Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the vet said, there was nothing else I could have done. She was the last of the hens to lay eggs and that's what eventually got her. The contractor came over and took a look and sort of screamed, after some coughing (he smokes like a smokestack), and is bringing other tools and is coming back tomorrow.

I may need to take a road trip...to tay out of the way.
Time to get more laying hens to save money on eggs.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Big Red is STILL trying to hatch straw. She is also over 6 years old. Hens take a lot of time and effort to keep, if you do it right. And the eggs normally get doodie'd on really bad. I'll stick to the store for eggs.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relevantchair, that also works with hermit crabs! But no - best not to eat a sick bird or one that died unexpectantly.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if you've seen this T-shirt but I came across it today online and immediately thought of you. :coffee2:

Attachments

• CoffeeAndChickenTShirt.jpg
    CoffeeAndChickenTShirt.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool shirt. Chickens are a lot of work. Big Red is now the dominant one, but Buttercup is still the protector chicken - The Terminator with feathers. They had blueberries today. I am actually writing a book about my animals adventures. Out probably first quarter 2021. Will be on Amazon. I may even sell a copy!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to be a humorous book. Cartoons would probably be more appropriate.

BTW, I don't mess around with things I do. I seem to have two speeds: fast forward or not at all.

Book is about 30,000 words long. I have FINISHED 15,000 of them! Have an editor, publisher, graphic artist and printer!

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A buddy years ago had a pool table in his garage. He was a bachelor & kinda rough so it ended up being a junk table. One of his chickens built a nest on it. We swapped out the eggs for billiard balls and she would sit on them. It was fun to hang out there & shoot guns, drink beer etc.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to be a humorous book. Cartoons would probably be more appropriate.

BTW, I don't mess around with things I do. I seem to have two speeds: fast forward or not at all.

Book is about 30,000 words long. I have FINISHED 15,000 of them! Have an editor, publisher, graphic artist and printer!

I, for one, will be looking forward to it.
Please be sure to give us an update when it's ready!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will. Wrote 6 pieces to it yesterday. I also proof read about 8,000 words of it. It's written in "cat" and "chicken".

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here is a sample from the book. It is copyrighted. Enjoy, and let me know if you think it's written for adults or kids, or both. There are no really "bad words" in it. I have used hell, besturde, stupid, arse, murdalize (murder) and a few other such things.

A HORRIBLE THING HAS HAPPENED

I just don’t know where to start! Last night the four of us went to bed. We had chicken food and blueberries today. I wonder where the blueberries comes from anyway?

Anyways, Big Red was her usual dumb self. Buttercup likes to keep me nice looking, if there is a spot of dirt or food on me she alwayses cleans it off. Little One has for days now been running and running and running up and down and up and down and she’s eating ok and isn’t doing anythings odd.

Well, today, we couldn’t get her up for breakfast. We thought she might have eaten too many blueberries, but she didn’t get up.
When the lady came out Big Red, Buttercup and I came out for breakfast. We was a squaking that something was wrong with Little One. The dumb lady didn’t catch on at first. But then she counted us – one – two –three and looked kinda stupide. So she asks us where’s Little One? The doors were all closed like they should have been. She ain’t bright.

So, she goes to the back of the house and opens it up looking for Little One and makes a real funny noise! Then she makes other funny noises and gets the thing she uses to clean out our house and picks up Little One with it! Little One is NOT MOVING! Not even when the lady came to get her. The crazy lady seemed really upset or mad or maybe she is mad. We watched as she took Little One over to the tree we plays under sometimes and dug a hole in the ground. We yelled at her to tell her we did not want a dirt bath! I didn’t know peoples took dirt baths.

Then to my horror she put Little One in the ground, covered her over and went back in the house. She almost forgot our breakfast and we didn’t not get no blueberries or anything.

LITTLE ONE HAS DIED! SHE ARE DAID! We is not going to see her no more. There is just three of us left. We had never seen anything with a grown hen like this before. When the lady went into the house her face was leaking something wet and she was making funny noises. I hopes she is ok because without her we would die with no food or watermelon!

I don’t know what to think. There are only three of us left! And I do all the typeingg! Big Red don’t know how and Buttercup thinks she’s special and won’t.

Please help us if you can.

Your friend,

Scrambles the Wonder Chicken

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good morning smokeythecat, i just read your whole post and sorry to here about your loss. It might be just a Chicken but i bet it was a special chicken to you. I know what its like to lose a pet and again sorry you lost Scrambles.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I keep reminding myself she was just a chicken.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I keep reminding myself she was just a chicken.
The reason we rarely name pets at our place because we end up eating ‘em. I’ll add that most of my flock lives a nice comfortable life years after their egg laying days are over. They do not end up in the pot.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fistfulladirt, how long do your hens live? A local farmer told me awhile ago that his hens generally died about 5 years old. My one hen fell over dead in her sleep at 5 - not one feather messed up, just died, Scrambie was 6. The other girls will be 6 1/2 in 2 weeks or so.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Fistfulladirt, how long do your hens live? A local farmer told me awhile ago that his hens generally died about 5 years old. My one hen fell over dead in her sleep at 5 - not one feather messed up, just died, Scrambie was 6. The other girls will be 6 1/2 in 2 weeks or so.
I have two Australorps left out of one dozen, six years old. Several died naturally between 3-4 years old, and several were taken by hawks. In 20 years of raising birds from young I’ve never lost a single chick.

Up until a few weeks ago, I was still getting two or three eggs per week from six year old hens. All of this last flock had most of their toes chewed off by raccoon one night when they were chicks, I kept them in an elevated rabbit hutch. All survived. One old hen is broody and has not layed or cooped in over one month; she’s sitting on egg-sized rocks next to an ornamental grass next to our house.

I have a new young flock of Reds that are already laying at 5 months old!
Normally I don’t see first eggs until around Christmas.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here is a sample from the book. It is copyrighted. Enjoy, and let me know if you think it's written for adults or kids, or both. There are no really "bad words" in it. I have used hell, besturde, stupid, arse, murdalize (murder) and a few other such things.

A HORRIBLE THING HAS HAPPENED

I just don’t know where to start! Last night the four of us went to bed. We had chicken food and blueberries today. I wonder where the blueberries comes from anyway?

Anyways, Big Red was her usual dumb self. Buttercup likes to keep me nice looking, if there is a spot of dirt or food on me she alwayses cleans it off. Little One has for days now been running and running and running up and down and up and down and she’s eating ok and isn’t doing anythings odd.

Well, today, we couldn’t get her up for breakfast. We thought she might have eaten too many blueberries, but she didn’t get up.
When the lady came out Big Red, Buttercup and I came out for breakfast. We was a squaking that something was wrong with Little One. The dumb lady didn’t catch on at first. But then she counted us – one – two –three and looked kinda stupide. So she asks us where’s Little One? The doors were all closed like they should have been. She ain’t bright.

So, she goes to the back of the house and opens it up looking for Little One and makes a real funny noise! Then she makes other funny noises and gets the thing she uses to clean out our house and picks up Little One with it! Little One is NOT MOVING! Not even when the lady came to get her. The crazy lady seemed really upset or mad or maybe she is mad. We watched as she took Little One over to the tree we plays under sometimes and dug a hole in the ground. We yelled at her to tell her we did not want a dirt bath! I didn’t know peoples took dirt baths.

Then to my horror she put Little One in the ground, covered her over and went back in the house. She almost forgot our breakfast and we didn’t not get no blueberries or anything.

LITTLE ONE HAS DIED! SHE ARE DAID! We is not going to see her no more. There is just three of us left. We had never seen anything with a grown hen like this before. When the lady went into the house her face was leaking something wet and she was making funny noises. I hopes she is ok because without her we would die with no food or watermelon!

I don’t know what to think. There are only three of us left! And I do all the typeingg! Big Red don’t know how and Buttercup thinks she’s special and won’t.

Please help us if you can.

Your friend,

Scrambles the Wonder Chicken

:icon_thumright::icon_thumright: 2 thumbs up from me....my kid would like a copy....give me a pm when there on the shelf.:occasion14:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak Bart, I think older kids would love it. And adults who are stir crazy from covid and want a getaway. I'l probably put a "bad word" list on the back cover, will talk to the editor about it.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats kinda what I thought...he likes to read and he likes our friends chickens alot...he visits them at least once a week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread