Phony treasure hunters

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish people could just say they didn't find something if in fact they didn't, I just don't see the need for praise from anybody for what you find. I just like to see what people are finding, I sure don't like to see nickels that look like they were just minted that claim to be dug or big treasures that claim to be found but really not. HH

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that on youtube. Then I change the channel.

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a buddy sending me pics of his 'finds'.....just lots of clad....mindless. Then jewelery... then it seemed to be every pulltab etc...I ended up blocking him. Sharing is one thing . Constantly seeking praise for $1.05 in clad....thats something else. Even the dealer here (mutual friend) commented on the vast ammount of clad this guy was finding .I understand, you're not supposed to doubt peoples finds. I respect that. However, we all have built in BS meters- intuition.

I would often find clad or costume rings and deem it not worthy of sharing...sort of the equivilant of not finding anything. Each to their own I guess.

Chub

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see lots of youtube crap out there. The sad thing is, most people don't know its crap. Kinda like a cop watching a cop show or a doctor watching a doctor show. Unfortunately, here on T-net we can't call people out. At least on youtube we have the opportunity to call it like we see it. Unless, of course, they disable comments.

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why call them out? Let them be happy with what they do or don't really find. It doesn't impact on you does it? Let them have their face and you can go on knowing what is really what... only thing that happens when you call someone on their claims is a defensive reaction and the buildup of dislike for the one who brought the reaction about. Just go to the next video or post and let it lay where it falls.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see lots of youtube crap out there. The sad thing is, most people don't know its crap. Kinda like a cop watching a cop show or a doctor watching a doctor show. Unfortunately, here on T-net we can't call people out. At least on youtube we have the opportunity to call it like we see it. Unless, of course, they disable comments.

Your correct, you cant attack people just because you disagree with them.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why call them out? Let them be happy with what they do or don't really find. It doesn't impact on you does it? ....

Yeah, I think it does.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to live in a world where people feel the need to have their ego stroked for things they did not accomplish. I don't want to offer positive reinforcement for negative behavior.

Forget about them saving face, do them and everyone else a favor and call them out. Some people need to grow up, i say give them the opportunity.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I think it does.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to live in a world where people feel the need to have their ego stroked for things they did not accomplish. I don't want to offer positive reinforcement for negative behavior.

Forget about them saving face, do them and everyone else a favor and call them out. Some people need to grow up, i say give them the opportunity.

Calling "them" out here can cause members to lose posting privileges, we have made it very clear if a member has an issue with a find posted they contact a mod or report it, you do not attack members finds on open forums.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally don't share any clad I find, because I don't like to read about it from others. We all find clad on the ground every week, so digging it up isn't anything special, although it beats bottle caps...
I do the the TNet policy is a good one, because some people are quick to judge what they don't know for certain. Some fakes are easy to spot, but letting the moderator handle the judgment allows us to stay a positive community. TNet for me would deteriorate fast if it turned into the smack talk most other sites tolerate.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Treasure Hunter, I get that its a private forum and the owner(s) want to use their discretion in such matters, through the owner's own moderators, rather than have members arguing over some drama.

But, as a matter of principle, I don't want to add positive reinforcement to a lie. That's all.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calling "them" out here can cause members to lose posting privileges, we have made it very clear if a member has an issue with a find posted they contact a mod or report it, you do not attack members finds on open forums.

I understand. Treasurenet is not a democracy. Its a private owned company and has its own set of rules. But, discussing rules is not a bad thing. Rules can be changed and modified for the betterment of the community. Just pointing out some differences between here and there.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I have all the drama here at the house with 3 acres, 5 cats and 3 chickens and bobcats and mountain lions running around outside.

I detect to get rid of drama. I watch funny animals on youtube mainly.

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally don't share any clad I find, because I don't like to read about it from others. We all find clad on the ground every week, so digging it up isn't anything special, although it beats bottle caps...
I do the the TNet policy is a good one, because some people are quick to judge what they don't know for certain. Some fakes are easy to spot, but letting the moderator handle the judgment allows us to stay a positive community. TNet for me would deteriorate fast if it turned into the smack talk most other sites tolerate.

Hey Javadroid... remember the first time you found something in the ground that wasn't a pulltab or wad of foil or something? Even if it's just a 90's dime or something... didn't you feel excited and want to tell someone that you actually FOUND something!!? I get what you guys are pointing to... folks who pad their records with crap or just out and lie... I don't see the need to call them on it as honestly I'm not really concerned how many of anything they find... just as long as they leave something for me. But the new to the hobby deserve to be encouraged even if it's just something of a minor nature because we need to keep steam running and if all you get when you tell someone proudly of your find is... "that's nice... got a hundred of them myself" then really... you're just being a dick and I'm pretty sure you don't want dicks on this board anymore than you want frauds.

Encourage the new folks to keep striving... spin tales of your first silver coin... your first bit of shiny bling (after you cleaned the crud off) and take notice of the fact that they're out there trying to further the hobby in their own way.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mikebourgeois, I gotcha. I remember the first silver quarter I ever found, I can still see the picture in my head.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand. Treasurenet is not a democracy. Its a private owned company and has its own set of rules. But, discussing rules is not a bad thing. Rules can be changed and modified for the betterment of the community. Just pointing out some differences between here and there.

My post was not meant as a warning to you in any way, I posted my comments because we constantly have new members joining and we do not want them to read thread and think it is okay to attack someone's find or post. Our rules on calling someone out or attacking someone want be changing under our current owners I assure you.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time I even bother to count clad and modern pennies is when competing with my wife - who likes to find more shark teeth than I do, so we do compete with each other in a silly way but really, finding clad to me just means I am hunting the wrong area and its time to find a better spot.

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP, Any dig can be faked. Any Youtube video of a dig can be seeded and faked. Why let this bother you? Honestly I think you need a break from detecting. Your stressed or just lost the excitement of digging and its now become a chore. People post finds in this forum... because well ... to them its still "special"and they want to share it with someone who loves detecting as much as they do.
If the object dug looks too shiny .. ever thought about the possibility maybe their soil is low mineralized or they have a better method of cleaning it than you do ? Point I'm trying to make is life is to short to worry about the "little" stuff.
-Dig it ?

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glenn3721, I'm with you. I watch some of the over acting on youtube, chuckle at a few, like some others, but except for the obvious plants, don't really care too much about them. When I get bored with the antics, I watch the funny squirrels and such.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You find cheaters everywhere. It's their character flaw not ours. Be true to you and sleep well at night.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My rule #1 It's their house, their rules. Until I start paying the server bills etc. and doing the maintenance. I am a guest in their house. I'm entitled to nothing. And I'm glad they afford this grumpy old coot the opportunity to hang out here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread