Advice on first metal detector purchase please..

KMGMO

Greenie
Nov 16, 2017
MO
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After using a borrowed detector for 6 months now, I've decided it's time to buy one. My primary interest is finding coins. I'd like to stay under $300 and am not opposed to used equipment. I'm tired of researching and still being indecisive so any advice is appreciated!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia. Second, I guess I would ask what machine were you borrowing, did you like it and can you afford it? I know I have said this a lot but detectors are like golf clubs and cars, we all have our favorites. Terry Soloman recommended a nice beginner detector for my granddaughter the Tesoro Compadre and she loves it for coin shooting. I have a Garret 300 that works great for that, there are plenty that fit your price range. My primary machine is the AT PRO and it is a great machine but is outside your price limit. I'm pretty much a Garrett guy so I would vote for the 350.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia. Second, I guess I would ask what machine were you borrowing, did you like it and can you afford it? I know I have said this a lot but detectors are like golf clubs and cars, we all have our favorites. Terry Soloman recommended a nice beginner detector for my granddaughter the Tesoro Compadre and she loves it for coin shooting. I have a Garret 300 that works great for that, there are plenty that fit your price range. My primary machine is the AT PRO and it is a great machine but is outside your price limit. I'm pretty much a Garrett guy so I would vote for the 350.

Agreed on the Garrett Ace series. For the money, they really work well.

OP
OP
K

KMGMO

Greenie
Nov 16, 2017
MO
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I don't remember the brand or model, I have to look when I get home but I couldn't imagine it was much over $100. It has very basic controls, simple depth and size indicator and feels cheap. It does find coins down to 8" but I'm having a hard time discriminating. All I know is I'm hooked on detecting and want to step it up lol

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the main US manufacturers make good machines in your budget. These manufactures are Whites, Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro, Teknetics, & Bounty Hunter.

You need to ask your self a few questions.

Do you just want to be a beep and dig guy?

Do you want to see target ID numbers on the display or are target segments okay?

Do you want to have multiple tones or a single tone where you need to listen to the nuances?

What type of coil is best for you? I prefer DD coils over concentric coils.

Are you already familiar with the target ID's on the machine you've been borrowing? If yes, you might want to stick with that brand.

You will want to get a good pin pointer also. I like mine to have a range of 2 to 3 inches. They are not a necessity, I hunted my 1st 6 months without one, but will never go hunting again without one. It really helps in reducing the target retrieval time which in turn leads to more targets dug per hunt.

Good Luck on whatever you choose.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the great state of Connecticut. All the members have great comments. Good hunting and good luck.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, pretty much what Loco-Digger said already. Save some money for a good pin pointer I would not be happy if I left mine home. A close second is the Lesche last digging tool you will buy.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go big or go home. There are some really good detectors out there. There are some really good copys too. I opened up my American detector one day to re attached a battery wire. Inside it said assembled in Mexico. But it was a good detector and I would rather know what I have than someone just outright copying and not giving credit. Your question is the most often asked and Im sure many will chip in as my friend above has done. To get the full experience of metal detecting you will want to arm yourself with some basics that go beyond the detector. I post this for any new folks getting into the hobby as you have 6 months under your belt already. My feelings is not to buy used except in accessory. Most detectors do what they are supposed to. I own three and they all work, imagine that. Now the bad news, 6 months after you buy the best of the best sir it becomes outdated. With some of the new and re branded old detectors out there I have lost thousands of dollars in equity in my equipment. For your price range I would suggest you reward the manufacturers with buying one of the many detectors someone spent upwards a grand on and now will let go for your budget.

No machine does it all. But detectors all work with the same limitations. Detectors will locate coin sized targets so your not going to get burned no matter what you get. Gold machines will find small gold but too sensitive for general coin hunting. So using a comparison chart like Kellyco has may help you see what your missing. I also would suggest to read the owners manual to get a good idea before you buy. Now for a little more budget you can get the best of the best sir now being offered. Im no longer a paid subscriber here so I can not recommend a brand. I will fix that shortly and get my subscription paid up. As for the best of the best sir as my wife likes to quote every time I say the word detector, well Im looking at them myself.

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After using a borrowed detector for 6 months now, I've decided it's time to buy one. My primary interest is finding coins. I'd like to stay under $300 and am not opposed to used equipment. I'm tired of researching and still being indecisive so any advice is appreciated!

Look at the Tesoro uSileverMax. Should be under $200 new. Bought one for my kids. Light easy to use not a lot of bells and whistles. You will quickly tell by the tones what is junk vs a coin. The best thing it actually has decent depth. Tesoro is an American company and makes decent machines.

In all reality pick any designed for coin shooting in your range will work well.

OP
OP
K

KMGMO

Greenie
Nov 16, 2017
MO
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one I'm borrowing is a Bounty Hunter Landstar. Which I just learned is more expensive than I assumed. I guess I'm expecting more

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one I'm borrowing is a Bounty Hunter Landstar. Which I just learned is more expensive than I assumed. I guess I'm expecting more

Watch craigslist for sale ads for the term "Metal Detector" I have bought many at half price or lower since some people buy new and then realize the hobby is not for them and sell them cheap. Until you find the deal, keep borrowing the BH machine.

My best craigslist detector find was when I bought a machine that retails for about $700 and only paid $75 for it. I take 5 to 10 minutes a day looking for detector deals. You'll never find them if you don't stay vigilant. I ended up selling the machine for $225 which was still a great deal for the new owner and I left meat on the bone just in case he wanted to sell it. Once I paid $400 for a machine that was 6 months old and was only used for maybe 20 hours that retailed for $1,199. The deals are out there.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to the forum. For your first machine check out the reviews on the White Coin Master. It's fairly priced and has led most if not all reviews for the best machine for the money. Side note: I am not a dealer, distributor or work for White. I own another brand but a friend that weekend hunts has that machine and he is very happy with it. Good luck.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Three of those mentioned machines are made by the same company. First Texas. Yee Haw.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome! Myth#1 you need an expensive machine. No, you don't. You need a machine that is operational, there are a lot of machines, especially used ones you can get for $300. My favorite would be a Tesoro Cibola. I have had one for 8 years now. It is very capable. Check out Ebay for a used one. Some of the Garretts and other Tesoro models are very good also. I can't comment on some other brands in the same price range as I haven't used them. I had a White's a long time ago but don't know their product line these days.

Myth #2 You need all the gear to go with the detector. No, you don't. For years and years and years and even more years I used a WWII army shovel my dad had brought back from the war. It did great. The little camping shovels at places like Walmart work well also. When I got into deep woods sites I started using a full sized garden shovel, and I still do. You can't do that in a lawn, but on private property with permission in the woods, it works well. I also used a Buck Knife for a long time. I finally broke it. Pinpointer: No, don't need one at all. I detected for over 30 years before I got one. Before I bought my first one I would hold a handful of dirt up to the loop when I thought I had the target and when the machine beeped I checked my hand and retrieved the item, and I still use this method. I tend to temporarily lose my two pinpointers constantly. Carry bag: Why bother? I shove the machine in the truck and take off. Time wasted putting the machine in and out of the bag and sometimes my machines look like they were in WWII in the mud! Knee pads: No. Carry belt, I got one from the hunting store 25 years ago and still have it - somewhere.

You don't have to go nuts and get everything out there. Check out reviews and videos, be careful of videos, they can be made to show exactly what the video producer wants you to see. If there is a dealer anywhere near you, you might check them out for their recommendations.

Good luck and happy hunting. It is addictive. I ought to know.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loco Digger is right!

Craigslist is a wonderful place to find used metal detectors. I found a just about new Minelab 705 (two coils) for $ 225 dollars and a Whites V3i (used once or twice tops) for $ 485 dollars. The deals are out there!

With the new detectors by Minelab (Eqiunox 600 & 800), many used models from other manufacturers will be on Craigslist, Ebay or in yard sales...keep your eyes open.

GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions