ARE YOU FINDING ANYTHING?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While prospecting not many days go by that I don't encounter someone that asks "Are You Finding Anything". Since this forum covers a wide territory I was wondering if anyone had a standard phrase they use in those situations. Mine is simply "Specks".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
N8 as far as you hike in you probably have sayings like get outta here bear.....

Surprisingly I've only run into one bear and one lion on my trips... they were very very close encounters though. Both within 10 ft... I didn't really have sayings more like really loud noises followed by cursing. For the lion it was all of that , pulling my hunting knife out walking relatively fast in the opposite direction and saying "I ****ING HATE CATS!!!" Over and over until I was far far away lol.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We usually say, "Not enough to write home about." and it's usually the truth. Most of the people on the river we frequent are too busy smoking weed, frolicking naked on the rocks or dropping bongs and bottles into the water to care about us though. You'd think the rangers would be busier enforcing rules about all of that and not sitting in their air conditioned shacks saying "pans and hands only".

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We usually say, "Not enough to write home about." and it's usually the truth. Most of the people on the river we frequent are too busy smoking weed, frolicking naked on the rocks or dropping bongs and bottles into the water to care about us though. You'd think the rangers would be busier enforcing rules about all of that and not sitting in their air conditioned shacks saying "pans and hands only".

You aint lived till you panned in the nude!!!!

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ha. That will make most people turn and run.....

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
Found a guy on my claim once. First thing I said was " You doing this for a living? " He replied, "yes" I asked,
" How's that working out for you? " He replied "not good"

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You aint lived till you panned in the nude!!!!

LOL! If I was in a secluded spot and not a state park in an area frequented by hikers and families I totally would! It's a whole other thing to be snorkeling in a pool to look up and see a whole different set of nuggets swinging your direction as a happy couple strips and lollops and splashes into your area. Was pretty rude actually. The last time I went there I was cut by glass by a shattered bong. I'm all for freedom, but in public locations you have to limit some of it out of respect for the whole community. For instance wearing clothes in public and not smoking in places of business and the like. Was really sad to see one of my favorite spots as a kid turned into a party dump.

.... and now back to our topic. Do people ever try and watch over your guy's shoulders?

DigginDownUnder

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually keep away from places where I might run into people. When I do it's generally an old (farmer) guy, then I will go out of my way for a chat, I show them my finds if they are interested, and explain what I'm looking for etc.

This has worked out really well on a couple if occasions for me, and have lead to a new site.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only people I've ever ran into are the ones I planned on.....except a dfg ranger once when we we're dredging he actually laughed when I flipped over and cussed at him for scaring me and ruining my zen... He was laughing at me and said my partner had done the same thing. He was a really nice guy checked our permits and was on his way after bull$hitting for ten minutes or so.

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow. Dredgezen for a living.............

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i never get encountered since im on private property, but if i did get encountered often it would be along the lines of " I keep finding a bunch of people interrupting my prospecting rhythm"

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
About a dollar....

Unfortunatly , its the truth:BangHead:

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A group of beautiful young women came floating by on a raft a couple of weeks ago and asked if we were getting lucky. Our reply was ...censored.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread