Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
we had been having some rather warm weather for the last week or so. Anyways, got up Friday morning to find one of the birdfeeder poles had been bent over and the feeder pulled off and scattered. It had all of the signs of a young male out looking for anything to eat that it could find. The feeder wasn't destroyed and a quick repair had it ready to be put on a new pole. there were two more feeders that weren't touched so it must have gotten nervous and left. The bigger bears would have got them all. A friend has a deer feeder out on a steel pole but the bears kept ruining the pole and tearing the feeder up so he managed to get some drill stem. no more bent poles. This is a tough time for a young bear, it isn't cold enough for it to actually hibernate and food can be rather hard to find. The good thing is that there seems to still be acorns around. some bears get kind of hooked on the "junk food" that people have around their homes. it was just a small reminder that the bears are still here, could be worse.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, glad our feeders are only bothered by racoons! Good article DL!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to take the bird feeder down. :icon_scratch: The bobcat that comes around on occasion was using it as a tasty bird snack dispenser. Boy that thing is fast. There was a bird at it once, I saw a flash and a poof of feathers, the bird and the cat were gone! Fast as fast can be. I hide indoors from bears.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story, thank you for sharing!

Our raccoon and squirrels are always visiting our feeders. :tongue3:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I was surprised last night when we had a bear on the front porch. I thought they slept through the winter but a little internet research says otherwise. Lost all my bird feeders so now I’m back to bringing them in at night.
dts
PS - our town motto is “Goshen - Land of Milk and Honey... and big ass bears” No joke.

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No bears in my backyard ! Just the squirrels to worry about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread