Interesting call with Forest service.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, in doing my due diligence, I called my local forest service to get latest info on an area I want to explore.
The Angeles forest had the major Station fire back in 2009, and apparently many areas are still closed for rehab.

But the area I want to check out is not closed. fine.

The scary part was all the questions I was getting asked as far as what I was planning on doing in the area. I made no reference as to what I REALLY wanted to do, only that I wanted to go hike the canyon, and the lady on the phone, although nice, just kept trying to come up with reasons why I should not go up there.

"What are you going to do up there" she asks.
"oh just hike and take pictures" I say.
"are you a professional photographer?"
"no"
"because if you are and you're going to publish the photos in any way - you need a permit"
"nope not a professional"
"when are you going" she asked
"I don't have a set date yet, just doing my home work on the area"
"Well it may be best that you don't go up there cuz it's pretty overgrown. I've been up there"
"and there have been sightings of coyotes and a mountain lion"
"I'm not too worried about them - I'm more concern about other humans" I say
and I'm thinking to myself, if you've been up there, then I can go up there!!

"Are you going for just the day?"
"yes"
"how far do you intend to go?"
"I don't know yet"
"you'll need an adventure pass to park your car"
"Indeed - thank you for that reminder"

Anyway, just seems like she was trying to keep me out no matter what I was doing up there.
Left a bad taste in my mouth.

I fear what she would say if I mentioned I was going to go prospecting!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only thing more unclear than the FS website is the Rangers. As far as I can tell there are no current Station fire closures. While the notice is still showing on their website the final closure expired about a year ago. Unimproved areas are hard to find info on. It seems they would rather all visitors stay in or on designated areas/trails.

Did you happen to get her title. I've found the District Ranger tends to give better info. There have been some personnel changes this year so things are a bit chaotic.

I'll fill in. "Sure, you can go "hiking". You know, there are bears too. Hope you're lucky enough to see one.

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like dealing with the majority of Gov entities. Prove yourself innocent and then we'll determine what rights you should have. Bunch of BS if you ask me.
AjR

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct Mr Goldog.

Funny you should ask, next time I talk to any government rep who is telling me what I can and cannot do, I will be taking there Full name and title down and logging it all. time and date and quotes.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely Russ,got mine and used dozens of times, also another called Senior Passport They are only required in specific areas and not good in others also. Like dealing with all bureauratz rules changing constantly sic sic sic as most NOT correct or legal in the first place. Go to Ranger station/website and get the rules/regs in writing and keep in your backpak/vehicle as much needed to fight ignorance-John

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Other than the adventure pass, all of her statements are unnecessary. I thought you called her to ask questions.

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why, if you are a professional photographer would you need a permit to take pictures?

Indeed Armchair,

All the Taxes we've paid and our Parents and Grandparents have paid, have created this forest and it's roads..
Our ancestors busted there arsses to pave these roads and set aside these forests for us.
So it's ours to use, right?

So why tax me to park on roads we have already paid for and still paying to maintain?
Why tax me to take pictures of this forest we have all paid for already? It's ours to take pictures of for crying out loud !!

Tax the tourists who come from other countries to take pictures and park in our forests.
Now that makes sense.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Requiring an Adventure Pass for parking is illegal. The forest has been ordered by two federal courts and Congress to stop the illegal practice. You can not be fined or prosecuted if you do not pay the fake "fee" being charged.

Adventure pass fees go directly into the pocket of the local forest district. Parking fees are highway robbery. Please stop making these illegal donations to enrich the Forest managers.

Heavy Pans

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While I don't disagree on the parking pass Clay, that's the least of our worries. (BTW, I believe you don't need one on multiple grounds. Even by their rules.) No parking signs everywhere which I was told should have been removed, closed areas by decree and on and on.

Misinterpretation of mining laws, ambiguous regs, Nat'l Monument status, etc...

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I completely disagree with the parking pass, access permit or whatever they want to call it.
This is only a method to take away our rights and them sell them back to you. This is PUBLIC LAND, we already own it

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, in doing my due diligence, I called my local forest service to get latest info on an area I want to explore.
The Angeles forest had the major Station fire back in 2009, and apparently many areas are still closed for rehab.

But the area I want to check out is not closed. fine.

The scary part was all the questions I was getting asked as far as what I was planning on doing in the area. I made no reference as to what I REALLY wanted to do, only that I wanted to go hike the canyon, and the lady on the phone, although nice, just kept trying to come up with reasons why I should not go up there.

"What are you going to do up there" she asks.
"oh just hike and take pictures" I say.
"are you a professional photographer?"
"no"
"because if you are and you're going to publish the photos in any way - you need a permit"
"nope not a professional"
"when are you going" she asked
"I don't have a set date yet, just doing my home work on the area"
"Well it may be best that you don't go up there cuz it's pretty overgrown. I've been up there"
"and there have been sightings of coyotes and a mountain lion"
"I'm not too worried about them - I'm more concern about other humans" I say
and I'm thinking to myself, if you've been up there, then I can go up there!!

"Are you going for just the day?"
"yes"
"how far do you intend to go?"
"I don't know yet"
"you'll need an adventure pass to park your car"
"Indeed - thank you for that reminder"

Anyway, just seems like she was trying to keep me out no matter what I was doing up there.
Left a bad taste in my mouth.

I fear what she would say if I mentioned I was going to go prospecting!!

My suggestion is that you call back and talk to the same person. Without disclosing your name tell her you want to extensively explore the area, thoroughly prospecting all likely mineral deposits for the purpose of staking multiple mining claims. Record this conversation and make sure to get her name. (voice recordings only require consent if they will be used on court)
I think you will be alarmed at what she tells you.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe the inquiry was regarding land within the recently established Nat'l Monument. I believe filing in the Monument would be a waste of time and money. The status prior to that was literally a checkerboard of open and withdrawn land.

I'm not saying not to make the call. In fact I'd like to hear the reply.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I didn't see mention of monument but if it is then no mining :censored:

hoochiemama

Greenie
May 28, 2014
Cheyoming
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been my experience that the Nat'l For. folks nation wide would love nothing more than to close all properties to all access to all people! They would claim it's because of budget constraints. If the local regs (city, county, state, federal) allow the kind of prospecting you want to do, then I offer this advise: "It is better to seek forgiveness . . . than to get permission"! Go for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread