SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emotions are largely involuntary (they are based on biological processes), people generally don't choose to be happy or sad. But, yes, they are responsible for the choices they makes, regardless of how those choices make them feel.

Some people have a strong desire to be a part of "Team Success" (well, actually, who doesn't?) and they see folks posting all sorts of cool finds and getting kudos in response. When I think of Phony Treasure Hunters, I think of the people who chase fake treasures, following fake markers, using fake locators. They have immersed themselves in a fabricated world which, to an outsider, is more glaringly obvious than a faked find. Like the detectorist who fakes a find, I think these folks have a "Need to Succeed," they've just elevated it to the highest levels. I call them "Big Time Treasure Hunters" because that's what they are pretending to be, sort of an Indiana Jones.

While they fabricate all sorts of make-believe, they generally don't fabricate an actual treasure recovery so in the end it's seemingly harmless, like an 8-year-old who's pretending to be a treasure hunter. The downside is that many have written books based on their make-believe, and a few have ended up on TV shows, and these can lead other people into a delusionary treasure hunt. I know of a couple of people who spent every dime they had chasing imaginary treasure.

Well put Carl!!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta disagree.

Emotions are largely involuntary (they are based on biological processes), people generally don't choose to be happy or sad. But, yes, they are responsible for the choices they makes, regardless of how those choices make them feel.

I think that people choose their emotions, though not always on a conscious level. It all come down to what a person chooses to believe.

One can change their emotions by changing their perspective.

For instance, say your favorite dog dies. You could be sad focusing on the loss, or you could be happy accepting that dogs don't live forever while focusing on the good times. Mixed emotions right? But, where you focus your perspective, and which perspective you value most are your choice. Nobody else is making the choices for anyone but themselves , even if one does not recognize that they as making choices.

In the case of the phony treasure hunter, perhaps they have chosen to believe that they have something to gain by lying, or that fame or popularity are more valuable than honesty- A poor choice and a choice with consequences that impact other people.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are phoneys in every sport. YouTube brings out the worst of them. When I used to make detecting videos, there were only about 20 others doing it. Now it seems like everyone and their mothers (literally) make videos. I stick with the same few peeps I used to watch and get on TNET. I really only watch the videos to see what finds are in their areas and its always nice to relate to an emotion they have finding something.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that people choose their emotions, though not always on a conscious level. It all come down to what a person chooses to believe.

Choosing to believe something is not the same as choosing an emotional response. Tell a person who is inclined to panic attacks to simply choose not to have them. Ain't that simple.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might not be simple but it ain't too difficult either.

Why is a person inclined to panic?

All you need to ask is how come that specific emotional response was chosen. I don't believe that specific emotions can be assigned to specific situations.

Ever seen somebody panic over something that did not happen, but they believed that it did? :laughing7:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I dig a gold object, I experience emotions of euphoria. I am high and dizzy with endorphins flooding every cell of my body. Then, I look closer and find its another Crap gold filled or gold plated object. Nothing like dealing with the 5 stages of grief in 60 seconds! Gotta love this hobby!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I dig a gold object, I experience emotions of euphoria. I am high and dizzy with endorphins flooding every cell of my body. Then, I look closer and find its another Crap gold filled or gold plated object. Nothing like dealing with the 5 stages of grief in 60 seconds! Gotta love this hobby!

Yes, there is a certain reward that many people receive when they ACTUALLY find treasure, then share it with friends. Equally important is the story of the search.

Some receive or anticipate receiving monetary compensation for a “good story” salted with a healthy helping of BS. Be it from a YouTube account, Facebook adds, or reality TV. The difference is that one uses click bait terms like “buried treasure found”, and the other simply shares their adventures. Blows my mind how many people make money from stupid click bait messages when there are so many people out there with truly amazing true stories.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally love the suspense of a find. Since many of my hunts are in the evening and end with darkness..there are numerous occasions where I tuck a find in a pocket, drive home and not look until later...most of the time it ends with a huge letdown. But it’s kind of like a scratcher ticket.
Once I thought it could be gold coin...ended up being gold colored modern coin!!

Or maybe it turns out to be a big chunk of clay covered lead instead of a gold nugget.

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And just what exactly would those mental health issues be? Thanks.

Wait a minute, are you a mental health professional? I wouldn't want some layman to look like a donkey bum talking a load of donkey stuff.:laughing7:

Lack of self esteem or self confidence
Unhappiness with themselves or their lives
Trauma
Difficult situations such as financial duress, job loss, health issues etc.
Jealousy or envy of others
Difficulty communicating
Narcissism

When someone exhibits destructive, mean or otherwise uncaring behavior, they are usually acting out from something going on with them, not with you. They may say it is about you - YOU PLANTED THAT COIN !... but the reality is that people who manifest these negative behaviors are showing an outward display of inward pain...... by no means am I an expert , I've only been studying psychology for 14 years . I can't help but notice my comment bothered you .. so I apologize .. This session was for free.. next time I'm sending you a bill..lol

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never called you out or anybody just stating facts that some people lie and fake things, so who would be a donkey bum here?

My comment was an example of how pointless it is to be bothered by meaningless things. Meaningless things that have no real effect on your life, for instance my comment clearly bothered you. It was not directed at you or anyone else.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, just have fun with the hobby. It never pays to get overly excited or depressed over what somebody else said or did.

All our stuff will one day go back in the ground, that's just how it is. Case in point, when I was about 20 I found my first Indian ax made of granite. I still have it. It looked kind of funny to me so I took it to the archaeology club for a look see.

They rightly determined out it started out as a full groove ax that had been broken and discarded. Centuries later, another native came along and salvaged it into a 3/4 groove ax. It freaked out our archaeology club president all those years ago.

Now the second native discarded it and a thousand or more years later I found it.

It's all stuff. Just have fun and enjoy it while you can. The archaeology club president has now passed on as has my mom who took me there to begin with.

Perspective is needed.

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyway, this post has been very entertaining and educational so thank you to everyone.. also I would like to apologize to whom ever I have upset.. as this was not my intention , it's all in good fun here on the forums...HH

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But what if my life's sad enough that I have to call them out to make me feel superior?? WHAT ABOUT MY FEELINGS??

:icon_scratch: :dontknow::laughing7:
Remember! You were put on this earth to impress two people. Your god & yourself, That simple. Everyone these days seems to have an opinion on everything. Our opinions only matter to us. Don't like how I look or dress? Simple, turn around. Problem solved! Can silver as nice as this be dug in quantity? Heck yes! Back before TNet was in existence I dug pounds of wheats & silvers from a strip of grass 10' by 15 or 20'. If I posted them up myself and the rest of you would be calling foul. Now, with the back story. I was searching a patch under a second story balcony. The guys girlfriend chucked his stuff over the edge like 4 months earlier. So without the backstory we'd all be calling me bogus. So, do my opinions matter to anyone but me? Heck no! Am I entitled to force my opinions on anyone else? Heck no. Sorry don't feel that entitled...............

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In spend most of my time being responsible for myself, therefore, I don't have the time to get hung about other people being phony. The only thing that bothers me is phony food. Have you ever tried to eat that phony cheese? Looks and feels like plastic. If I wanted to eat that, there are plenty of my grandkids plastic toys laying all over the floor. They even smell better than that dang phony cheese, wouldn't you agree?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lack of self esteem or self confidence
Unhappiness with themselves or their lives
Trauma
Difficult situations such as financial duress, job loss, health issues etc.
Jealousy or envy of others
Difficulty communicating
Narcissism

When someone exhibits destructive, mean or otherwise uncaring behavior, they are usually acting out from something going on with them, not with you. They may say it is about you - YOU PLANTED THAT COIN !... but the reality is that people who manifest these negative behaviors are showing an outward display of inward pain...... by no means am I an expert , I've only been studying psychology for 14 years . I can't help but notice my comment bothered you .. so I apologize .. This session was for free.. next time I'm sending you a bill..lol

You bothered me? I am unaware of that. Can you explain how and why you choose to believe that I am "bothered"?

Like I stated earlier- Behavior and how it relates to belief is one of my favorite subjects. Perhaps you are the one that is bothered?

Studying for 14 years and he wants to send me a bill, huh? 14 years of study is nothing- I been a patient for 20. :laughing7:

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's quite simple you see , my comment was not directed towards you but yet you felt the need to reply in a defensive manner. This would suggest that one was bothered in some way shape or form by the word structure. However one could easily e misunderstood, and their message taken out of context. So I admit I could be wrong however intuition and some of your previous posts would lead me to believe you were slightly bothered in some way shape or form. Most if not all would agree , even if 100% of people agreed this would still not make me correct , it is just the most likely scenario. Just to be clear I'm not trying to belittle you, you asked a question and I gave you an answer.. that'll be $20 for one minute of my time ..thank you lol

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyway, this post has been very entertaining and educational so thank you to everyone.. also I would like to apologize to whom ever I have upset.. as this was not my intention , it's all in good fun here on the forums...HH

Cool, you did not bother me any, and I was not part of this thread but since you are feeling so kind, I sure you use a foot rub if you dont mind.

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure you use a foot rub if you dont mind.[/QUOTE]

Are you trying to say you would like a foot rub from another man ?. Sorry I don't fly the rainbow flag .. may I suggest a local gay bar :occasion14:

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[QUOTE="Silversurfer1111]Well it's quite simple you see , my comment was not directed towards you but yet you felt the need to reply in a defensive manner. [/QUOTE]

Oh. :

I thought it was directed at me. You quoted me and then refered to "you". I was mistaken.

So to whom were you referring to when you said you?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's quite simple you see , my comment was not directed towards you but yet you felt the need to reply in a defensive manner. This would suggest that one was bothered in some way shape or form by the word structure. However one could easily e misunderstood, and their message taken out of context. So I admit I could be wrong however intuition and some of your previous posts would lead me to believe you were slightly bothered in some way shape or form. Most if not all would agree , even if 100% of people agreed this would still not make me correct , it is just the most likely scenario. Just to be clear I'm not trying to belittle you, you asked a question and I gave you an answer.. that'll be $20 for one minute of my time ..thank you lol

Nice.

Who's being defensive? Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread