Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Newbie Detector here really needing good advise from you pro's

queendetector said:
coingairl300 said:
Hi

Welcome to the hobby. Theirs a lote of places to start hunting.You can try parks, beaches,(if you live by one) camp grounds,old home sites,admusmit parks,trails, around lakes,. MY advise to you is to start out slow and don't be in a harry with this hobby. Get all the advise you can from others that have been doing this for years.I have been detecting for 3 years now,and i love it. I own a whites MXT,and have found my share of find.I wish you luck.

P.S. BY the way my names,
Priscilla
im 26
LIVE in warren county NJ.

THX for the info..i hit up two spots already and found junk lol...i am still learning what the beeps mean etc..i dont live near a beach tho..live in tennessee...id like to visit an old battle ground we have like an hr from us
Yes,I still find junk when i detect to,so dont feel bad. Before you go to hunt a battle field,find out if you can detect it. I would hate to see you get in to trouble. I would also check out for your self, on what laws you have in your county or township has posted. Some times you cant go by word of mouth. GOOD LUCK! PRISCILLA

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What part of TN? I'm in Kingsport, you anywhere near here?

OP
OP
queendetector

queendetector

Greenie
Aug 30, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 101 Bounty Hunter

Captain Loosechange said:
What part of TN? I'm in Kingsport, you anywhere near here?

Ah no sorry I live by Fort Campbell ky on the TN side.

OP
OP
queendetector

queendetector

Greenie
Aug 30, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used

Larsmed said:
Unless I see a sign, I just hunt!

Larry

Really?I feel a little shy about this still.It will take me some time.

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD

Something else that you might want to consider is a pair of KNEE PADS. They realy do save your knees! :thumbsup:

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

littletwig said:
Something else that you might want to consider is a pair of KNEE PADS. They realy do save your knees! :thumbsup:

I agree. my old knees really need them.
Grey

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000

Also, don't forget that pepper spray... this can be a dangerous hobby for a girl especially if going out alone. If theres one thing I've noticed, its that anyone and everyone will usually come out of the woodwork to bother you when detecting. If anything, its usually just to bombard you with questions.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes, lots of folks want to know if you are being successful. Little kids are curious and often try to help.
Try not to bash them with your digger. This does not promote the hobby.
Older folks ask questions like " any luck yet" and nod and pass by.
They just wish they had one but are too lazy or cheap but they mean well.
The JDs are the ones to watch. If you're working a beach, they can be everywhere.
But lots of people around is a good thing too. There are good samaritans in this world.
With Companies advertising on TV many more people know what we are doing.
They do not feel threatened for their kids. I do a lot of kid parks and have noticed this.
For the gangbanger areas in parks I have backup. These bad folks cannot take away my right to search.
Grey

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000

Yesterday I had a custodian at the park walk up to me and cross his arms and just stand there.... when I turned and said hello he was like, "How you doin this morning? Finding anything??" He was a really nice guy.. I was really expecting him to give me crap about using a digger on the ground there.

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver

I have a quick silver bounty hunter, great little detector.All machines beep,just remember that.Some just have more bells and whisels.I have found gold rings,earings,coins,and about a million and half beer tabs!!..Just get to know"your" machine and it will be good to you!

OP
OP
queendetector

queendetector

Greenie
Aug 30, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used

Mr.Jody said:
I have a quick silver bounty hunter, great little detector.All machines beep,just remember that.Some just have more bells and whisels.I have found gold rings,earings,coins,and about a million and half beer tabs!!..Just get to know"you" machine and it will be good to you!

So far I've found nothing but junk!!! I know that's a huge part of the hobby but it is getting a little depressing. :( Oh yeah my 11 year old son found a penny!!! HAHA he's got better luck then me. ::)

OP
OP
queendetector

queendetector

Greenie
Aug 30, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used

spisswgt said:
Yesterday I had a custodian at the park walk up to me and cross his arms and just stand there.... when I turned and said hello he was like, "How you doin this morning? Finding anything??" He was a really nice guy.. I was really expecting him to give me crap about using a digger on the ground there.
That's cool.At least he was nice.

OP
OP
queendetector

queendetector

Greenie
Aug 30, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used

greydigger said:
Yes, lots of folks want to know if you are being successful. Little kids are curious and often try to help.
Try not to bash them with your digger. This does not promote the hobby.
Older folks ask questions like " any luck yet" and nod and pass by.
They just wish they had one but are too lazy or cheap but they mean well.
The JDs are the ones to watch. If you're working a beach, they can be everywhere.
But lots of people around is a good thing too. There are good samaritans in this world.
With Companies advertising on TV many more people know what we are doing.
They do not feel threatened for their kids. I do a lot of kid parks and have noticed this.
For the gangbanger areas in parks I have backup. These bad folks cannot take away my right to search.
Grey

I was totally debating on doing the parks.But after reading alot of folks hitting them up,I feel more confrontable about it.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm with Larsmed, to me No sign = Invitation :icon_pirat:. (with some caution)

HH,
Ramapirate

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008

Try your own yard too, i've found tons in my yard. coins, pendants, bullet shells, tools. Also, if your city or town has multiple parks, do a little research to see which ones are the oldest or are more frequented by people. under big trees where people may have sat or picknicked or who knows what. check the woodchips in the playground area, easy digging too. state or federal parks may have restrictions or fees, be sure to check with the rangers. I'm doing research on an old ghosttown in my area that dates back to the 1820s. the possibilities are endless but it also depends on what your looking for. there are tons of detecting videos on youtube that could also be helpful, and mlotv.com is a good resource. good luck and HH fr: ok

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver

queendetector said:
Mr.Jody said:
I have a quick silver bounty hunter, great little detector.All machines beep,just remember that.Some just have more bells and whisels.I have found gold rings,earings,coins,and about a million and half beer tabs!!..Just get to know"you" machine and it will be good to you!

So far I've found nothing but junk!!! I know that's a huge part of the hobby but it is getting a little depressing. :( Oh yeah my 11 year old son found a penny!!! HAHA he's got better luck then me. ::)
It was the same with me, heck, I still dig up junk.Part of the game,keep at it.

LOCAL SWINGER

Oct 10, 2008
chautauqua county new york
Detector(s) used
whites m6 matrix and XLT

Hello,YOUR POINTING YOURSELF DOWN THE RIGHT ROAD, JUST BY ASKING QUESTIONS,AND YOUR RESEARCH ABOUT YOUR DETECTOR.THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN MD IS UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOUR MACHINE IS TELLING YOU.START BY PUTING A FEW COINS RINGS ETC. ON THE GROUND. IN A AREA THAT HAS NO TRASH.LISTEN CAREFULLY TO EVERY SOUND MARK YOUR METER MENTALLY FOR EACH TARGET.THEN BURY THE TARGETS A COUPLE INCHES< THEN SAME AS ABOVE. YOU WILL NOTICE DIFFERANCES IN TONE OR METER READINGS.NOW LAY A COUPLE PULL TABS AND OTHER TRASH ITEMS,REPEAT ABOVE.EVEN THOUGH YOU BURIED THESE TARGETS. THE TARGET WILL BE DIFFERENT IN NATURAL UNDESTERBED SOIL.BUT WITH A LITTLE MORE PRACTICE<YOU WILL HAVE IT <YOU WILL ALWAYS DIG JUNK,NO MATTER WHAT MD YOU HAVE,MY MD TEACHES ME EVERY DAY.KEEP SWINGIN!!!

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

gosh, all caps realy messed up my eyes, please don't do that again.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOCAL SWINGER said:
Hello,YOUR POINTING YOURSELF DOWN THE RIGHT ROAD, JUST BY ASKING QUESTIONS,AND YOUR RESEARCH ABOUT YOUR DETECTOR.THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN MD IS UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOUR MACHINE IS TELLING YOU.START BY PUTING A FEW COINS RINGS ETC. ON THE GROUND. IN A AREA THAT HAS NO TRASH.LISTEN CAREFULLY TO EVERY SOUND MARK YOUR METER MENTALLY FOR EACH TARGET.THEN BURY THE TARGETS A COUPLE INCHES< THEN SAME AS ABOVE. YOU WILL NOTICE DIFFERANCES IN TONE OR METER READINGS.NOW LAY A COUPLE PULL TABS AND OTHER TRASH ITEMS,REPEAT ABOVE.EVEN THOUGH YOU BURIED THESE TARGETS. THE TARGET WILL BE DIFFERENT IN NATURAL UNDESTERBED SOIL.BUT WITH A LITTLE MORE PRACTICE<YOU WILL HAVE IT <YOU WILL ALWAYS DIG JUNK,NO MATTER WHAT MD YOU HAVE,MY MD TEACHES ME EVERY DAY.KEEP SWINGIN!!!
your caps lock is stuck or you need to switch to decaf :tongue3:

T

The.Boomer

Hi I use the Pioneer 101 and have for many years, So here's a short cut. Your settings should be set like this. set the selector switch(Bottom Right) to "tone", ferget disc and all metal for now you can experiment with them later as you learn. Set your sensitivity (Dial Upper Left) to the three O'clock position, That's pointing to your right as you look at the detector. Set your Discriminate dial (Upper Right) to between 11 and 12 O'clock, pointing upper left when facing the detector. Use cheap head phones with an adapter to fit large plug, radio shack can fix you up with these. But I buy mine at Wallyworld. Any thing that has a solid high tone dig it is silver or copper. Solid low tone can be either platinum, gold or unfortunately foil aluminum. The mixed raspy sound in between high and low can also be dug but mostly trash in that area but lower quality gold like 10k is also possible here, so dig at your own discretion. The one thing no one else can help you with is determination. It takes allot of that and time but you will begin to find the good stuff if you stick with it long enough to learn and the more you learn the longer you'll stick with it.

PS; pay no attention to the silly meter, it only bounces around and has no real Bering on anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread