Need input and advice on Eroding Volcanic Pipe that is producing Gold??!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Fellow TNnet Gold Prospecting Folk,

About 7 years ago while Gold prospecting in a creek, I found a spot where white/bluish/grey clay comes up into one location in the creek, which is the downstream, shallower portion of a deeper hole! Knowing that usually the white/buish/grey clay contains Gold, I began digging some of the clay out and panning it down. This is no easy task as each full shovel full of the clay, must weigh in at 35 pounds or more. Well, once getting down 12 inches or more, I noticed that I was getting some color in the Gold Pan as well as some other possible heavy metals. After making some inquiries as to where the clay is coming from since this is the only spot on this creek or in the entire area with this white/bluish/grey clay, I was told by several Gold Prospectors and some others with backgrounds in Geology, that I may have found an eroding Volcanic Pipe. The problem I am having, is that if it is an eroding Volcanic Pipe, the exit of the pipe into the creek is about 3/4's blocked by large boulders. When I dig out the clay in the hole until I can dig no more due to the boulders, I then have to quit digging in this location. However, if I return a month or so later and there has been some rains, the hole is again full of the clay and I can dig, classify and pan it out. There was supposed to have been a Gold Mine in this area back in the 1800's to early 1900's but since I have looked everywhere in the area for the Gold Mine and can't find it, I am thinking that this hole in the creek, is the actual mine location and someone blocked the exit of the Volcanic Pipe into the creek for several reasons. One, they may have blocked it to prevent the loss of Gold downstream, so that they could come back some day and get more Gold but never did. Two, they blocked it for safety purposes as the exit of the Volcanic pipe may be unstable and someone could actually fall into and disappear in the hole. Whatever the case, I would like to extract some if not all of the boulders from the hole, so that the clay that is being brought into the creek from the eroding Volcanic Pipe, will flow more freely and I can get more Gold and the other possible heavy metals. What would you advise for me to do concerning trying to unblock the exit into the creek? Is this a good idea or a bad idea? How would you go about doing this as some of the boulders probably weigh in at 300 to 500 pounds? Keep in mind that I am not stupid and that if I attempt to unblock the exit of the Volcanic Pipe into the creek, I will have myself tied off to a large tree that is at least 30 yards or more from the hole! I surely don't want to fall into such a hole but at the same time, I want to make it where it (the Volcanic Pipe) will give up the Gold and other possible heavy metals more easily. I have spent too many years contemplating this delimma but due to work, family matters and financial issues, I could not see it through. However, I am now retired and since I have most of the monkeys off my' back per see, I now want to see this through! Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Note: I cannot give any specifics to the location (i.e. which State, County or even creek) as it may lead others to this location.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I have been taking the pills and it is clearing up nicely."... Swallow the bottle!!!! Yea... this Frank adventure is quite a ways away. I got company coming in from MI. to TN. for a week. I do look forward to getting there though. And, yes I hope we can gett'em moved and find something... because I can't wait to be forgiven by you. I'm glad your Fiat is happy also. I believe I'm going back to my cave on Thursday and get some digging practice for Franks adventure.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"I have been taking the pills and it is clearing up nicely."... Swallow the bottle!!!! Yea... this Frank adventure is quite a ways away. I got company coming in from MI. to TN. for a week. I do look forward to getting there though. And, yes I hope we can gett'em moved and find something... because I can't wait to be forgiven by you. I'm glad your Fiat is happy also. I believe I'm going back to my cave on Thursday and get some digging practice for Franks adventure.

All the best Brad,
Be safe

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Frank, Brad,

A thought occurred to me, if you can get a two inch trash pump into the site and you could squeeze flat water hoses between the boulders, when you send water through them under pressure you will get enough room for a chock or pry bar.

Firefighters in UK do this all the time to get cars a couple of inches off the ground so they can get the jaws of life in there.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank, Brad,

A thought occurred to me, if you can get a two inch trash pump into the site and you could squeeze flat water hoses between the boulders, when you send water through them under pressure you will get enough room for a chock or pry bar.

Firefighters in UK do this all the time to get cars a couple of inches off the ground so they can get the jaws of life in there.

Kevin,

That is an excellent idea, thanks! I have highbanker/dredge that I plan on taking in to the site to dredge the clay out of the hole and from around the boulders. It has a Honda 3.5 HP Trash Pump that will pump a lot of water and your suggestion just might work. The good thing, is that my' Trash Pump is setup to and can run one or two highbankers or dredge lines at once. Therefore, we can run one hose down between the boulders and still run the highbanker or dredge portion at the same time!

Frank

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kevin,

That is an excellent idea, thanks! I have highbanker/dredge that I plan on taking in to the site to dredge the clay out of the hole and from around the boulders. It has a Honda 3.5 HP Trash Pump that will pump a lot of water and your suggestion just might work. The good thing, is that my' Trash Pump is setup to and can run one or two highbankers or dredge lines at once. Therefore, we can run one hose down between the boulders and still run the highbanker or dredge portion at the same time!

Frank

Or you can put two hoses next to each other and make a bigger gap if they don't ride over each other. If you can block them moving sideways you get 4 to 6 inches instead of just a couple. It might be just enough to bang in some big wedges with a sledge hammer, or rather watch Brad do it dde0a

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"or rather watch Brad do it"... I'll do whatever it takes within reason to get these rocks moved. Believe me... working out in the "open" will be a change. If anyone can crawl into a 55 gallon barrel sized hole for a LONG WAYS working there is a "piece of cake"... water be damned. Remember I said that guys. We'll get it done Frank... maybe not on 1st try but we'll walk away a WHOLE LOT SMARTER if we do fail.... IF!!!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"or rather watch Brad do it"... I'll do whatever it takes within reason to get these rocks moved. Believe me... working out in the "open" will be a change. If anyone can crawl into a 55 gallon barrel sized hole for a LONG WAYS working there is a "piece of cake"... water be damned. Remember I said that guys. We'll get it done Frank... maybe not on 1st try but we'll walk away a WHOLE LOT SMARTER if we do fail.... IF!!!

Brad

Have at it, you make a good point about being in the open. What do you look for in the caves?

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad

Have at it, you make a good point about being in the open. What do you look for in the caves?

The most common things you look for in a cave, are for things that can eat you and a place to go if there is a cave-in! LOL!! The problem with Brad's cave, is that there is no place to go, if you encounter either one.:sad5::BangHead:

Oh and I almost forgot. If you survive those, you look to see how much you shi... in your' pants.:icon_pale:

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well TNnet Folks,

The day is almost here for attempting to unclog the underground stream that is flowing through an eroding volcanic pipe and flows into the creek that I Gold prospect on! Brad, Jordan, Jordan's girlfriend and myself will meet Wednesday morning, then travel to near location of the site. Once parked, we will have to carry a lot of equipment in but will haul the heavier equipment loaded in a sturdy utility wagon or car, if I can get one. Otherwise, the highbanker/dredge and Honda 5.0 HP trash pump will have to stay behind at my' home. We will hike into the site, I will brief and give a tour to everyone of what to expect and the layout and we can hopefully come up with a good plan of attack. If all goes well, we will hopefully get some or all of the boulders out that are clogging the underground stream, removed and see what comes flowing out. I am all stoked up for the trip and hope that a lot of Gold, Silver, other heavy metals and precious Gems come spilling out from the underground stream. If so, we will probably sail down to the British Virgin Islands on my' new Super Yacht to meet BVI Hunter and drink some Ron Metusalem Rum (oh hell, a lot of rum) together.

Frank

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah!!!! I'm sitting here waiting for a report and what do I get? Zip... Zero... and nada! (As in nada damn thing!) Am I going to have to make a road trip and apply some boot where it's needed most? Oh wait... I can't do that right now as I've got gold to sluice up out here.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use a hydraulic spreader like the photo. Hate to point you to Harbor Freight but they sale a 10 ton kit that includes a spreader but not this size for under $200.00. With the kit you and lift, press, push, and spread. I mentioned this tool last week after someone needed to get down into a crevices and the spreader would allow you to spread the crevices open.

H-17%20Spreader%20Pump%20and%20Hose.jpg image_18845.jpg

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well folks, first off, let me apologize to Brad, Jordan and Kayla for pretty much of a bust on the adventure and I apologize to everyone here on TNnet and especially everyone that has pushed and prodded us to get this done and gave words of encouragement! Let's just say that when you have a secret place like this, don't spend soooo many years without visiting the site, so that you won't be surprised when you find that everything has changed from how you last left it.

I spent part of day Tuesday tracking down a somewhat suitable wagon, cart or pullable trailer (whichever you want to call it) to haul most of the equipment in to the site on, then the rest of the day getting things ready and loaded into my' truck. The Groundwork Heavy Duty Garden Dump Cart was on sale at Tractor Supply and is rated at 1,500 lb capacity but it wasn't truly suited for the task that we required of it or the terrain. Brad, Jordan and Kayla met me about 35 miles or so from the site at around 8:20 AM EDT, after some introductions and a bathroom break, we traveled to the Hotel where we were going to be staying and asked to leave Brad's car there. Instead, they let us check into the rooms early and we left our' personal gear and clothes there. We then traveled to the spot where we had to park and walk in from after a brief detour that is required (I can't devulge what the stop was for as it will give away too much information). After unloading the Utility Cart and equipment from my' truck and loading everything onto the cart that it could haul, we started our journey to the site. This was more than we had bargained for as crews had used some tractors on the old logging road to mow down weeds and brush, clear burnable debris (dead and downed trees and limbs) and even did some prescribed burning. Therefore, the old logging road was extremely rough from the work that the crews had done and also due to rooting from a fairly sized bunch of Wild Boar. This made pulling and pushing the cart the 1/2 mile or more very difficult. When we got to where we had to exit the old logging road onto a fire break to reach the site which was maybe another 300 yards downhill, we found that the fire break was completely covered by trees that were either downed by storms or disease. We tried clearing as much of the trees as we could but some were too big and unmovable. At this point, we decided to leave the cart behind for the time being and check out the site (the spot in the creek/stream where the underground stream that flows through an eroding volcanic pipe, flows into it). When we arrived, we were totally devastated to find that in my absence from visiting the site, Mother Nature in the form of total geography changing flash floods had completely changed the creek/stream. That the flash flood had washed out the roots of the large Spruce Tree which used to sit on the opposite bank from where I found the white/blue/grey clay causing it to topple over with it's top stuck in another tree and it's root base had slid backwards for a ways into the hole where we needed to dig down through the clay and remove the boulders. To surmise the situation, what was once a fairly large and deep hole but fairly easily workable hole (with the exception of the large boulders), was now completely filled and covered with several tons of large, medium and small rocks and overburden from the the flash floods. Also, where the hole was once so deep that you could not see the bottom, it now only had about 2 to 4 inches of water flowing across all of the debris left from the flash floods. Being that Mother Nature had completely changed the creek/stream and our plans of attack, we had to come up with another plan. Therefore, we started digging in the spot where I used to prospect in hopes of getting back down to the clay and eventually the boulders. Well, that was much easier said than done! We spent between 4 and 5 hours shoveling out the smaller rocks, silt and debris and using our' hands to remove larger rocks but it was slow going with Brad, Jordan and myself taking turns but usually two of us working at a time. Since we opened up paths upstream and downstream to allow the water to drain from the hole while we worked, it was hard to determine whether we were making any headway but we were. We had dug down several feet into the hole and took a break from the work for a sight seeing tour to visit a beautiful waterfall where I had panned for and found Gold many years ago. Well, we probably walked some 500 yards or more downstream (well past where the waterfall should have been) but never found the waterfall, so apparently the flash floods had completely destroyed it was well. We then returned to the hole and began digging again. Just when we had almost given up for the day, Jordan finally broke through a heavy layer of dense almost rock-like material with the shovel and brought out some of the whitish/grey clay. We all did a sort of jump for joy when we saw what Jordan brought up (yeah, we were that tired) and were somewhat elated. I had Jordan dump the material into my' Gold Classifier which was sitting on top of my' Gold Pan and I worked the material down into the Gold Pan and panned it out. Well, even though there was only one or two almost microscopic pieces of Gold that showed themselves at the top of the material, you would have thought that it was 100 ounces of Gold from the expressions on the faces of Brad, Jordan and Kayla! Hell, even I must have had a bit of a smile on my' face in just seeing their reaction to seeing the Gold! After that, we spent about another hour trying to get more clay out of the hole, me panning it out and finding a few more almost microscopic pieces of Gold before we quit for the day. We decided to leave the shovels, Gold Pans and Classifiers at the site and spent the next 1/2 hour or more pulling and pushing the Utility Cart loaded with equipment back to my' truck. We made the 23 mile trip back to the Hotel, got some much needed refreshments in the form of beer, took showers, went to eat, then pretty much collapsed in our' rooms. I awoke at around 5:15 AM and Brad shortly after and after showering again to try get the aching muscles and joints loosened up and moving again, Brad and I went to breakfast at Hardy's. After eating and due to being in so much pain from the day before, Brad and I decided to go back to the site to retrieve the left behind equipment and call the venture, pretty much a bust. I must say that it did not turn out how that we and I believe that all of you had hoped it would! Again, I apologize to you all and especially to Brad, Jordan and Kayla for not visiting the site more often, so that we would have known what to expect and maybe we could have planned the venture differently! However, no matter how hard we try to plan for something like this, you can never plan for the surprises that Mother Nature can leave for you.

I don't know that if Brad, Jordan and Kayla will ever make a trip to my' secret spot again but I plan to go there as time will permit and over time, to dig out the hole and get through the clay to the boulders. Once I reach the boulders and if needed, I will call on them again if they are willing. In the meantime, let's just say that this venture is a work in progress. If and when the time comes that the boulders can be extracted from the hole, I will again post this venture back on TNnet.

Many thanks to Brad, Jordan, Kayla and to everyone that was cheering us on!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
"What the frick?" - lol.

I think that is what we all said when we saw the devastation that the flash floods had done! We were so devastated by the sight, that we totally forgot about taking pics or videos as there wasn't anything worthwhile to take pics or video of. I believe that Kayla took one pic of Brad with him holding what he called his' Gold Nugget (just a large yellow/brown quartz rock). I am sure that Brad will post it for all to see! LOL!!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
As they say sh"t happens lol but at least you tried

We probably could have tried harder, especially myself! However, we were very dismayed and really, really hurting from the digging the day before. When I went a picked up my' smallest Gold Pan from my friend Tom on Tuesday, he indicated that he will probably only pan for Gold from here on out. He sold his' dredge about a year or more ago but still has a mini-highbanker that is small enough to pack into the site. I think I will try to purchase the mini-highbanker from him and if I get it, I may use it as is or try to convert it to a highbanker/dredge. Since the pump motor is so small, I am not sure that it will create much suction, so I may have to get one that is at least a little bigger to do the job but we will see.

Frank

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank,

That is a total drag that Mother Nature did you in! I've run into the same situation in the past from time to time so I know how you feel. You find a nice area and by the time you get back to it everything has changed.

Here in the desert, flash floods are a way of life. Usually if we get any rain there's flooding. The bad thing is that it doesn't even have to rain at your site as some of these washes run for miles and miles. Rain 20 miles away can come down the wash an really ruin your site. From the sounds of it you should be happy that you hadn't been working the site or had left any equipment there because it or you would be half way down the Mississippi after that flood!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread