Scrambles the Wonder Chicken is seriously ill - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Scrambles the Wonder Chicken is seriously ill

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    13872 times
    Metal Detecting
    I don't even want to think about what we've invested in chickens. We have six adult hens now and 16 younglings hatched this spring. I converted two horse stalls into separated coops with nest-boxes and perches and a fenced 24ft x 12ft area in front of both under a roof, and another 60 ft x 30 ft enclosed "run" outside that. .

I like to give them run of the yard and pasture - but with coyotes, foxes, hawks (watched one take a hen, once), fishers, weasels, etc. it is usually safest to keep them at least in the run portion.

We used to let them brood if they were so inclined and "cull" the roosters for the freezer. Mostly now we just order hens seasonally to feed foxes. :-( Lost eight hens and our spunky rooster who definitely went down fighting to one invasion in the run last month with eight carcasses left behind and only one dragged out and missing. Who says only humans kill what they won't eat?
    smokeythecat likes this.
    Political correctness is facism pretending to be manners -- George Carlin

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    31351 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Charlie P, I hear you. I have not had any of the four I bought in 2014 lost to a predator. A few months ago a mature bald eagle was sitting near the chicken pen probably crying it could not have one. Big Red is broody and is trying to hatch broken egg shells. The true definition of "bird brain".

Scrambie ate some blueberries from my hand today. She moves about some. I'm still hand feeding her. Poor thing. Has the entire bathroom to herself. The cats are not impressed and are scared of her. She ain't dead but it isn't over and the infection came from somewhere.
    Last edited by smokeythecat; Jun 11, 2020 at 03:34 PM.
    SusanMN and Honest Samuel like this.

Mar 2016
    4931 times
    I helped my brother build a wooden coop, complete with roost and laying boxes.

They are automatically let out in the morning and allowed to roam the yard during the day..and at night (when the majority of the predators are out), they are automatically penned up.

The system my brother built runs off a car battery and uses a timer and auto antenna motor that he bought off Amazon. The door slides open and shut automatically and the chickens are trained. They want out in the morning and really want in at night.
    Works slick far as I can tell.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    31351 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Still hanging in there. She can't walk but getting feistier. Cats are terrified of her. She had three kinds of medicine today, prescription food I fed her by hand, watermelon, blueberries and pound cake.
    Blak bart and Honest Samuel like this.

Mar 2016
    4931 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Still hanging in there. She can't walk but getting feistier. Cats are terrified of her. She had three kinds of medicine today, prescription food I fed her by hand, watermelon, blueberries and pound cake.
    Jeeze, she’s lucky to have you as a friend.

When I was a kid, we had a pet rooster. It was friendly and would follow me around till it got hot outside. It was friends with the cat and dog. They would sleep together. His name was “Rooster”.

As a small child, I buried him when he died and marked the grave with a cross. I remember crying the whole time. Several years later I dug him up and tried to reassemble his skeleton! Ya I guess I’m a sick puppy ; )
    smokeythecat likes this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    1413 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hi , Haven't had chickens for years , attracts rodents and the snakes are not far behind. Foxes got a few .County got limits these days hygiene and birdflu .TP
    smokeythecat likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    31351 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I don't think it's looking good. She still can't stand up. I had to give her a bath outside in a little pan today. I put her back in the huge cat carrier. Lots of stuff can go wrong, like aspirate her liquid diet, etc. Vet will want another $300 on Tuesday.

It is going to take the rest of forever to clean the house and ME! I feel like I need a clorox bath!
    Honest Samuel likes this.

Mar 2016
    4931 times
    Dang that’s a strong connection.

Birds are pretty delicate as far as sickness goes.

Who knows maybe if it’s lived this long through this...it may turn the corner.
    Unfortunately as I said, they are pretty delicate. Healthy or they are not.
    smokeythecat likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    31351 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well, she ate her watermelon all by herself this am. The cats elected not to give her a "cat scan". I think she'd hurt the cats.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    31351 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    She's still quite ill. She can't walk or stand, and is living in a bunny cage in the dining room. Vet says it doesn't look too good, but we will hear more today. She is eating some on her own.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    25303 times
    She's still quite ill. She can't walk or stand, and is living in a bunny cage in the dining room. Vet says it doesn't look too good, but we will hear more today. She is eating some on her own.
    The vet ask about diet and mineral and vitamin history?
    Mareks the vet would have checked for early on.
    Most other leg stuff is evident in chicks...Though ghosts can haunt I guess.

You have a a vet.
    And prescription(s).
    If isolated and no resources were at hand , I'd recommend studying tumeric at a teaspoon or less per ten pounds of bird weight per day.
    And vitamin and mineral requirements , just in case something is being missed..

A week is a long time for a hen to be down.
    Tough old girl she is...
    smokeythecat and ticndig like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    31351 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Relevantchair, she has had two hazmat baths complete with drip dry, paper towels and toweling. And a blow drier. Its hazmat.

Still waiting for vet to call back and I am losing it at this point.
    Honest Samuel likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    25303 times
    Relevantchair, she has had two hazmat baths complete with drip dry, paper towels and toweling. And a blow drier. Its hazmat.

Still waiting for vet to call back and I am losing it at this point.
    Hang in there.
    Vet is busy , or researching maybe. Or a vet ducking communication.

Part of living with critters , is one of us treading water sometimes while the other tries to offer what they can for empathy. Come what may.
    They can pick up on our stress sometimes. So be calm but tough for now...It's not always easy to do.

Saw a picture a while back of a chicken in a sling. Seemed weight was on breast/keel. Holes cut for wing butts to fit through.(Slots there might be easier to fit/put on , vs a wing through a hole each side) Material each side above butts was where it (bird) was supported from.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    4472 times
    Good luck to her, listen to her doctor, that is why you are paying a lot of money for.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    31351 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    They figured it out. An infection in her fallopian tube. No tumor. Going to the vet to get another antibiotic specific to this kind of infection in about 10 minutes, they open at 8:30 and it's almost an hour over there and they said 3 days and we will know. They also said ducks and chickens are some of the toughest animals in the world!
    Blak bart and releventchair like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links