Interesting call with Forest service.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, in doing my due diligence, I called my local forest service to get latest info on an area I want to explore.
The Angeles forest had the major Station fire back in 2009, and apparently many areas are still closed for rehab.

But the area I want to check out is not closed. fine.

The scary part was all the questions I was getting asked as far as what I was planning on doing in the area. I made no reference as to what I REALLY wanted to do, only that I wanted to go hike the canyon, and the lady on the phone, although nice, just kept trying to come up with reasons why I should not go up there.

"What are you going to do up there" she asks.
"oh just hike and take pictures" I say.
"are you a professional photographer?"
"no"
"because if you are and you're going to publish the photos in any way - you need a permit"
"nope not a professional"
"when are you going" she asked
"I don't have a set date yet, just doing my home work on the area"
"Well it may be best that you don't go up there cuz it's pretty overgrown. I've been up there"
"and there have been sightings of coyotes and a mountain lion"
"I'm not too worried about them - I'm more concern about other humans" I say
and I'm thinking to myself, if you've been up there, then I can go up there!!

"Are you going for just the day?"
"yes"
"how far do you intend to go?"
"I don't know yet"
"you'll need an adventure pass to park your car"
"Indeed - thank you for that reminder"

Anyway, just seems like she was trying to keep me out no matter what I was doing up there.
Left a bad taste in my mouth.

I fear what she would say if I mentioned I was going to go prospecting!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since it is new there is no stated policy about gold prospecting. Generally, as I understand it, filing claims is out, but searching open areas is ok.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure free passes now, and once we all go along with that, they will have a small fee, that will go up, and then they will limit how many are sold. Tip of the iceberg, my friends.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I still want to know what that area was made a national monument for. By definition a monument is established to either remember a famous event or person. I still consider this as nothing more than a 350,000 acre land grab by Obummer and company. They couldn't keep the illegals and pot growers out of there when it was national forest, so why do they think making it a national monument is going to change anything? It is nothing more than a monumental screwing of the public.

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all.

The area I was inquiring about does not fall within the new San Gabriel Monument Land grab.
It's all open and records I have found show no additional restrictions (historical or mineral purposes).

As much as I would enjoy pulling a "sting" phone call on them, I fear it would come back on me (or prospectors) some how. So, no go for me. I like to fly low on the radar as much as possible.

BUT - I'm rounding up all government docs regarding rules and restrictions for where I will be going, stating it IS OK, and keep them in my pack. And if I happen to get razed by a Ranger or some other "official" person. I will show them the papers and ask that they show me THEIR papers that trump mine. THEN maybe I'll listen.
And I will also have a Video camera on the whole time, recording it all :hello:

Clay,
Can you dig up anything on paper that backs you up?
I GREATLY want to print that and hang it from my mirror when I go out.
And I will too.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay,
Can you dig up anything on paper that backs you up?
I GREATLY want to print that and hang it from my mirror when I go out.
And I will too.

Sure, I always have the docs to back up what I write... somewhere. :dontknow:

:dontknow:

:dontknow:

Ah here they are complete downloads of the 9th Circuit Courts opinion in April 2014. :thumbsup:

Heck looky there... It's been a year since the Court ordered the Forest Service to stop!
This is more fun than the Bundy anniversary. We already won in Court. :laughing7:

There are more court decisions and of course the U.S. Law that says they can't charge you. I think what you have there is more than enough to put them on notice.

Why not print some out and pass them around the next time you're out for a picnic? They might call it littering but as far as I can tell it's really just political speech already protected by the First Amendment.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BUT - I'm rounding up all government docs regarding rules and restrictions for where I will be going,

Try downloading the Master Title Plat (MTP) for your area of interest. The MTP is the government's map of all the federal land status (including restrictions) in that 36 square mile Township. The map will graphically show you where the areas that have restrictions are.

You can download that California Land Status Map with the MTPs from the Land Matters Land Status Maps page.

Heavy Pans

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Calling FS is always an unwise decision, especially telling them specifically where you plan to
be. You can expect a "welcoming" reception to inspect everything in your possession. When
that fails expect clandestine activities to begin if you do camp. Multiple agencies are mobilized
to find an excuse for fines and confiscation. If you think I'm kidding it happened to my buddy
and I at Lynx Creek a few years ago.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahahah in ignorance there is bliss-National Recreation Areas that provide toilets,tables and water can/will/always have required admittance or passes-Whiskeytown-Castle Crags-Yellowstone-Yosemite on and on and on. Educate before pontificate as nuttn' nowhere is pure bs-John

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hahahah in ignorance there is bliss-National Recreation Areas that provide toilets,tables and water can/will/always have required admittance or passes-Whiskeytown-Castle Crags-Yellowstone-Yosemite on and on and on. Educate before pontificate as nuttn' nowhere is pure bs-John

The adventure pass applies to National Forest lands John. Not Recreation Areas or National Parks like Whiskeytown or Yosmite. Wrong subject wrong thread.

Toilets, tables and water are not enough to charge a fee for. Read the court decision, or better yet the law, before you mislead more people.

Ignorance is not bliss.
Educate yourself before you pontificate.

Heavy Pans

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Free or not John the passes are illegal and not required for parking.

Heavy Pan

Here in the Police State of Washington we have this thing called a Discover pass. For a paltry $30 you can gain permission to access State owned or managed lands. This includes State forests and DNR and Dept. of wildlife managed areas. If you venture by vehicle into these areas without the pass (even if you dont stop) it is a moving violation. If you park without a pass it is a civil infraction. I still have my ticket to prove this. This year there was a bill to tack on $5 to the DP if you wanted to collect rocks on State land.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here in the Police State of Washington we have this thing called a Discover pass. For a paltry $30 you can gain permission to access State owned or managed lands. This includes State forests and DNR and Dept. of wildlife managed areas. If you venture by vehicle into these areas without the pass (even if you dont stop) it is a moving violation. If you park without a pass it is a civil infraction. I still have my ticket to prove this. This year there was a bill to tack on $5 to the DP if you wanted to collect rocks on State land.

State lands are governed by State laws - not Federal laws. The State can make any laws they wish governing their property. State lands are neither public lands nor are they National Forests.

The Federal Court rulings on public land fees have nothing to do with State lands, laws or regulations. Apples and Oranges, different subject than the one being discussed here.

If you don't like your State's laws or fees you will need to deal with that within your State's legal system, the Federal courts can't help you.

Heavy Pans

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was actually replying to HoJo's comment but your point is understood.... my point is that recreation lands are disappearing be it federal, state or private.
The list pf passes is mind boggling
America the Beautiful Interagency Pass ($80)
Discover Pass ($30)
Forest pass
Trailhead pass
Senior pass
Golden eagle
...I dont even want to think about all of them and I bet no one can mane them all
I dont buy any of them and if stopped I loudly tell the pimple face brat in the green jeep to KMA

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While parking fees are a concern, access and mining regs are a far greater threat.

This weekend's outing went well until a conversation with the ranger at the car as we were leaving. "It's all illegal...you're not even supposed to go here... Forest is closed for fire recovery..."

He "let us go with a warning ..." So that makes it ok-not! We were following the laws so no need to do that, thank you. Forest policy of no mining , no motorized, no no no... Can't abide by that.

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Bummer Goldog. Sorry to hear that.
Didn't you talk to another ranger who said that area is open and "no parking" signs were to be removed?
Ask a different person - get a different answer. :BangHead:
Take names and badge numbers from every official you speak to.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I sure did. Now it's time to get my ducks In a row and defend my rights. It's difficult to get a straight answer but we will.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Join Public Lands for the People (PLP), Get a PLP card and follow the directions, send a copy to PLP as well, go to their website and read you'll understand why.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes a conversation with the PLP is my next move. I wasn't personally speaking with the ranger Saturday. It was probably for the best in this instance since it wasn't my equipment. I'd hate for my actions to cause trouble for a friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread