Gold Coins

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COME ON 175 views NOT one clue as to where to look. Am not asking for locations just types of locations PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only clue out there that would suggest anything, is dig everything ... A gold coin would only be where People once were, someone had a gold coin, it then fell and nobody else saw it until the day dug. No secret to it, just like finding a penny. Needs to be dropped before it can be found.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bquamb, surely there must be ways to increase your odds?

Don't you think your chances might be greater if your detecting in an area where gold coins were used in everyday normal transactions..during a period when the mintage numbers skyrocketed compared to earlier years.

In the US, they have been out of circulation for 86 years..so detecting locations only active between 1934 to present would probably be less productive?

I wish there WAS a recipe.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any site on the east coast active in the 1850s through Civil War is gonna be your best chance for a gold coin. A lot of gold dollars circulated then and they are tiny so easily lost. Any other size gold coin found on the east coast is purely by chance and was not a coin that was changing hands often if at all. Most likely was used as jewelry or carried as a memento

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need a sock detector

A dog. If you don't already have one, there are some available for adoption at your local animal shelter. Unconditional love is a bonus.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dog. If you don't already have one, there are some available for adoption at your local animal shelter. Unconditional love is a bonus.

Funny you say that..I ran across a news paper story where some kids were out hunting with their dog..it dug up buried stocks/bonds and some currency that had been rumored to have been lost due to an unexpected death.
I don't think it was buried in a sock.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been to the coin guy. he says there is nothing of importance, everything has been slightly circulated. no real values beyond melt value. not worth having graded. he said today they would bring 14 to 15 thousand in total. which I am very happy with. hopefully by the time I kick the bucket they will be worth more for my girls.. lol. still proud to have found them , that is the real treasure. sometimes good enough is great...thanks everybody
Completely Not true. I would very happily pay you melt and Make a sizable margin. Have them looked at by a reputable auction house like ha.com They will give you a straight story and would be happy to sell them for you. Great score and proof that we have not found it all :)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL my socks would not be hard to find My better 7/8s put some odor eaters in my shoes they dissapeared

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't you think your chances might be greater if your detecting in an area where gold coins were used in everyday normal transactions..during a period when the mintage numbers skyrocketed compared to earlier years.

In the US, they have been out of circulation for 86 years..so detecting locations only active between 1934 to present would probably be less productive?

Gold coins have never been "used in everyday normal transactions". They would be like $500 bills. Yes, they were printed, and legal tender, and usable, but they were just to valuable for the average person, and those that did have them didnt treat them like modern coins get treated. Look at what people were paid back then. Average laborer was paid $1 - $2 a day, or even less. Would you carry an entire weeks paycheck around in your pocket when it was the size of a quarter? People really hated the $1 gold coins because they so tiny that they were far too easy to lose.

Best bet to find gold coins is to look at the convergence of contributors. Look at where lots of people spent time, wealthy enough to have gold coins, and late enough in the minting of gold so that the average pay made gold coins "accessible".

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tommy, That's coming out in the next Minelab. Coin & Jewelry, Relic and Sock Detector!

Sadly, the Cygnus associates have been sworn to secrecy and there is no word if that new machine was have this capability. A dog is still your best bet - and saves the batteries...

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold coins have never been "used in everyday normal transactions". They would be like $500 bills. Yes, they were printed, and legal tender, and usable, but they were just to valuable for the average person, and those that did have them didnt treat them like modern coins get treated. Look at what people were paid back then. Average laborer was paid $1 - $2 a day, or even less.

This is true back east. However during the few short years of the California Gold Rush..extreme inflation was the norm. This was true with nearly every gold rush across the world.

People actually WOULD carry large sums of money on their person.
Money belts and vests were used although I'm not sure how common it was.

63421F2E-24EE-4703-BD61-3EA35C87641D.jpeg
It varied widely from region to region depending on supply and demand, but

A pan and shovel would cost you $44..milk $12/gallon...butter $20/pound..Eggs $3/EA.
At one point salt was more expensive than gold.
People would buy months worth of provisions at a time due to the sporadic pack train shipments.

These high prices only lasted a couple years.

Ive got a good book in my library that documents the cost of goods and services during that time period.

I find it interesting to try to put myself into their shoes.

Raw gold was probably most common, but minted coin had the highest buying power and was also commonly used.

I'm not saying gold coins were lost frequently as clad pocket change is today. However it was how things were paid for and logic says there is a higher chance finding one if you are detecting an area which was active during that time period. At least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself ;)

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is true back east. However during the few short years of the California Gold Rush..extreme inflation was the norm. This was true with nearly every gold rush across the world.

Ah, well you didnt say where to find gold-rush era gold coins in the gold rush regions of california. My response was for a general method across the country.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason - See post #15

I think hyper inflation occurred during every gold rush.

Per Wiki - this is where I think your best chances are..gold was the primary form of currency in these areas I'm sure (during those eras).

Rushes of the 1690s:
Brazilian Gold Rush, Minas Gerais (1695)[11]

Rushes of the 1790s:
Carolina Gold Rush, Cabarrus County, North Carolina, US (1799)[4]

Rushes of the 1820s:
Georgia Gold Rush, Georgia, US (1828)

Rushes of the 1840s:
California Gold Rush (1848–55)
Siberian Gold Rush, Siberia, Russian Empire

Rushes of the 1850s:
Queen Charlottes Gold Rush, British Columbia, Canada (1850); the first of many British Columbia gold rushes
Northern Nevada Gold Rush (1850–1934)[clarification needed]
Victorian gold rush, Victoria, Australia (1851–late 1860s). Also known as the Golden Triangle, incorporated areas such as Ararat, Castlemaine, Marybororgh, Clunes, Bendigo, Ballarat, Daylesford, Beechworth, Eldorado.
Kern River Gold Rush, California (1853–58)
Idaho Gold Rush, also known as the Fort Colville Gold Rush, near Colville, Washington (1855)
Gila Placers Rush, New Mexico Territory (Arizona) (1858–59)
Fraser Canyon Gold Rush, British Columbia (1858–61)
Rock Creek Gold Rush, British Columbia (1859–1860s)[clarification needed]
Pike's Peak Gold Rush, Pikes Peak, Kansas Territory (present-day Colorado) (1859)

Rushes of the 1860s:
Holcomb Valley Gold Rush, California (1860–61)
Clearwater Gold Rush, Idaho (1860)
Central Otago Gold Rush, New Zealand (1861)
Eldorado Canyon Rush, New Mexico Territory (Nevada), (1861)
Colorado River Gold Rush, Arizona Territory (1862–64)
Boise Basin Gold Rush, Idaho (1862)
Cariboo Gold Rush, British Columbia (1862–65)
Montana Gold Rush, including Bannack, Virginia City (Alder Gulch), Helena (Last Chance Gulch), and Confederate Gulch, Idaho (1862–1864) and Montana (1864–1869)[12]
Stikine Gold Rush, British Columbia (1863)
Owyhee Gold Rush, Southeastern Oregon, Southwestern Idaho (1863)
Owens Valley Rush, Owens Valley, California (1863–64)
Leech River, Leechtown Gold Rush, Vancouver Island (1864–65)
West Coast Gold Rush, South Island, New Zealand (1864–67)
Big Bend Gold Rush, British Columbia (1865—66)
Francistown Gold Rush, British Protectorate of Bechuanaland (1867)[13]
Omineca Gold Rush, British Columbia (1869)
Wild Horse Creek Gold Rush, British Columbia (1860s),[clarification needed]
Eastern Oregon Gold Rush (1860s–1870s)[clarification needed]
Kildonan Gold Rush, Sutherland, Scotland (1869)[14]

Rushes of the 1870s:
Lapland gold rush, Finland, 1870
El Callao Gold Rush, Venezuela, 1871
Cassiar Gold Rush, British Columbia, 1871
Palmer River Gold Rush, Palmer River, Queensland, Australia (1872)
Pilgrim's Rest, South Africa (1873)
Black Hills Gold Rush, Black Hills of South Dakota and Wyoming (1874–78)
Bodie Gold Rush, Bodie, California (1876)
Kumara Gold Rush, Kumara and Dillmanstown, New Zealand (1876)[15]

Rushes of the 1880s:
Barberton Gold Rush, South Africa (1883)
Witwatersrand Gold Rush, Transvaal, South Africa (1886); discovery of the largest deposit of gold in the world. The resulting influx of miners became one of the triggers of the Second Boer War of 1899-1902.
Cayoosh Gold Rush in Lillooet, British Columbia (1884—87)
Tulameen Gold Rush near Princeton, British Columbia[clarification needed]
Tierra del Fuego Gold Rush, southernmost Chile and Argentina (1884–1906)

Rushes of the 1890s:
Cripple Creek Gold Rush, Cripple Creek, Colorado (1891)
Western Australian gold rushes, Kalgoorlie and Coolgardie, Western Australia (1893, 1896)
Mount Baker Gold Rush, Whatcom County, Washington, United States (1897–1920s)
Klondike Gold Rush, centered on Dawson City, Yukon, Canada (1896–99)
Atlin Gold Rush, Atlin, British Columbia (1898)
Nome Gold Rush, Nome, Alaska (1899–1909)
Fairview Goldrush, Oliver (Fairview), British Columbia Canada

Rushes of the 1900s–1910s:
Fairbanks Gold Rush, Fairbanks, Alaska (1902–05)
Goldfield Gold Rush, Goldfield, Nevada[clarification needed]
Porcupine Gold Rush, 1909–11, Timmins, Ontario, Canada – little known, but one of the largest in terms of gold mined, 67 million ounces as of 2001

Rushes of the 1910s–1920s:
Iditarod Gold Rush, Flat, Alaska, 1910–12, where gold was discovered by John Beaton and William A. Dikeman in 1908

Rushes of the 1930s:
Soviet gold rush - notably involving Gulag slave labor in the Kolyma region[16]
Kakamega gold rush, Kenya, 1932
Vatukoula Gold Rush, Fiji, 1932

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the confusion..I was simply saying those gold rush areas are a good bet to concentrate on if you want to increase your odds of finding a gold coin detecting.

Lots of them too - not just California.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dredgernaut, I'm drooling over the keyboard! :notworthy:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy up here who found 100 double eagles. They asked him how hard it was to find a gold coin, and he said the first one was pretty hard, but the other 99 were easy.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See now I'm experiencing the opposite.
Those last ones are a son of a gun.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Honestly, they were a "normal" currency - People didnt travel the same as we do now a days, using roads they knew or paths with the most direct route. Anywhere there was a Gold rush, sure, might be a "hot spot" but as many people have found as well... Farmers fields, Under and or beside paths/ walkways in construction or being altered. In the depths of the forests and even the back yards of some homes. They could be anywhere and I stand by the "It has to be dropped for it to be dug" slogan... I dont really think you can increase your odds by any percentage digging or detecting certain or particular areas... They are where they are and that's all. Dig it all to increase your odds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread