How often do you prospect?

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know that we have a myriad of prospectors here, from the just-getting-started to the hardcore grizzled old-timer. How many times a month do you need to get out there and dig to satisfy the craving of gold fever?

For me, one weekend a month whether it be just the Saturday or even a Saturday-Sunday combo just ain't cutting it anymore. It is a three hour trek for me to get to my claim and future plans call for relocating to an area closer to the dig site. Sigh!

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I got out today after all. only two hours before the winter weather came in but that was enough to be a good workout :) I also took a minute to take some pics of my dig site. Enjoy! View attachment 919683 My upstream hole and the dam. The Bazooka goes in the gap in the dam at the top of the photo

View attachment 919684 The downstream hole. The sandstone bedrock is only about a foot or so down so I am carefully scraping the bottom of the hole as I go. At the upper left of this pic you can see that i have channelized the outflow of the bazooka so the tailings flow past my downstream hole instead of into it!

Kevin nice rock work there. About two more berms and you'd have yourself a fish ladder! Keep up the good work and plenty of AU to you.

Goldenmojo

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks! Shame there are no fish in the creek...nothing but crayfish. Even the crayfish like my work though, they always move into the holes if I leave 'em unfilled overnight. PS I went out again yesterday and moved the sluice to the center of the dam (and blocked the old sluice gap in the dam). My tailings fell into the downstream hole and pretty much filled it back in. Sure was nice to dig without having to clear tailings every now and then.
image-2283398361.jpg
Here's the new scene (I'm standing where the sluice used to sit) including the fresh snow!

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love seeing that snow on the ground. But
Brrr Fu¢k...
Also nice to see pics again :-)
Here's my little take from Saturday.
And ya can't say we don't clean lead from the rivers and streams

Attachments

• image-2411275122.jpg
    image-2411275122.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 68
  • image-27601260.jpg
    image-27601260.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 83

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks good Kevin. I'll be looking for some pics of the last day total.
Happy to oblige sir! Here's the gold from the last four quick outings to that same hole: 12/26, 12/27, 12/28 and 12/30. A total of maybe 5 hours or so and 1/3 of a gram. I was most excited about that big flake as you can imagine. Fun to get a mini picker there.

image-101057112.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aww, I see it now. No pic last time I looked. Gold like that everyday would darn sure have me coming back for more. Live long and prospect sir!:icon_thumleft:
thanks, I will! ...and it sure does call out to me daily!

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly, due to my location in SC and the job, i dont get out but maybe twice a year. Three times if im lucky. Only get to go to Thermal City since I dont know any land owners and its at least a 3.5 hr drive to the closest decent spot. Only place i know i can sluice is at Thermal.

Consider yourselves lucky! Lol. Im jealous and just try to make it out when i can for a few full days at a time. These threads on this site along with peoples pics and videos (AB) gets me by when i cant be out on a creek. That and rerunning all my cons i have with a small amount of fine gold thrown in to keep my panning skills up and to test my designs i try and tinker with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread