Need input and advice on Eroding Volcanic Pipe that is producing Gold??!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Fellow TNnet Gold Prospecting Folk,

About 7 years ago while Gold prospecting in a creek, I found a spot where white/bluish/grey clay comes up into one location in the creek, which is the downstream, shallower portion of a deeper hole! Knowing that usually the white/buish/grey clay contains Gold, I began digging some of the clay out and panning it down. This is no easy task as each full shovel full of the clay, must weigh in at 35 pounds or more. Well, once getting down 12 inches or more, I noticed that I was getting some color in the Gold Pan as well as some other possible heavy metals. After making some inquiries as to where the clay is coming from since this is the only spot on this creek or in the entire area with this white/bluish/grey clay, I was told by several Gold Prospectors and some others with backgrounds in Geology, that I may have found an eroding Volcanic Pipe. The problem I am having, is that if it is an eroding Volcanic Pipe, the exit of the pipe into the creek is about 3/4's blocked by large boulders. When I dig out the clay in the hole until I can dig no more due to the boulders, I then have to quit digging in this location. However, if I return a month or so later and there has been some rains, the hole is again full of the clay and I can dig, classify and pan it out. There was supposed to have been a Gold Mine in this area back in the 1800's to early 1900's but since I have looked everywhere in the area for the Gold Mine and can't find it, I am thinking that this hole in the creek, is the actual mine location and someone blocked the exit of the Volcanic Pipe into the creek for several reasons. One, they may have blocked it to prevent the loss of Gold downstream, so that they could come back some day and get more Gold but never did. Two, they blocked it for safety purposes as the exit of the Volcanic pipe may be unstable and someone could actually fall into and disappear in the hole. Whatever the case, I would like to extract some if not all of the boulders from the hole, so that the clay that is being brought into the creek from the eroding Volcanic Pipe, will flow more freely and I can get more Gold and the other possible heavy metals. What would you advise for me to do concerning trying to unblock the exit into the creek? Is this a good idea or a bad idea? How would you go about doing this as some of the boulders probably weigh in at 300 to 500 pounds? Keep in mind that I am not stupid and that if I attempt to unblock the exit of the Volcanic Pipe into the creek, I will have myself tied off to a large tree that is at least 30 yards or more from the hole! I surely don't want to fall into such a hole but at the same time, I want to make it where it (the Volcanic Pipe) will give up the Gold and other possible heavy metals more easily. I have spent too many years contemplating this delimma but due to work, family matters and financial issues, I could not see it through. However, I am now retired and since I have most of the monkeys off my' back per see, I now want to see this through! Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Note: I cannot give any specifics to the location (i.e. which State, County or even creek) as it may lead others to this location.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
Hey huntsman I'm in your neck of the woods was wondering if you could show me some pointers as I am fairly new to prospecting

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have small boulders in the creek, and trees around you,there is your fulcrum.
Good old Egyptian engineering.
No need to carry anything to the site.
On the old tall ships,many a large and very heavy items where moved with block and tackle.
And I mean just a few triple pulleys, and rope.
If the clay pushes up on the rock,why not put a few rocks,or boards partially under the boulders, and let the clay raise them up as the clay expands.
May take a few months,but no one will notice.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have small boulders in the creek, and trees around you,there is your fulcrum.
Good old Egyptian engineering.
No need to carry anything to the site.
On the old tall ships,many a large and very heavy items where moved with block and tackle.
And I mean just a few triple pulleys, and rope.
If the clay pushes up on the rock,why not put a few rocks,or boards partially under the boulders, and let the clay raise them up as the clay expands.
May take a few months,but no one will notice.

Good information! Thanks!

I never thought of letting the clay do the work but since it is able to squeeze out from between the boulders, it must have some force to it which I can take advantage of.

Frank

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all new to the forum thought I'd throw out a few variations of what has already been said. Really like Oakview2s' boulder slings when we can get close and weight is not a problem. For packing in I bring a come-along, nylon tow strap, and a pair of garage sale cable style snow chains. They are very strong and work great on boulders around 200lbs. Another variation for packing in is a 4' steel form stake to use as a pry/digging bar, it won't bend as easy as you'd think it might. Plus if you stash it or the cables and someone finds and steals them your out $20 bucks instead of $200. Hope this is of some use for you good luck! Forgot to mention- if you don't already know how and have the space available where your at, learn how to make a flip flop winch (you tube it) then you can leave the come along home as well.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frank..... I'm ready to go this fall and move some boulders with you. Anything beats going up and down these ridges and then into this cave this summer. Between the two of us we'll get'em moved. Now granted this "boulder party" might take one of us out (maybe both of us) but we'll move some boulders. I have an industrial hydraulic jack which can move 50 tons. It's VERY small (fits in your hand) but it only has about a 3" lift. Maybe it will come in handy...?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
There's another way to break up the boulders which would be silent as well as effective. It's called "Chinese Blasting" I was introduced to it when my sister and her husband were building their place in San Diego. There was a very large boulder right in the middle of the lot and they couldn't use explosives due to how close the neighbors' homes were.

Anyway... This guy comes in and drills a bunch of holes into the boulder and then pounded some hardwood dowels into said holes. He then proceeded to hose the boulder with water and kept it wet for several days. All of a sudden the expanding dowels pretty much shattered the boulder down to manageable sizes. If you have some way to drill the boulders in the opening you'd be set since they're underwater already. As the wood soaks up the water they're going to expand and rock can only take so much pressure before something gives. You could cut the dowels at home before you go out to the site and if yo're lucky enough to be able to recover them you can dry them out and reuse them on other boulders.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
... Oh.... And I resemble all these remarks about "Old Farts".

Now we have a leprechaun in the mix with the two old farts with bad backs......Frank, casting for the movie is getting more exciting every post and I am going to practice with the dowls in my yard for fun, breaking boulders, cool

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The technique of drilling two holes and inserting eye-loops/bolts will work to get the jigsaw pile of boulders opened up. I've done it. (but not underwater!)

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Now we have a leprechaun in the mix with the two old farts with bad backs......Frank, casting for the movie is getting more exciting every post and I am going to practice with the dowls in my yard for fun, breaking boulders, cool

Kevin,

We might have to revise that to one old fart and two leprechaun old farts as I am Irish as well! Of course along with Cherokee Indian, English and Dutch.

Frank

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kevin,

We might have to revise that to one old fart and two leprechaun old farts as I am Irish as well! Of course along with Cherokee Indian, English and Dutch.

Frank

Frank, come on man you are killing me with this. Lets imagine for a moment you and Brad find some good stuff and one of you gets trapped by a boulder that you were trying to move with the blind pigs pixie dust and after hours of struggle you have to cut off your own tennis shoe toedde0a now we have a movie deal to organize and you have to be cast as a half Cherokee, half Dutch, half Irish, half English ( the good half), good old boy old fart with a bad back. Who the heck can play that part.
Got it, we'll cast you as yourself and hope you act better than you listen to me when i ask you nicely i might add not to encourage BVI on another thread LOLdde0a

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a shame we're not in the S.A.G. At least then we'd be getting scale pay for our acting efforts.

It's also a shame that the water is not deeper as you could sink 55 gallon barrels and lash them to the boulders. Then pump them full of air and float the offending boulders out of the way. Logistics would be a bear in that area if I'm understanding the access issues.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's a shame we're not in the S.A.G. At least then we'd be getting scale pay for our acting efforts.

It's also a shame that the water is not deeper as you could sink 55 gallon barrels and lash them to the boulders. Then pump them full of air and float the offending boulders out of the way. Logistics would be a bear in that area if I'm understanding the access issues.

G. I,

Don't feel sorry for Frank, he's working on his movie deal, they are probably pebbles or small rocks. I do want to hear how the blind pigs pixie dust (Dexpan) works though if they are as he describes and they need a spanking ( which they probably are)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
G. I,

Don't feel sorry for Frank, he's working on his movie deal, they are probably pebbles or small rocks. I do want to hear how the blind pigs pixie dust (Dexpan) works though if they are as he describes and they need a spanking ( which they probably are)

Kevin,

Ha...Ha! Quick to wit are we??!! Come on down and help me get the boulders out of the hole. I am sure that it wouldn't be long before the wit petered off to whining and a lot of cursing!

On another note and some information that I discussed with Brad (Limitool) a few days back! Since the water is always murky in the hole as previously stated, I have no real idea as to how large and heavy the boulders are as you can not see them or even tell what they are made of. I know that with my' best and strongest shovels, I cannot get any of them to budge even one millimeter. A funny thing though that I mentioned to Brad, is the fact that I once brought up a sliver of Gold that you could tell was sliced off a bigger piece of Gold and I believe that it may have came from one of the boulders. Could some of the boulders contain Gold or be all Gold? I don't know but I guess that it is a possibilty and is another reason that I want to get them out of there before someone else stumbles upon this spot and does. I can only dream that this is the case but if it were true, there could be more such rocks flowing out of the Volcanic Pipe once the plug (blockage) is removed. If that was to happen and I can get them out, then I will match that Super Yacht of Über Treasure Hunter!:hello2:

Frank

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
Hey frank if you can carry in a come a long I can get you a couple very thick straps maybe wrap around the boulders an pull them out I know these straps are strong enough

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Frank,

You have to get the choke of boulders moved even a little perhap, you can then chip away at either the one you moved ( for a looksee at what its made of) or one of the ones left in the hole now you have some space.

At the moment you are using a 6'8 plumber to work under your sink with his whole self in the cupboard. Try and make some room, maybe feel around to target a smaller boulder and get the little rascal out of the hole so you can see accurately what's what.

As for me coming up and helping, there is a very famous saying, " give a lazy man a job and find the easiest way to do it" I promise you there a no lazier men than medde0a

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread