Need input and advice on Eroding Volcanic Pipe that is producing Gold??!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Fellow TNnet Gold Prospecting Folk,

About 7 years ago while Gold prospecting in a creek, I found a spot where white/bluish/grey clay comes up into one location in the creek, which is the downstream, shallower portion of a deeper hole! Knowing that usually the white/buish/grey clay contains Gold, I began digging some of the clay out and panning it down. This is no easy task as each full shovel full of the clay, must weigh in at 35 pounds or more. Well, once getting down 12 inches or more, I noticed that I was getting some color in the Gold Pan as well as some other possible heavy metals. After making some inquiries as to where the clay is coming from since this is the only spot on this creek or in the entire area with this white/bluish/grey clay, I was told by several Gold Prospectors and some others with backgrounds in Geology, that I may have found an eroding Volcanic Pipe. The problem I am having, is that if it is an eroding Volcanic Pipe, the exit of the pipe into the creek is about 3/4's blocked by large boulders. When I dig out the clay in the hole until I can dig no more due to the boulders, I then have to quit digging in this location. However, if I return a month or so later and there has been some rains, the hole is again full of the clay and I can dig, classify and pan it out. There was supposed to have been a Gold Mine in this area back in the 1800's to early 1900's but since I have looked everywhere in the area for the Gold Mine and can't find it, I am thinking that this hole in the creek, is the actual mine location and someone blocked the exit of the Volcanic Pipe into the creek for several reasons. One, they may have blocked it to prevent the loss of Gold downstream, so that they could come back some day and get more Gold but never did. Two, they blocked it for safety purposes as the exit of the Volcanic pipe may be unstable and someone could actually fall into and disappear in the hole. Whatever the case, I would like to extract some if not all of the boulders from the hole, so that the clay that is being brought into the creek from the eroding Volcanic Pipe, will flow more freely and I can get more Gold and the other possible heavy metals. What would you advise for me to do concerning trying to unblock the exit into the creek? Is this a good idea or a bad idea? How would you go about doing this as some of the boulders probably weigh in at 300 to 500 pounds? Keep in mind that I am not stupid and that if I attempt to unblock the exit of the Volcanic Pipe into the creek, I will have myself tied off to a large tree that is at least 30 yards or more from the hole! I surely don't want to fall into such a hole but at the same time, I want to make it where it (the Volcanic Pipe) will give up the Gold and other possible heavy metals more easily. I have spent too many years contemplating this delimma but due to work, family matters and financial issues, I could not see it through. However, I am now retired and since I have most of the monkeys off my' back per see, I now want to see this through! Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Note: I cannot give any specifics to the location (i.e. which State, County or even creek) as it may lead others to this location.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank,

That is a total drag that Mother Nature did you in! I've run into the same situation in the past from time to time so I know how you feel. You find a nice area and by the time you get back to it everything has changed.

Here in the desert, flash floods are a way of life. Usually if we get any rain there's flooding. The bad thing is that it doesn't even have to rain at your site as some of these washes run for miles and miles. Rain 20 miles away can come down the wash an really ruin your site. From the sounds of it you should be happy that you hadn't been working the site or had left any equipment there because it or you would be half way down the Mississippi after that flood!

goldenIrishman,

Thanks for the words of sympathy, understanding and encouragement! I am not sure some others feel that way and feel that it was a big let down. Well, it was a big let down for me, Brad, Jordan and Kayla! It seems like you have pretty much been in the same or similar situation more than once and know how it feels.

While Mother Nature devastated my' secret spot and pretty much the whole creek/stream, I am trying to look on the brighter side! She may have actually done me a favor because once I dig out all of the rocks and overburden in the hole, then dig through the clay, I will actually be able to see the boulders that are clogging the flow from the underground stream. Once I have gotten the boulders cleared of the clay and can see how they are positioned, I may be able to extract them from the mouth of the underground stream by myself but if not, I will call on help to get them out. I will be sure that I secure myself to a large tree that is at least 20 to 30 yards away with a rope and harness, just in case of a collapse when some of the boulders are removed. This is only being safe and prudent since I no idea as to whether the underground stream enters my' secret spot in the creek/stream from upstream, underneath or somewhat from the side. I am thinking the best plan for the clay, would be to classify it into 5 gallon buckets to remove as much of the rocks as possible and catch any Gems. I will haul the buckets out, then process everything at home to get the Gold and any other heavy metals out. At the same time, I will recoup all of the clay, so I can extract the Silver from it as I am sure that there is some and recoup the clay again for possible sales to Beauty Spas and Sculpturers. Can anyone tell me whether drying the clay, mixing borax in it, then torching the mixture to get the Silver to bubble and clump, will harm the clay? If it will harm the clay to where it cannot be sold, then I will have to determine whether the ratio of Silver extracted from it is more valuable than the clay itself! If not, then I will not process anymore of the clay for extracting the Silver than what it takes to determine the value ratio.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot to mention that when Brad and I went back to my' secret spot on Thursday to retrieve my' equipment, we came across another set of tracks on the old logging road other than the Wild Boar tracks. Whatever it was, it was a big cat as the claws were retracted in every paw print. I can't be sure but I believe that it was a Mountain Lion as this area is a little far South from where some Black Panthers were released in the 60's. I would much rather it be a Black Panther as they usually very shy and seldom seen and I really don't want to encounter a Mountain Lion if and when I make it back to my' secret spot! I am a long range shooter but I believe that it is time that I purchase a pistiol or revolver and get a Carry Permit.

Frank

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, a few facts, Clay is almost as efficient as mercury to trap and hold Gold , no it doesn't amalgamate the Golf.- keep it out of your sluces. This means that possibly your clay is trapping any gold that moves over the area??

Regarding the boulders needing to be split, or to insert anchors, use the same technique that the old Spanish did, There were two, but fire probably wouldn't work under water.. So just single jack a hole then drive a wooden wedge into the hole keep it wet, as it absorbs water it wedges it self to the point where the rock can fracture before pulling out.

Second way is to simply drilll a series of holes in a line, insert the wooden plugs, keep them wet, and soon it will crack the rock..

To form the little dams for the pegs, use that clay.

not a big problem as far as I can see it. initial equipment needed 'a heavy hammer and a large dia. masonary drill. plus a clueless Jarhead' to do the hammering. Terry or my friend Red James must be good for something :icon_scratch::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, a few facts, Clay is almost as efficient as mercury to trap and hold Gold , no it doesn't amalgamate the Golf.- keep it out of your sluces. This means that possibly your clay is trapping any gold that moves over the area??

Regarding the boulders needing to be split, or to insert anchors, use the same technique that the old Spanish did, There were two, but fire probably wouldn't work under water.. So just single jack a hole then drive a wooden wedge into the hole keep it wet, as it absorbs water it wedges it self to the point where the rock can fracture before pulling out.

Second way is to simply drilll a series of holes in a line, insert the wooden plugs, keep them wet, and soon it will crack the rock..

To form the little dams for the pegs, use that clay.

not a big problem as far as I can see it. initial equipment needed 'a heavy hammer and a large dia. masonary drill. plus a clueless Jarhead' to do the hammering. Terry or my friend Red James must be good for something :icon_scratch::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

Don Jose de La Mancha

That is very good advice and info! Thanks! I am not sure whether even a clueless Jarhead would want to come to my' secret spot and do the hammering, considering that there may be a Mountain Lion lurking in the area. The tracks were probably 300 yards or less from the site and headed in that general direction.

Oh and I wanted to note, that there is no Gold moving over this area in the creek/stream as I have panned almost to the head of the creek/stream and never found any Gold upstream from my' secret spot. I have tried to theorize about where the underground stream that is bringing the Gold and clay into the creek/stream actually lays below ground. During our time there, I noticed a depression as in an old stream bed extending from my' secret spot (hole) upstream and somewhat paralleling the actual creek/stream bed. I don't remember seeing this depression during all of the other times I worked the site, so it may have been caused by the devastating flash flood event and may not be related to the underground stream. Also, there is another similar depression about 80 yards across the hollow which is fairly flat in it's width which could have been created when the creek/stream flash flooded but it is possible that it is the original stream bed. Due to the location of the creek/stream, digging outside of it is not allowed but I think I could get away with a couple of test digs as long as I fill the holes back in and cover them with leaves and limbs.

Frank

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
huntsman53/aka Frank,
A very interesting story of friendship and team work as well as the Aw Shucks feeling of finding that "your spot" had been ravaged by Ma Nature and made almost completely un-workable. You are not the only one to have something like this happen so take a bit of hope from that, at least you still know where the site is and will be able to work at it from time to time.

This year I made two trips to a creek to relocate a spot along the creek only I could never find it. Several years ago I tried several times to locate a section of old stream bed up on a hillside but could never locate. So bolster up your courage and have at it again just as you plan on doing. Maybe an 8000 pound capacity ratchet hoist will help clear some of the logs to make it easier to get through and AZViper posted a neat looking hydraulic wedge that could help separate boulders. In other words there is still hope and various means to make this adventure work! Best of success and stay safe!...................63bkpkr

P.S. I mentioned the 8000 lb. ratchet hoist as I own one and it is a real solid tool and performs some amazing feats of moving "stuff". The 4000 lb unit fell apart in one season.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Frank.... I tried to download the picture of the 29.9 lb. solid gold nugget I found but my computer USB post won't read my card....? And since I forgot to carry it out I can't get another pic. I'm sure we'll find it next time we go back. It was to heavy to carry anyway. Enough B.S.....

We'll go back Frank... but next time we'll know a little better what we're up against. If we can get that HUGE tree truck out and maybe divert some of the water around one side of the creek we'd make some progress. At least we did get a few flakes and we didn't hardly even scratch the surface. Your "changing creek" was much like my "cave landslide" when discovered. They both SUCKED!!!!! I got a feeling both happened at the same point in time. I just happened to discover mine first and yours was shared with us present. Jordon, Kayla and I all still want to help you again.... but obviously we got some other work to do first. But at least we'll go back for round 2 a lot "smarter". I'd give anything (almost) to have my step sons industrial backhoe take ONE scoop. The tires are around 10ft high and the bucket is HUGE. One scoop and that tree and any boulders down to about 10ft WOULD BE GONE, INSTANTLY!!!! You'd be panning for the rest of your life. Oh yea.... please help me to remember to get that huge nugget I forgot next trip.... Thank You. ... Brad

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
TNnet folks,

I am sorry that it took so long to get the picture of Brad with his' 29.9 lb. Gold Nugget! Please don't tell him that it is just a rock and not a Gold Nugget and let him continue to dream. If it were a real Gold Nugget, it would have weighed a lot more than 29.9 lbs.! Oh well, maybe next time, we will find some real Gold Nuggets.

Frank

Brads Big Gold Nugget.jpg

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Frank,

One mans trash is another mans treasure, I thought you knew that. It looks like pure gold to me especially in the background!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TNnet folks,

I am sorry that it took so long to get the picture of Brad with his' 29.9 lb. Gold Nugget! Please don't tell him that it is just a rock and not a Gold Nugget and let him continue to dream. If it were a real Gold Nugget, it would have weighed a lot more than 29.9 lbs.! Oh well, maybe next time, we will find some real Gold Nuggets.

Frank

Ok Frank.... It might have weighed more (+/- 30lbs) but it was heavy and we had a lot of **** to get back out and the Gold Nugget had to wait. It had better be there when we go back... I know where I hid it!!!! Oh yea.... I got my flashlight you sent back... And thank you buddy!!!! I had fun Frank and we'll do it again. Thanks for the trip .... Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread