Minelab explorer se factory preset question?

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I will be getting my new SE pro in tomorrow. I have already read through the instruction manual online about 4 times thoroughly.
I was just curious how everyone has made out using the factory presets, and if there are any good targets that are known to be missed by using the presets??
I worry about missing old nickels etc...guess I will have to test it.

Thanks!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
93vector said:
I will be getting my new SE pro in tomorrow. I have already read through the instruction manual online about 4 times thoroughly.
I was just curious how everyone has made out using the factory presets, and if there are any good targets that are known to be missed by using the presets??
I worry about missing old nickels etc...guess I will have to test it.

Thanks!

Don't worry about missing anything... I would worry about putting the time in and learning the machine... Not sure about everyone else but seeing a review after one or two times out and seeing that person selling that detector in a month seems senseless. I would focus on putting as many hours as possible in on the detector, then after 50 hours start making changes. If you want you can start changing the factory presets and saving your own programs the second you get the Se. But funny you mentioned nickels...not the Se's favorite item... but you will still hit some. I will not even tell you how many more nickels my dfx picks up than the se.... Also I could still just be missing them myself...But the Se has alot of strong points also...

First just start with learning your pinpointing and recovery...than from there make a few changes such as sensitivity, discrimination, gain...one thing at a time... :)

OP
OP
93vector

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Thanks alot for the info Gregg...I will just take my time and really try to learn the machine...I am very excited to get it tomorrow!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
93vector said:
Thanks alot for the info Gregg...I will just take my time and really try to learn the machine...I am very excited to get it tomorrow!

Good luck take you time... I actually use digital.... because I am used to it from my dfx. There are a few pinpointing tricks which may help you....first the red 'm" on the coil seems to be the sweet spot...when you go into pinpoint mode (vco on)...listen for the loudest response should signal dead middle, area by "m". I like to drag the coil toward me till the signal drops off...then the target is right at the top/tip of coil in middle.

If you read reviews...the first few trips can be tough...do not get frustrated...I had to switch to an 8" Minelab coil to separate signals in trash at first. But I recently got an extra lower rod and started using the stock coil again. A good 8" coil used can usually be had on the forums from $75 to $105...I would suggest getting one or the 8" sunray(x-8).... good luck... :)

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I can say that in my sort time using the SE that it can miss silver in the default mode, as it can in all metal mode. The user will have to choose what mode is best in order to not miss a silver signal, and the user must be able to notice the subtle changes in the threshold to start investigating a signal.

For instance:
Two of the dimes I have dug came in as squeaks, depth was about 5 “, one had a repeatable signal and one was not. Before I decided to dig them I studied both for minute or two (remember I’m just a beginner with the SE).

The coin that didn’t have a repeatable signal had a rejected target on one side of it, and that’s what caused the target/coin to blank on the back sweep.

The reason I decided to dig a none repeatable signal was that it didn’t change, and when I bumped the target with the coil’s EMF the target still sounded off and gave a 30 reading on the conductively scale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread