness in search of old cellar holes, and they seem to produce exactly how you just described. Good luck in your future explorations for sure.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's prejudice on both ends of the high-dollar / low-dollar detector scale.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't let other people get you down, if you like the machine and you are having a good time, then don't worry about it.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a proud member of the beep & dig club, i'm in it for the fun...that and its cheaper than a therapist.

The detector we use is an individual choice for many reasons, just like the places we hunt and the things we hunt for.
This is one hobby where we pretty much are all on equal footing to an extent. No matter what machine we are using, if it's not there you are not going to find it.
We pretty much get out of this hobby what we put into it, in time and effort. Then when you throw luck into it anything can be found by anybody, any time.
I don't know about yours but i haven't convinced my detector to go out by its self and bring home the treasure....it refuses.
On the bright side, it hasn't called me stupid yet either. [emoji4]
It's all about the fun & thrill of finding...stuff. And i think it makes us better people.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Msbeepbeep, yes it is less expensive than a therapist.

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it if someone thinks I should be using a more expensive detector they can buy it for me. [emoji854]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread