Its gold but what is it?

iamgman

Jul 2, 2013
Went down last summer prospecting one of our claims. Heres some of the gold we got the and a gold artifact. The creek is in a well known area in the sierra's near downieville. It was found down in a crack in the stream with the larger quartz nugget shown. Its fairly thin. I previously posted this on another site and the best guess i heard was maybe a link to a watch or bracelet. Any guesses?
goldartifact_zps4c6cfe55.jpeg
[/URL]
goldartifactback_zpsc9aff413.jpeg
[/URL]
image_zps56fef8d4.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its part of the mythical golden pull tab that all us Metal Detectorists are looking for?

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool! my best guess is a snuff/tobacco box/ pill box. with the tiny hinged lid, they came in a thousand differnt designs, but being gold, it was owned by someone with a lot of gold!

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Loco oro. I have seen tin snuff boxes with similar designs but made of tin. They are quite small about the size of a half dollar. It looks like the lid of one. Nice find and nice gold. Thanks for sharing.

Goldslagger

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went down last summer prospecting one of our claims. Heres some of the gold we got the and a gold artifact. The creek is in a well known area in the sierra's near downieville. It was found down in a crack in the stream with the larger quartz nugget shown. Its fairly thin. I previously posted this on another site and the best guess i heard was maybe a link to a watch or bracelet. Any guesses? [/URL] [/URL] [/URL]

Think the watchband sounds about right. Pattern is a tooled floral typical for southwestern jewelery and leather tooling

OP
OP
I

iamgman

Jul 2, 2013
Interesting. Never thought of it as a lid of sorts to a sniff box or whatever. You can definately see where it was soldered onto something larger. Its awfully thin for a watch band so I been questioning that.

Goldslagger

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Never thought of it as a lid of sorts to a sniff box or whatever. You can definately see where it was soldered onto something larger. Its awfully thin for a watch band so I been questioning that.

Mysteries. I had a couple of watch bands years ago made of silver. They had small plates soldiered over the link pin where the band attached to the watch and looked similar. It wasn't the actual link. Just a vaneer. Whatever it is, you found a treasure !

OP
OP
I

iamgman

Jul 2, 2013
Mysteries. I had a couple of watch bands years ago made of silver. They had small plates soldiered over the link pin where the band attached to the watch and looked similar. It wasn't the actual link. Just a vaneer. Whatever it is, you found a treasure !

Maybe we will find more of it this summer ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread