Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
Tell me where all the gold is! lol

:)

But really, most people wont give you exact locations (at least, I wouldn't think) but have you checked put East Fork San Gabriel? Last I checked you can still go there (theirs been some heat about that area lately). You can get some flower/fines with a flake here and there. Also, you can head east and hit up the Mojave. You'll probably wanna use a drywasher though.

I'm in So Cal also (Corona/Riverside) and I am planning on heading to East For SG as well as checking out some other area. I'm a bit new to all this as well but having a good time with it. If ya want, I can PM you when we are planning to head out and we can all meet up.

Also, you might wanna check out the gpaa and some other local clubs. That way you can have access to some claims ans well as hit up some outings and meet other fellow prospectors.

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm 10. My mom took me to keyesville she got me a sluice for my birthday. We live at fort irwin my dad is army. My mom took me to Barton flats but I couldn't find but a speck. The water was so freezing we didn't stay long. We didn't get a gold cube yet but soon. We met a crazy guy in the keyesville area living out of his car. My mom got scared so we had to leave. I'll post a pic of what we got from 3 trips 3 hours each one way. My mom says we will go broke finding gold :/

image-1216426160.png

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We live in the mojave but my mom says there's no water so since we don't have water we have to spend money to drive to water. I think the nearest river is kearn and that's 3 hours and s half away. little brother and sister are not good for car rides. My mom doesn't know how to run the sluice but she helps me dig. The kern is dangerous for my little brother and sister though so we don't get much done. My dad said if I found a spot by Friday he'd maybe take me out too when he gets home from the field.

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
Oh well, tell your dad thanks for me then! See if you can get them to take you to the East Fork of the San Gabriel River for the day. Its about an hour and 30 minutes away from Fort Irwin. There isn't a bunch of gold there and its all really small stuff but it is closer and you will have a good time. The water is a bit cold there so it'll be nice on a hot summer day. There is a good amount of shade too.

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you going on Saturday, my mom said my dad would probably like to meet up with someone since we're new. My mom said to ask you if you've heard of the gold cube?

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
4 trips 3 hours one way. My mom says this probably is 10 cents of gold for 24 hours of driving. We found an ok spot on the kern but still the gold is so tiny..the water makes it appear bigger. What city is the east fork sg by? I think my mom called there and they said no panning allowed that's why we tried keyesville

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I didn't get it yet but she said soon it will be here. I hope it works my sluice is tiny

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Alex,

First off, Thank You for your dad, as I know how tough it is for you when he's gone
so long. Hang in there, and he'll be home before ya know it.

As for prospecting down in the Fort Irwin area, there are many places you can go
but most of them are "dry", meaning you would need a dry-washer or a tub with
water so you can pan the concentrates down. The sluice is great too, and there
are places you can go that aren't too far such as the East Fork San Gabriel river and
there is also Lytle Creek (bottom of Cajon Pass). The Lytle River claim belongs to
the GPAA, and I really don't know much about it producing gold.

Hoping one of the good folks living down towards Barstow will offer to guide you
and your family for an outing, but if none offer then send me a message. I'll be
in the Barstow area the first week of May, and although it's been a lot of years
since I've been down in that area I would be glad to help out if I can.

OK gents...this young mans Dad is off fighting for his country, and he needs to get out for
a day with someone who can show him the ropes. Best I can do is show him how
to pan material from his local area (I don't have a dry washer yet), but I'm hoping
someone will step-up and help this young man and his mom out by getting them
out for a day's prospecting.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome young man. You are about my grandsons age. He has been mining since he was 5. The gold cube is a good piece of equipment. It is mostly ment to be used as a fine gold proccessor. You use it after you ran material through you sluice. Then you classify (screen) your concentrates (dirt in the sluice) through a screen 1/8 " size. Then you can run it through the gold cube and you will get your fine gold and any thing bigger. As far as where to go I can't help you there as I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota ( MT. Rushmore country). My baby brother is also army. He is a Lt. Col. Please tell your dad thankyou from me for his serivce to our country. It is very much appreciated.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
Hi Alex,

First off, Thank You for your dad, as I know how tough it is for you when he's gone
so long. Hang in there, and he'll be home before ya know it.

As for prospecting down in the Fort Irwin area, there are many places you can go
but most of them are "dry", meaning you would need a dry-washer or a tub with
water so you can pan the concentrates down. The sluice is great too, and there
are places you can go that aren't too far such as the East Fork San Gabriel river and
there is also Lytle Creek (bottom of Cajon Pass). The Lytle River claim belongs to
the GPAA, and I really don't know much about it producing gold.

Hoping one of the good folks living down towards Barstow will offer to guide you
and your family for an outing, but if none offer then send me a message. I'll be
in the Barstow area the first week of May, and although it's been a lot of years
since I've been down in that area I would be glad to help out if I can.

OK gents...this young mans Dad is off fighting for his country, and he needs to get out for
a day with someone who can show him the ropes. Best I can do is show him how
to pan material from his local area (I don't have a dry washer yet), but I'm hoping
someone will step-up and help this young man and his mom out by getting them
out for a day's prospecting.

From what I've read, Lytle Creek is more bird shot than yellows but I've yet to go there. Est Fork SG is ok to pan up from the parking lot area up about a miles to a place called Heaton Flats. It is located right outside of Azusa.

I just got a GPAA membership and I'll be checking out some areas that are somewhat by your area. I'll be sure to let you know if anything is worth going for the day. If there is, I can always coordinate with your dad to bring y'all there as a guest.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 trips 3 hours one way. My mom says this probably is 10 cents of gold for 24 hours of driving. We found an ok spot on the kern but still the gold is so tiny..the water makes it appear bigger. What city is the east fork sg by? I think my mom called there and they said no panning allowed that's why we tried keyesville

You're fortunate to have such loving parents who encourage your prospecting. Your mom sounds really great and I can relate to her comment about 10 cents worth of gold for 24 hours driving. Been there and done that LOL.

Go For The Gold!
GG~

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've heard some good reports from the cajon pass. Blue cut. Just off the 15 fwy.
Check with Pat Keene if you want to join the SFV Prospectors on this weekend's outing. Look on GPAA.net for info. It is in the desert sort of near you.
I too thank you and your mom and dad for the sacrifices made.

Good luck to you!

chowe

Mar 23, 2013
Where ever I throw my bed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello young man.There is alot of gold bearing areas in San Bernardino county.Research turqoise mountain,lytle creek (should have water),big bear,holcomb valley,cajon,and maybe coolgardie and superior lake.riverside county check red cloud mountain area, and blackburn canyon.Most of these areas lack water but take a couple bucket fulls of water from home and pan Into a water basin or tupperware tub.then you can reuse the water.If you guys make it back to the kern river shoot me a message I would sure help you out some.cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions