Gold Coins

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of the greatest gold coin find... visually even... off a trail in the woods on a private property.

View attachment 1784609 View attachment 1784610 View attachment 1784611

Saddle Ridge Hoard

Size
1,427 coins

Created
1847 to 1894

Discovered
Gold Country, Sierra Nevada, California in February 2013

Present location
Tiburon, California

The Saddle Ridge Hoard is the name given to identify a treasure trove of 1,427 gold coins unearthed in the Gold Country of the Sierra Nevada, California in 2013. The face value of the coins totaled $27,980, but was assessed to be worth $10 million. In total, the hoard contains $27,460 in twenty-dollar coins, $500 in ten-dollar coins, and $20 in five-dollar coins, all dating from 1847 to 1894. The collection is the largest known discovery of buried gold coins that has ever been recovered in the US.

PS ) ) )

THOSE OF YOU WHO IGNORE IRON... TAKE NOTE. heh

I don't take much stock in the story. Could have been found anywhere..someone else's property..public ground...they kept it stored under the wood pile for awhile...thats the kind of places you should be looking..right?

A double eagle will blow your ears off just like an old shotgun brass.

A fellow successful detectorist once told my dad to always dig up every large iron signal when detecting around depression era cabins..said he found more than one stash in a tobacco tin.

Another experienced fellow told me to always unfold any sheet tin/lead you find around 1850's era sites. He said he found coins folded up more than once as well. I kept this junk as a reminder..
963AEA34-EBBD-4543-BFB1-3658808F7D3B.jpeg

Gotta pay attention to what people tell you sometimes.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing is certain. If your looking in the wrong places..your chances are slim.
My grandparents ran detectors in their spare time since they were commercially available..up until the late 1980's. They never found any old coins..certainly not gold coins.
Their time was focused on beaches..parks..schools..camp grounds, ect.
I'm sure they detected their share of yards as well.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAUDIGGER: This is exactly why i asked the question. I thought if they kind of explained the area types they were hunting might give the of us some more ideas and where to search. IMAUDIGGER and others that gave honest replys I thank you !!!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAUDIGGER: This is exactly why i asked the question. I thought if they kind of explained the area types they were hunting might give the of us some more ideas and where to search. IMAUDIGGER and others that gave honest replys I thank you !!!

I'm sure gold coins have been found in many places across the US..but the ones I have read about lately are found out west. California Gold Country. Now that you have brought this topic up..I think I'm going to drive a couple hours west tomorrow morning and spend New Year's Day detecting some likely places...treat myself to a truely rewarding day off...trick is - there are so many possibilities along the way..literally around every corner. Too bad that $50 gold coin lead my dad has is snowed in. I'm glad a certain party pooper isn't here to squash the excitement.

I'm hoping this thread grows some legs and somebody lets loose of a great story.

Last edited:

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My one and only gold coin was found a few years back on a beach after a storm. I was using an old whites XLT in dry sand. It's the lower right in the picture next to the cob coin. The next day I went back to the same spot and found a pillar dollar. It's in the upper right in the picture. encased in rock. I believe the gold coin is a Ducat? I never followed up to ID it but it's a cool looking coin as is the pillar dollar. The coins are still in the same shape as I found them. Maybe I should detect the beach more often???
gold and silver.jpg

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1784706
found in 2015. in an old cabin floor. the cabin was being removed for a new home to be built. and no, I did not tell anyone. they were bundled up in an old wool sock. they slid out when I scooped up the sock on a shovel. I just about had a heart attack. they will go to my kids. thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Those of you who found gold coins are our envy. If you don't mind would you ALL post a short story about what tyep of area you were hunting and maybe some details about the machine used ? I know i would like to know more about place types where gold coins are found ?

I was thinking of posting something very close to this topic, which will provide at least a few answers.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never found one but I was detecting with someone when he found one. It was on private property in Idaho, an area used as a campsite on the old Oregon trail. It was a $10 coin if I remember right, but it was 25 years ago so...I remember I found 2 half dimes there, a 1835 and 1839, they were stuck together pretty bad. I found out later the pioneers carried most of their money as $5 gold coins on the Oregon trail.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is where you find it. Your question is kind of silly if you ask me. Tell me where did people lose gold? Well its where they did.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa!! STOP THIS THREAD - back up a couple posts (to #26)

That demands better photos - front and back. Please.
That was a hefty sock..is that how you discovered it?
Member since 2012...no banner finds. Very humble of you.

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other

You can now follow the new post "Novice To Gold Coin."

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1784706
found in 2015. in an old cabin floor. the cabin was being removed for a new home to be built. and no, I did not tell anyone. they were bundled up in an old wool sock. they slid out when I scooped up the sock on a shovel. I just about had a heart attack. they will go to my kids. View attachment 1784726

Dredgernaut..suppose you could drag those little trinkets out of the safe for a little camera time?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will get those pics tomorrow, i need my wifes help to download. lol. thanks for the interest in them
Are you kidding me?! That was an incredible discovery! So your shoveling dirt an the shovel gets heavy and you notice an old sock? Or did it break open as you were shoveling?

-----------
Cannonball..I'd love to see a better picture of your gold coin as well if your so inclined..looks foreign.

Last edited:

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you kidding me?! That was an incredible discovery! So your shoveling dirt an the shovel gets heavy and you notice an old sock? Or did it break open as you were shoveling?

I was tearing down an old cabin. while scooping up debris with a shovel , there was a nasty old sock. as I swung my shovel towards the trash bin, they started to slide out of the sock. I would have thrown them away in 4 seconds more. but I was paying enough attention to what I was doing that I noticed 2 of them . I laid the shovel down and started sifting, I lifted the sock and they all slid out. I tipped over the trash bins in search of more. but no more to be found. 19 coins bundled up in 1 old sock , under the floor boards of an old cabin in
Glen Haven , Colorado.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a guy, "Gary the Concrete Man," tell me an interesting story. It is well known, "concrete guys," are terrible B.S.ers.
The story goes, when he was just a young pup, him and his buddy walked over to the Klamath River Bridge from Stewart Lennox addition. They spent the day catchin' frogs and throwin' rocks and such. Boys being boys, when ya gotta take a leak, the world is your urinal. His buddy looked down at his puddle and there layed a shiny $5 gold coin. After all the whoopin' and hollerin' was done, they beat cheeks back home to show off their find. I'll bet Dad confiscated that find immediately!:laughing7:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was tearing down an old cabin. while scooping up debris with a shovel , there was a nasty old sock. as I swung my shovel towards the trash bin, they started to slide out of the sock. I would have thrown them away in 4 seconds more. but I was paying enough attention to what I was doing that I noticed 2 of them . I laid the shovel down and started sifting, I lifted the sock and they all slid out. I tipped over the trash bins in search of more. but no more to be found. 19 coins bundled up in 1 old sock , under the floor boards of an old cabin in
Glen Haven , Colorado.

I think with modern DNA testing we could find the proper owner..did you keep the sock? Maybe we could all chip in to help out with the cost?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread