How often do you prospect?

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know that we have a myriad of prospectors here, from the just-getting-started to the hardcore grizzled old-timer. How many times a month do you need to get out there and dig to satisfy the craving of gold fever?

For me, one weekend a month whether it be just the Saturday or even a Saturday-Sunday combo just ain't cutting it anymore. It is a three hour trek for me to get to my claim and future plans call for relocating to an area closer to the dig site. Sigh!

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
For me I try to get out at least three weekends a month to check out possible claim sites and run some dirt. Once I get everything set up for the area we are going to be claiming this spring I'll be out there Monday thru Friday working and coming home on the odd week to run cons. Weekends will be for supply runs and family time. Of course the weather here lately has been pretty rotten as I'm not real fond of the cold. I'd rather be working in 100+ weather (with lots of water of course) than in the cold.

I'm sure that for a lot of the guys up north, winter is really rough. They've got to be "Jonesing" for a fix at those areas they can't get into because of the snow. At least I can get out most of the year.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
When the weather permits (50+degree) twice a week. Unemployed-wood cutting for local folks when they order, hopefully things will change.

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospect twice a week. Work on prospecting equipment/ideas every day. Thinking about prospecting all the time.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospect twice a week. Work on prospecting equipment/ideas every day. Thinking about prospecting all the time.
Same here, sometimes more often due to there being gold in all the creeks around me in metro Denver...so convenient that even in the depths of winter there are nice days with gold calling me...kum-n-git-it! My prospecting is often my lunch break or end of work day stress relief. Weekends are usually focused on my wife :)

Edit: Jealous of GoldandBill (below) as I get about 1/10gram per hour here in town in the good spots.

Last edited:

goldandbill

Dec 2, 2013
Gold Beach,OR
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 7 and Mine Lab Eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the SW Oregon coast we work the ocean beaches in the winter, if we have enough run off at the freshests on the beach, we go every day we can. The more the better, as a good day for me at age 70+ is 2-4 hours, which can net 2-3 grams. Much more if the conditions are right.

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, sometimes more often due to there being gold in all the creeks around me in metro Denver...so convenient that even in the depths of winter there are nice days with gold calling me...kum-n-git-it! My prospecting is often my lunch break or end of work day stress relief. Weekends are usually focused on my wife :)

Edit: Jealous of GoldandBill (below) as I get about 1/10gram per hour here in town in the good spots.

Yeah, I know what you mean about "stress relief" after work. Sometimes I'll head up river after work, after dark, and prospect with an LED headlamp. It may be dark, but its still early! Get home and do a clean out. The yellow metal has a way of taking the stress out. :icon_thumright:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
52 - I had a routine job that allowed me to build up vacation time, so come mining season I would take 2 days every week. That's heading out after work on Wednesday at 4pm, arriving at camp/claim in time to set up, and be ready for digging thurs thru sun. at noon.
p.s. The house and yard still show the signs of neglect from those years - lol. And my boss learned not to expect much of me on Mondays.

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Laughing at FullPan.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, kazcoro - I crack myself up thinking how addicted I was back in those days ! Which reminds me of my last year before retiring from that job. A temporary hire was a twenty-something kid who I was supposed to train. He was as lazy as they come nowadays, and I had to ride him all the time. Finally, I asked him why he didn't put out more effort. He said he goes to the gym everyday to bodybuild, and didn't want to tire himself out at work. :tongue3:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I remember one of those. Mr. got bit by a spider when in all actuallity, he had a reaction to an injection of get big juice. I just laugh at him. It's one thing to be big, another to actually use brain and brawn together. A big, dumb lever, or a slightly smaller, smart lever? Not much of a choice there.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2x a month makes my skin crawl. 4x a month is ok. 8x a month great!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, I know what you mean about "stress relief" after work. Sometimes I'll head up river after work, after dark, and prospect with an LED headlamp. It may be dark, but its still early! Get home and do a clean out. The yellow metal has a way of taking the stress out. :icon_thumright:
Exactly! My only limit is the Open Space parks all close at dusk...otherwise it would be fun to dig with a headlamp!

2x a month makes my skin crawl. 4x a month is ok. 8x a month great!
sounds exactly right :) although when the days are long in May/June/July I've been known to go out every day. My wife thinks that's a bit obsessed but "obviously" she's wrong eh guys? LoL

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got gold ten days in row once. Your in good company!

OP
OP
MinerFortyNiner1952

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's the thing about prospecting and digging for gold. For that brief period of time, there is no rest of the world. So peaceful, so solitary, so carefree.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prospect as much as my wife will let me get away with, which is about every other weekend. I tried to get her involved but there are bugs at the river and there is dirt. (she is such a city girl lol)
I'd like to make her new hobby weighing gold, maybe that would get me out more ;)

Santa Baby just slip a BGT under the tree
for me..
Been an awful good boy, Santa Baby
So hurry down the chimney tonight!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I prospect as much as my wife will let me get away with, which is about every other weekend. I tried to get her involved but there are bugs at the river and there is dirt. (she is such a city girl lol) I'd like to make her new hobby weighing gold, maybe that would get me out more ;) Santa Baby just slip a BGT under the tree for me.. Been an awful good boy, Santa Baby So hurry down the chimney tonight!

Too funny! Congrats on the Bazooka Goldtrap, they do really well here in CO so it should suit you well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread